Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kelly
Expert September 2019 Manitoba

Florist Demanding Full Decor Control

Kelly, on May 1, 2018 at 13:21 Posted in DIY 0 13

My fiance and I are real DIYers and were planning on doing a lot of the smaller decor items ourselves. Like signage, centerpieces, etc.

We had a consultation with our florist, and she sent us the contract and floral proposal. Now...she was having a contest for a couple to win an extra $1000 worth of flowers, so in our consultation she got us to tell her what we would do if we had a bigger budget.

K...so we didn't win the contest, and we were really only planning on getting bouquets and a large floral decor piece for the ceremony from her because it would be much cheaper to buy everything else in bulk and DIY the rest.

Here's the rub though. Her contract specifies that she has to be the sole provider of flowers and floral decor. We can't get greenery from another source or even use fake flowers from Michael's or whatever.

So what do we do? Just suck it up and go with her for everything? Some of the things we were going to DIY were fake flowers and greenery on our welcome sign and card box.

I LOVE DIYing stuff. So I'm bummed that 1. I don't get do do my arts and crafts thing, and 2. That I'm basically being stopped from saving money.

Has anybody else encountered something like this with their florist? Need some advise.

We haven't put a deposit down yet, so we're not tied to anything. She's an acquaintance though so it might be weird to not go with her now.

13 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on May 2, 2018 at 19:43
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You should check out flower depot in Mississauga and buy bulk without any strings attached. You will save more since its an auction place. Don't contract with tje florist due to her terms which sounds ridiculous.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If the only "professional" flowers you wanted were bouquets and one larger centrepiece... I'd strongly urge you to look into Costco flowers. I'm just getting bouquets and boutonnieres, and I'm saving hundreds of dollars.

Even if you go with another option though, I wouldn't drop extra money, and give up your crafts, just for her stick-in-the-mud type contract... Definitely address her about it, see if she really means you can't do anything yourself, and if that's the case, just nicely explain to her, your DIY projects and additional decor take priority over picking her specifically...

I love DIY, and plan to do as much as possible for my wedding... if you give that up just to use a certain florist, I think you'll regret it. I know how much fun I have with DIY, and the pride when you see it come together.... don't lose that if it's something you want!!!

Also, a big floral budget when you don't need to have it, will feel like a waste of money later.

• Natalee
    Curious October 2018 Ontario
    Natalee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow that’s insane. I’d look elsewhere too. No one should tell you what to do on YOUR wedding day!!!
  • Carmela
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Carmela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don’t like what that vendor is doing.. THIS IS YOUR WEDDING, not hers.
    You should keep looking, at least you now know what your looking for in your do’s and don’ts in vendors.

you should be able to do what you want, add what you want and create what you want at your wedding.
    and spend how much you want!

Good luck hun!
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with others - go somewhere else. Sounds to me like she is not the kind of florist I'd want to work with!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Did you already pay a deposit and/or the full amount? If so, just argue that she's only being used for the ceremony and not the reception. What is she going to do? Spy on your wedding to ensure you don't have anything else going on post-ceremony?

• Lucy
    Frequent user July 2019 Ontario
    Lucy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you're just looking at her for the ceremony flowers, I would think you would be okay to DIY the reception. It's not like you're going to be intermingling the different vendors. I'd argue that you were hiring her for the ceremony only and the reception is a separate event.

• Jackie
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Honestly I’d go with someone else!! She has not right to tell you what you can or cannot do for you decor!! Unless it’s a rule at your venue, then that’s different. Otherwise friend or not go with another who will only sell you what you want.
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve never heard of this I’d find another florist to compare with!
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For me personally I'd look for a new florist. We are also doing a lot of decor ourselves and only going to the florist for bouquets. There are plenty of amazing florists that just do the bouquets and it saves tons of money.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Since you know her have you mentioned you had hopes and ideas to do some fake floral DIY?

It seems to be a strange rule to me... it would be like a photographer saying no other guest can take photos with their phone?

I would talk to her and see if she really does mind! And if it is a huge thing for you I'd even tell her that you would be considering looking elsewhere than because doing these DIYs is a big part of your wedding vision and fun!

Don't be scared to be stern, this is your day and YOU are dropping a lot of money on it! If you want to do something no one has the right to get in your way.

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I get that part of it too. She wants to maintain the integrity of her business. But also, we were going to do greenery for cnetrepieces, and we were planning on getting it bulk from Costco to cut costs, because what she's charging is insane. She's not setting up for us, so we'd be the ones putting the greenery out, and it would literally just be laying stems down the length of the table. There isn't really a "design" element to it.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This seems a bit outrageous to me. A lot of vendors will want to make sure that no other florists are being used, so that if their work is subpar, people wont' think its the original vendors work.

I would honestly speak with her and tell her what you are looking for, and that you wanted to DIY the stuff you mentioned and it would not be another vendor coming in. She might be okay with it. If she Is not okay with it, I would look elsewhere.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics