Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ashleigh
Devoted August 2018 Ontario

First Look

Ashleigh, on September 22, 2017 at 22:48 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 20
Are you doing a first look with your photographer?Or are you waiting until the ceremony to see your bride/groom?
Our wedding is at 7:00 pm, we've decided to have a first look around 5, then get the majority of our pictures with family and the wedding party. Then get some bride and groom shots after our ceremony ends and the sun is setting. I've been getting some mixed reactions when I've mentioned this. To be fair, this is our wedding day and we want to spend some of the day together, celebrating! Since we have a late start, we have to get the ball rolling earlier. I've had to explain to my parents that "first looks" are common now a days. Also I don't think my nerves could handle waiting until the ceremony to see the groom, it would be equivalent to shaking a pop can all day. I'm super emotional. Haha.

20 Comments

Latest activity by Michelle, on January 24, 2018 at 13:39
  • Michelle
    Beginner June 2018 British Columbia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Do we wear our wedding bands during the photos shoot for first look
  • Helen
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Helen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I CANNOT wait for him to see me walking down the aisle. Every wedding I go to, when the music starts, everyone looks at the bride- except me, i look at the groom. It is the most magical, pure, raw moment when they see the most beautiful thing they have ever seen come towards him. One day, that look will be exclusively be for me, and it will be the most amazing thing I will have ever layed my eyes on. Luckily we are both adament about no peeking before the ceremony!

• H
    Frequent user June 2019 Ontario
    Hj ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yep. do your wedding however you like, but at least know the misogynistic history of the traditions you love so much.

• Chloe
    Super May 2018 Ontario
    Chloe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're both pretty traditional. We'll wait to see each other until I walk down the aisle. But I think we will pray with each other beforehand around a corner or through a door.
  • Ashley
    Expert March 2018 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am hoping my first look will clam my tears too! Plus I am so nervous about having all eyes on me walking down the isle that having a first look will hopefully keep me calm and excited to see my almost husband walking down the isle!

• Melinda
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Melinda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did a first look and it was really fun! We had a morning/brunch wedding so the ceremony started at 11:30am which did not leave much time for the first look. We had originally wanted to do bride and groom pics before the ceremony, but we realized early on that our timeline would not work for that. Our first look took probably only 5 minutes, because it happened just before I walked down the aisle, but we got some cute pictures and it was a really nice moment. I have to say that it was different than I expected. I expected to be really anxious and nervous, but actually I was not at all. I was just happy and joyful and relaxed. One of my biggest advice for future brides - despite all the anxiety you may feel now when you are planning all the details, the day of your wedding will be magical. You will be surrounded by so much love and joy that you won't have a care in the world, whether you do a first look or not!

first look

first look 2first look 3

• Ashleigh
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Ashleigh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We are the same person!!! I don't think it's fair to say that seeing eachother beforehand will lessen the magical feeling of seeing your groom waiting for you at the end of the aisle. Nothing could lessen the feeling of that moment.
  • Amber
    Devoted September 2018 Alberta
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are also doing a first look. I am a crier and I am hoping the first look will calm me down a bit. I think it is going to be a very special moment seeing each other for the first time, and I wanted to keep that moment private. I also don't think seeing each other before I walk down the aisle will take the magic out of that moment. Walking down the aisle is going to be magical no matter what. Do what you feel is important to you, it is your day.

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've seen some gorgeous pictures of first looks, but I kept it traditional and we waited until the ceremony to see each other. We were able to get all the pictures we wanted during the cocktail hour. But if you would feel more comfortable and relaxed then you should totally do a first look!

• Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it’s personal preference. I wanted to keep a little bit of tradition, so I wanted the first look to be at the ceremony.
  • Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wanted to. But honestly we’re getting married at 2 pm. It would be a little of a time crunch.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We aren't doing a first look. He wanted to be surprised by me as he has no idea what I will be wearing. I am very excited!

• Randa
    Curious July 2018 Ontario
    Randa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There is something magical about walking down the aisle and having your husband to be see you for the first time in your wedding dress. It has the music playing and all the guests are looking at you, but you are looking at him and that moment is truly priceless. Everyone has to do what works best for them on their wedding day, but this is truly a moment that cannot ever be recaptured.

• Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're doing a first look in the afternoon, family and group photos, and then ceremony and a few more photos, and then reception.

• Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I didn't personally want to do a first look and we both agreed on it! plus my ceremony was at 2, and so it was already an early start for me, I wasn't going to do any earlier to do that!! But some of the photos you get from first looks are really beautiful! And if that is what you as a couple want to do, then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks! It also makes perfect sense to do it before, when you have a much later ceremony like that!
  • Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We aren't doing a first look. We've been together almost 10 years and in all the talks we've had about the wedding, this is the one thing neither of us has ever budged on. It's a special day, one you obviously don't plan on ever doing again, and so we wanted the full effect of both of us all dressed up seeing each other just before we become man and wife. Idk, just something we both wanted, just to stick to the tradition I guess. Lol. My family actually has a bet going around wether or not he will cry as I walk down the isle. Haha.
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We will be doing all first look and all of our photos (except family photos) before our ceremony. We wanted to be able to spend more time relaxing and talking to our guests at the reception Smiley smile
  • Alanah
    Frequent user July 2018 British Columbia
    Alanah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Marriage is a commitment not a tradition. The tradition of not seeing the bride before the wedding began when women were traded for cows and sheep. It became tradition that the bride and groom didn't even meet until the ceremony so the groom couldn't back out if he didn't find her attractive. LOL. Not a tradition I care to participate in, but to each his own.
  • Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Marriage is an old school tradition! LOL! The first look has become a popular thing to do, but we won't be doing it. The first time he sees me completely dressed in wedding garb will be when I walk down the aisle. It will be a very emotional moment. If anyone wants to do a first look, go ahead. It's your wedding so you have it the way you like it.

• Alanah
    Frequent user July 2018 British Columbia
    Alanah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing a first look just to save time between the ceremony and reception. It all depends how you feel I don't believe in any of those old school traditions.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics