Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sheri-Lyn
Frequent user May 2022 Ontario

First Look

Sheri-Lyn, on June 26, 2019 at 11:01 Posted in Before the wedding 0 22

I am curious to know what everyone's experience was with a first look. My fiancee wants to stick with the more traditional waiting for the ceremony. But I think if we did a first look we get to share that moment between us and have few moments together before the rest of the day.

22 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on June 28, 2019 at 10:42
  • Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I won't be doing a first look with my FH as I want him to see me for the first time walking down the aisle, although I will be doing a first look with my Father, after I am done getting ready!! Smiley smile

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think we're doing the first look but I am going to try to knock out a few photos before the ceremony, like family ones.

• Katelyn
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm not doing a first look with my FH because I want him to see me coming down the aisle. But I am doing a first look with my dad (who is totally going to cry) because he also has no idea what I'm going to look like.
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did a first look and I do not regret it for one moment. It was so special to just be alone for that moment and I feel it did not take away from the ceremony at all. I still was a ball of nerves as I walked down the aisle and both of us cried even though we had done a first look.
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We didn't do a first look
    to each their own but we wanted the first look to be me walking down the aisle and the videos and pictures I have of the raw emotion and reactions are priceless.
  • Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is why my fiancé and I intend to do a first look as well!

• Allison
    Frequent user June 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did first look and I don't regret it at all! It was nice to get photos done before our ceremony of the two of us as well as all the wedding party photos.

I was a huge bundle of nerves going up to the ceremony and I think it helped knowing the groom and groomsmen had already seen me, I am not one to want to be the centre of attention. I think if we had waited, I would have been stressing over him seeing me for the first time, just wanting to run to him as well as stressing for time for photos after.

Now that the day has come and gone, even with three families, we had so much time for photos and mingling it was something I shouldn't have stressed so much about.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's what I'm thinking too! Just being able to talk to my FH will probably help

• Sheri-Lyn
    Sheri-Lyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is also my thought, I will be nervous and shy I am sure and just to get the chance to have a moment with him and not actually see him he can calm my nerves before going out in front of everyone. And I have fallen in love with the pictures I have seen on FB. I think I will really like if we do a first touch.

• Melissa
    Curious September 2020 British Columbia
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So, originally FH didn't want to do a first look. I kind of took that at face value and started trying to plan around it. We ended up having a discussion regarding the logistics and pros/cons of traditional vs. first look and ultimately FH agreed that it made sense for us to do the first look.

Sometimes our first instinct is that what is traditional is normal/right, and it makes it hard to deviate. So while his first instinct was waiting to see me for the first time while walking down the aisle, after discussing we decided that we would rather be spending the time between the ceremony and reception with guests instead of taking pictures, and that it wouldn't be any less exciting or special for us when he saw me at the end of the aisle because that is still a significant moment, regardless of whether he's already seen me that day.

Ultimately it comes down to what you and FH want, and what is important to both of you. For some people seeing each other for the first time in that moment is very precious and important, and that's okay. As long as you have reasons that feel right to you, I think either way is totally valid.

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ultimately it comes to what you and your FH want.

We are doing a first look. Our ceremony is at 5 and then reception right after, so we don't want to feel rushed with pictures in between, and we want to enjoy the cocktail hour with our guests.

This will give us a half an hour together to take in the moment and get out any jitters before the ceremony!

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm thinking of doing a first touch too! I want the first time my FH sees me is down the aisle, but I think this will help calm nerves.

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We’re also doing a first touch. I just fell in love with the Pinterest photos I’ve seen of them
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not everyone will do a first look. It is up to you two to decide the direction thats works.

Traditional is also nice and for your husband to see you at the alter.
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

What Brittany suggested is exactly what I was going to say. Its a nice happy medium.

Friends of mine just got married and did this. They got some photos back and the ones from that moment are so special.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will be doing this so that we can avoid having a cocktail hour where we would normally take pictures and just do them after the first look. Plus we only have one photographer and they wouldn't be able to get both of our reactions if we are opposite sides of the aisle!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re doing a first look and I think that’s what I’m most excited about! Getting to share that special time before the ceremony and craziness of the day gets to you. We’re also doing all of our pictures beforehand, so a first look makes sense to us.
  • Sheri-Lyn
    Sheri-Lyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you!

• Brittany
    Devoted August 2019 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

There's an article on wedding wire with a few pro's and cons of the first look.

Ultimately it's you and your fiances call, and what makes you most comfortable.

https://www.weddingwire.ca/wedding-ideas/the-pros-and-cons-of-doing-a-first-look--c379

• K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No wrong answer on this one, I think either way is special and totally up to the couple.

As for my experience, we didn't do a first look and waited for the ceremony to see each other for the first time. I remember the doors opening, standing at the foot of the aisle, looking up, and seeing him looking at me right away. Still felt pretty special and it was a moment between us even as the others watched us.

• Sheri-Lyn
    Sheri-Lyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is what I suggested as well if if we decided to wait. I have seen a few photos like this and loved this idea too.
  • Brittany
    Devoted August 2019 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are not doing a first look as my fiance wants that traditional moment.. but we still wanted a special moment before the festivities.

First Touch IdeaFirst Look 1

Our photographer recommended a first touch, and said it still makes for a beautiful photo opp, and you don't spoil the surprise until coming down the aisle.

Basically you stand around a corner or door or etc from each other. You can read each other heart felt notes, or just talk openly to calm the nerves. Hold each others hands, but without seeing the other. Smiley smile

Kinda the middle compromise ground between waiting until the ceremony, and doing a first look.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics