Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alexandra
Beginner March 2022 Ontario

First dance songs

Alexandra, on October 15, 2018 at 09:57 Posted in Wedding reception 0 25

Lets hear them! what have you all selected for your first dance, mother son dance, father daughter dance....

Is anyone doing anything not traditional? Funny dances? Bridal party dances?

Ill be dancing with my mom instead of a father daughter dance to a song that was her and my dads first dance song.

Share!

25 Comments

Latest activity by Alexis, on November 2, 2018 at 12:05
  • Alexis
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My husband and I had our first dance to My Heart's Always Yours by the Arkells. We love them, and found an acoustic version.

Father/Daughter was Delaney Talks to Statues by Jimmy Buffett. My dad raised me on Jimmy Buffett so I surprised him with this song.

Mother/Son was Loves Me Like a Rock by Paul Simon.

And our first party song was We No Speak Americano. My best friend passed away 6 years ago, but taught me and a bunch of our friends this awfully cheesy, but super easy dance to this song in university. So anyone who knew the dance, or was interested in learning the dance was able to participate before opening the dance floor.
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I love this idea! Great song!
  • Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Love that version for your first dance!
  • Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did

from the ground up by Dan and Shay for our first dance

it won’t be like this for long by Darius Rucker for father daughter dance

and

I hope you dance by Lee Ann Womack for mother son dance
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It really is! We went to Paul McCartney last month too! I’ve known this song for awhile and have always loved it. The concert was amazing, we both knew it would be one of his songs or a Beatles song for our first dance. (I’m a huge fan) and the concert was such an incredible time.
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Isn't it lovely?

We were at the Paul McCartney concert last month, and that's the first time I ever heard it. We both looked at each other and were like "This. We're dancing to this"

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We are doing the same song for our first dance!!
  • E
    Newbie June 2021 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Brown Eyed Girl (Van Morrison Cover) by Candace Leca & Michael Paglia! Could be for the Father Daughter dance or Bride & Groom first dance or walking down the aisle!Smiley smile

"Brown Eyed Girl" Van Morrison (Acoustic Cover) - Candace Leca (NEW GIRL)

• Angel
    Frequent user June 2019 British Columbia
    Angel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our first dance is "Beautiful in White" by Westlife! That is the only dance because we want to open up the floor to the rest of the guests and plus our parents are not big on dancing!

Westlife - Beautiful in White

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Calico Skies by Paul McCartney is our first dance song.

Other than that we haven't decided anything. Not sure we're doing parents dances.

Calico Skies - Paul McCartney

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

YESSSSS!!!!! that's awesome!

• Lyla
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Lyla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We chose 500 miles- sleeping at last for our first dance and my father daughter dance was walk with you- Edwin McCain ❤️
  • Julia
    Frequent user August 2019 Alberta
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiancé picked our song himself and it’s going to be The One by Gary Allan. It’s so beautiful! And he chose Fore She Was Mama by Clay Walker for his dance with his mom. It’s more of a fun song. I’m still totally undecided on what to do for the father/daughter....
  • Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our first dance song will be Grow Old With You by Adam Sandler, it's on The Wedding Singer!

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We went fairly traditional with dances for ours.

Our First Dance was Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran (my choice was I'll be by Ed McCain but my partner won that)

The Mother/Son Dance song was What a Beautiful World

My Father/Daughter dance song was 'It's for my dad' by Nancy Sinatra.. I loved it.

My friend did Edelweiss (a big orchestra version of the song) for her Father/Daughter dance and it was amazing.

• Erin
    Curious April 2020 Alberta
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My Mom & Dad's wedding dance was "paradise by the dashboard light" -Meatloaf. According to my Mom by the end of the song the whole crowd was involved and they did a bit of the routine from the video. Unfortunately my Dad past away last year, so instead of a Father-Daughter dance I am going to have my Mom introduce the song at the end of her Speech and kick off the party with Meatloaf!

Also, currently trying to convince my spouse to do our first dance as a quick two-step to FGL SIMPLE.

• Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

First dance is "say you won't let go". Father-daughter dance is "celebration" because my dad wants to do a disco number (he's really excited, I couldn't say no). Mother-son dance still outstanding because leaving things to my groom is such a time sink....

• Krystal
    Newbie June 2020 Ontario
    Krystal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Mine by disturbed is going to be pour first dance
  • Donna
    Devoted July 2019 Ontario
    Donna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our first song is as follows " All of the above" by T. Carter, the song makes me cry everytime I hear it, it's so us. With my Dad "Daddy" Abby Anderson, have 2 sons , Oldest Son What a wonderful World by Louis Armstrong my youngest son Lady Marion - Clannad the Bestman not sure the other groomsman haven't decided yet. Since my Fiancee's parents are both deceased he will dance with my mom have not told me as of yet, something slow my parents are both in their 80's I suggested Tchaikovsky Walkz of the Flowers and Maid of Honor , Matron of Honor and the remaining bridesmaids

• Tracy
    Devoted September 2018 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My husband and I had our first dance to BTWN US "perfect/can't help falling in love" my husband and his mom danced to lynyrd skynyrd "simple man" and I danced with my dad to Zac Brown Band "I'll be your man"
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our first dance is "From The Ground Up" by Dan & Shay... I've been trying to listen to it a lot so I can make it through the whole thing without crying Smiley xd

Dan + Shay - From The Ground Up (Official Music Video)

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

He has a sister that is in the wedding party. My parents accepted him into the family long before we were engaged and my mom already thinks of him as her son(-in-law) so that's why I was thinking it would be nice.

We don't want to to do too many special songs since we want guests on the dance floor as soon as possible, so we'd might do 1 song and I switch between dads halfway through.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Does your FH have a grandmother, sister or maybe an aunt that he's close to? My cousin's father wanted nothing to do with the Father/Daughter dance or getting any type of attention at the wedding so instead she danced with her sister.

As for us, we'll only use 1 song the parent/kid dance, as we want our guests to hit the dance floor as fast as possible.

First Dance : Baby I love your way - Peter Frampton;

Parent/Kid song : Not decided yet, but "What a wonderful world" by Louis Armstrong and "The Way You Look Tonight" by Frank Sinatra are definitely in the mix.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I haven’t decided on all the songs yet, but I know for my first dance with my future hubby we have picked Tenerife Sea by Ed Sheeran, Which is beautiful and since Ed Sheeran got us talking in the first place it needed to be him.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We haven't selected any songs officially, but the song 500 miles is significant in our relationship and I found a lovely acoustic version of it that I want to do for our first dance lol.

Still working out if we'll even do parent dance since my FH and his mom have a toxic relationship, haven't spoken in years, she's not invited, etc. He might dance with my mom, but then do I do two dances with each dad?

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have yet to finalize any songs just yet but that's probably because I have so many that I love!! Here are some for the first dance:

Young And Beautiful - Lana Del Rey

No Matter Where You Are - Us The Duo

First Day Of My Life - Bright Eyes

Better Together - Jack Johnson

Beautiful Thing - Grace VanderWaal

As you can see, there are quite a lot of them and for the most part they have different sounds and tempos to them.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics