Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Curious May 2020 Yucatán

First Dance Song

Megan, on October 18, 2019 at 12:30 Posted in Wedding reception 0 15

I feel like we all have that one song that you always dream to dance to on your wedding day, has yours changed since planning your wedding? My fiance and I are having a tough time agreeing on a song to dance to! He wants us to dance to A Million Dreams from The Greatest Showman (we always sing that song together in the car) and as much as I love the song, it's so long! Like 4.5 minutes. I'm not sure I can deal with awkwardly slow dancing for that long lol. My dad has offered to take our favourite parts of the song and cut it so it's a bit shorter so there's that. Did anyone else have a hard time agreeing on a song? I feel like I give my fiance a new song suggestion every week but he is dead set on this one. What song are you/did you dance to for your first dance? I'd love to hear!

15 Comments

Latest activity by Danielle, on November 7, 2019 at 17:22
  • Danielle
    Frequent user July 2022 Manitoba
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

When You Say Nothing At All. Not the Alison Krauss version (for some reason her voice gets on my nerves). We were at a rodeo in July 2015 and a guy named Quinton Blair (look him up, seriously) sang that song. That was our first ever slow dance. So obviously we have to recreate it (although we're more coordinated now LOL).

• Alicia
    Newbie November 2019 Ontario
    Alicia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This was a hard one as my fiancé and I went threw so many songs . First of all don’t put so much pressure on it . It took till 2 weeks before the wedding for us to find a song . Is there an artist you both like ? . It does not have to be a song that already had meaning . You give meaning to the song 😊
  • S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FH picked our song, which I love myself is, the flower song by Tom Keifer.

• Nelly
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Nelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our first dance song hasn't changed at all. We both knew that we were dancing to our song "One Call Away" it's been our song since we started dating

• A
    Devoted July 2023 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our first dance song hasn’t changed since the start of our planning. It is actually a bit of a shock that the song we are using was picked by my FH. He and I have very different tastes in music, so when he told me that he found the perfect song for us I automatically thought it would be something that I would definitely not care for. However, I was wrong and I loved it! 4.5 minutes may seem like a long time especially if you feel like you have a thousand eyes on you but it goes by fast. It is the perfect time to just be with each other in a moment drown everyone out, sing to each other if you want or even just check in with each other at that point, as the day can get very hectic and you may feel like you haven’t had a chance to breathe. From the many weddings I have attended and observed during the first dance those that pay attention to the whole dance are those that are the closest to the bride and groom, parents/siblings/grandparents/friends etc. If that still makes you uncomfortable then doing a shorter version or inviting guests to join or even just the bridal party is a good option like others have suggested.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I like the idea of putting your favourite parts together. And like Tori said you can invite your wedding party to the dance floor for the second half of the song.
    Picking our first dance was the one thing I knew from the beginning. My Husband was ok with whatever I picked. So we used From The Ground Up by Dan and Shay!
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our first dance song was the only thing that didn't change throughout our planning. Ever since we started dating, almost 9 years ago, we had "our" song, so it was pretty easy for us to pick it. The song is also a little over 4 minutes, but that time went by so fast. It was nice to have that little bit of time together, in each others arms. So I wouldn't worry about the length of the song, imo!

• Kat D
    Frequent user April 2021 Manitoba
    Kat D ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Try searching for a cover on Youtube that might be shorter. My father/daughter dance song is November Rain but the Guns n’ Roses version is 7 minutes, I found an acoustic cover on Youtube that’s under 5 ☺️ my fiance & I chose Wild Horses covered by The Sundays because that version was the first song we danced too when we were first dating.
  • R
    Devoted November 2019 Quebec
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I like the idea shortening it, or you can also fade out after a few ninutes.

Deciding our song nearly destroyed the marriage before it even started lol. We never had "our song" as teenagers we thought we were cooler then that. Now though I wish we did. I had a few suggestions he had a few, we made a list of 10, then we vetoed 1 song each continuously. My first thing off the list was "die mthr fckr die" (jokes of course) we got down to 3 songs 1 we sing together all the time (baby i love your way- big mountain) and 2 that i chose that he also liked ( heaven- kane brown and kiss me- dont remember the artist). Easy enough but then he wouldnt chose one so i made a playlist of all 3 and that ALL we listened to for 2 days were those 3 song. He comes storming in on the third day turns to me and goes "all day ive been singing that stupid heaven song at work guess thatll be our song!" Then jokingly huffed away. So heaven by kane brown is going to be our first dance lol
  • Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We actually picked ours when we were driving to go look at our venue for the first time. It just came on in the car and we both thought that would be a great song for our first dance. We chose True Colors by Cyndi Lauper.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Im impartial to any songs lol so we may just pick a random song. i would suggest if you both like that song then shorten it! youre DJ can even do that for you!

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Me and FH have VERY different musical tastes lol the only thing we can agree on is Ed Sheeran, so it's good he has a few great songs to choose from.

FH was scared our first song would be a country song. I told him I never considered it since he isn't really into it except the odd song here and there.
    Either cutting down your song or inviting everyone up to start the party are both good ways to deal with any awkwardness.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We disagreed on lots of songs before finally choosing 'the one'. I am not a dancer plus I'm awkward when I'm dancing so a first dance isn't even something I'm necessarily excited about.

However, I do love the song.

I think as long as you love the song, it won't matter. If you can cut the 4.5 minutes down, I think that's a great compromise. Otherwise you can always go through some other wedding songs and see if there's anything else you might like!

• M
    Curious May 2020 Yucatán
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha that's so funny he ended up picking the song you suggested from the beginning! Yeah I think we're going to go with A Million Dreams but just cut it down a little. That's a good idea to invite the wedding party and parents to join us at the end!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

YUP!!!

Funny story - I had a few songs I suggested to my Husband and he said no to all of them. Then when the time came and I told him he picks one by the said deadline I gave him or I pick it myself, and he picks a song that I had suggested from the beginning!!

In the end we picked a song we both liked and meant a lot to us but that took like a year and a half....

1. I say that you have time - maybe a new song will come out.

2. You could always do what me and my DH did; invite the wedding party or parents to join you on the dance floor for the second half of the song?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics