Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Skylor
Frequent user August 2020 Ontario

Finances and location

Skylor, on October 24, 2019 at 14:31 Posted in Honeymoon 0 10
Hello,

I had set aside what I though was well enough money to book my honeymoon ($8000). I was really hoping to go to Fiji and I had looked at Expedia and it seems to be enough. But, everytime I speak to an agent about booking this trip they all tell me that I need a bigger budget. Are they just trying to get more money out of me? Should I just book the trip through Expedia on my own? I really don't feel comfortable increasing my budget so I won't. But I really don't want to miss out. Any one in a similar situation or have any advice?

10 Comments

Latest activity by Skylor, on December 2, 2019 at 22:31
  • Skylor
    Skylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hello Bianca,
    I am hopping to go for two weeks.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Skylor, how long do you plan to go on your honeymoon for? I ask just because I'm sure your experience will change if your $8000 budget is for a week versus 2 weeks.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would book it on my own. i feel like everytime i book with a travel agent its more expensive.

• Skylor
    Skylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's excellent Smiley smile
  • Vanessa
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

YESSS TripAdvisor is so great! When we were in Europe and didn't know where to go for dinners we looked on TripAdvisor for ones that had great reviews in our area. I booked my mini-moon from reviews on TripAdvisor. We chose to go to Mexico and I ended up choosing a resort that had 14K reviews total on TripAdvisor, 10K of them were 'Excellent'. The reviews were spot on!

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I second TripAdvisor - once I booked my honeymoon I check every single day for reviews on our resort (plus I love new pictures).

I think your budget really depends on a few factors i.e., day of the week you're leaving and coming back, flight times, type of hotel you're staying in and the duration of the trip. Fiji is quite a trek, so I imagine the flights would be pretty expensive?

I've always used a travel agent and gotten the best deal (and I always continue to check different sites even after I book because my travel agents honour a cheaper rate, if I find one - and I haven't yet!!).

Shop around for travel agents (and different agencies) - they're like any and all professions, some people are genuinely interested in getting you the best deal, others just want to do the bare minimum and collect their paycheck. Let them know you've found X on Expedia and they can let you know if you can match it, etc.

• Skylor
    Skylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! I'll have a look Smiley smile
  • M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    If you haven't already, I would recommend you check out TripAdvisors forum. It is divided by location so there would be one for Fiji and then sub-boards for specific islands.
    I have found a wealth of knowledge there that has benefitted every trip I've planned. They should be able to help you with figuring out th transportation piece.
  • Skylor
    Skylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Meaghan,
    So I have never actually used a travel agent before. I always book though Expedia. But I figured that there might be more included in the vacation through an agent (honeymoon perks). But it seems that what I want is way too expensive thought them. I am only nervous about booking through Expedia because I am worried about getting to the hotel from the airport. I know some of the locations in French Polynesia are on small islands and I am worried about trying to get there on my own accord and it possibly costing me more.
    I hadn't considered telling them the deal I found. I will for sure do that. Thank you!
  • M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely book on expedia if it has good deal. Have you told them you have found a vacation you are interested within your price range? They may match it or at least expand on their thoughts if there is an expense you are not accounting for.
    I never use travel agents anymore, I book it all myself after researching the location extensively.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics