Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Peggy
Super May 2019 Alberta

Fiancé might not get time off....!

Peggy, on January 8, 2019 at 17:31 Posted in Before the wedding 0 12

My fiance started working for our city transit group about 17 months ago. At that point, as well as 6 months ago when he double checked, he was told time off for his wedding wouldn't be a problem - his supervisor could make an exception for 'life events'.

Well, apparently that's changed. We just found out that my FH might not be able to get time off for the wedding and/or the honeymoon (on May 4 this year!), despite what he was told when he was hired.

And we won't know until sometime next month.
It's causing me huge anxiety, since this came out of the blue! Everything is booked and paid for already, based on what he had been told, for the wedding and our honeymoon.

12 Comments

Latest activity by Hélène, on January 10, 2019 at 02:08
  • Hélène
    Devoted September 2019 Alberta
    Hélène ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I won't know for sure if I'll get my vacation picks this year, but in my industry people are really good about shift trades and giveaways to make things happen. It might be a hit to the pocketbook short term, but when he returns the shift trade, it'll balance out. I hope transit operates similarly and he can get the time off one way or another!

• Donna
    Devoted July 2019 Ontario
    Donna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

WOW I do feel for you both. But there is a decision to be made here. If your fiance' talks with his Boss about getting time off and he was promised. I looked up Marriage Leave I thought it was a joke but it's true. You will just have to show his Boss that everything has been paid for. Labour Broad maybe have to come in. It's more of a dispute My son-in-law has a Boss like that. It's not a very nice.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am so sorry Peggy! I think this is the last thing most of us worry about, we assume most employers understand. But it’s not always that easy when they aren’t the ones making the decisions. I’m going to tell my FH to book time off now, considering we are less then 4 months away! Not to mention we are staying for 5 nights so he will need a week off as well. Yikes. Thank you for posting this. I really hope it works out for you guys, and whoever makes the decision has some insight to how important this is for your FH.
  • Paige
    Frequent user June 2019 Manitoba
    Paige ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Eek, I feel for ya! That would stress me out so much. Thinking of you and your FH and hoping he’ll get it off! 🤞🏻
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sending all the good vibes and crossing all the fingers for you!!!

that must be so frustrating to deal with. i'm so sorry.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That is super frustrating and I feel for you Peggy!

My FH is in law enforcement and he just started a new position back in November. Usually in the first year, he wouldn't be allowed to take vacation time, which is when our wedding/honeymoon is that is paid for/definitely happening! We do need some extra time since our wedding is a 2 hour plane ride/18 hour drive from where we live and our honeymoon is right after.

When he was hired, he told his supervisor about our plans and he was told it wouldn't be a problem. If he works stat holidays he gets a day in the bank which he can use towards vacation time, and could also take unpaid leave, which is not ideal. I'm worried that closer to the date they are going to tell him what they told your FH and I'm stressed out about it!

I would have your FH talk more with his union and explain the situation. People must know how much weddings/honeymoon costs and how those plans can't change last minute! I hope he can work something out - it's not like he can't attend his own wedding/honeymoon

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, that's true, but no where in the regulations does it mention weddings or other life events. That's the problem.

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's precisely what the union is for IF it is something he is supposed to get that they aren't giving him. Unfortunately, in the contract for the union, 'life events' is vague and does not include the honeymoon.

In other words - the union will intervene if needed for the wedding day itself, but not for the day before to get the hall ready, or the day after to tear down the hall, or for the honeymoon.

His supervisor is going to try and help but it's not up to him; it's up to someone in dispatching, which is another department.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hmm. Never knew that.

i assumed that’s what unions are for, to ensure employees are getting what they are entitled to. Maybe he can speak to his union?

hopefully it works out!!
  • Katelyn
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Www.alberta.ca/employment-standards-changes.aspx

Hope this helps. Just the labour laws for alberta. I only skimmed it. But if he has been employed for 90 days then he is entitled to leave.
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

In a regular company, that might work. Unfortunately, with a union and with the city, it doesn't. He tried.

His supervisor did say that May isn't super popular for vacations, so he has a shot of being able to book it, but it's not guaranteed. Smiley sad

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would go back and tell my boss that based on them telling me it would not be a problem I have paid for my wedding and honeymoon.

That’s so aggravating for you guys! I’m so angry for you.

i hope it all works out in your favour. Sending positive vibes!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics