Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Fiancé(e) Friday - who brought up marriage first?

Joey, on May 3, 2019 at 08:05 Posted in WeddingWire 0 27

We know which one of you was the first to bring up the L word, and now we want to know who was the first to bring up the M word! Who first brought up the topic of marriage? Do you remember the first time it was mentioned? Did it just slip out, was it a planned talk, a joke, or did it not come up until the proposal?

Who brought up marriage first, you or your fiancé(e)?

Fiancé(e) Friday - who brought up marriage first? 1

Photo by Toronto Beauty Group in Toronto

27 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on May 7, 2019 at 02:05
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I honestly can't remember, but I'm pretty sure that it was me.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I remember this so clearly!

Neil had come home with me for the Christmas break (we were in college) and my dad had just played a few board games with us and then we went downstairs to relax for a bit and he looked at me while were cuddling and he said "I'm going to marry you some day".

This was 4 months into us dating and we are getting married in 19 days Smiley smile

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am not sure who brought it up but we moved to Nova Scotia from Manitoba about 3 years into dating. Before we moved we had the conversation about being committed to one another and all of that but at that point neither of us wanted to get married. We basically just agreed it was something that would happen in the future. fast forward about 3 years and we are now married.

• Kassandra
    Frequent user May 2020 Alberta
    Kassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm pretty sure he brought it up first. He's said the only thing he would change about me is my last name 😊
  • S
    Frequent user March 2021 Ontario
    Stiffra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Seeing as we've been together since we were 14, it's hard to remember at this point who brought up marriage first but my first instinct is that we both kind of brought it up together!

• Kirsten
    Frequent user October 2025 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I kinda brought it up more starting as a joke. I have always had this thing about just going into a jewelery store and just looking. Eventually more and more I was looking more at just the rings. One day I saw one that I was obsessed with, like couldn't stop talking about it and said "damn if you got down on one knee I'd absolutely say yes" about 6-7 months later he proposed with that exact ring.
  • Danielle
    Curious July 2019 Ontario
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    In our case it only came up when he proposed. We had been living together about 6 months but I was still shocked when he asked - and impressed he remembered a comment I’d made when a friend got married nearly a year earlier about how much I prefer emeralds to diamonds. Just three months to go until I marry my best friend!
  • Claire
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My Fiance asked me one night if we ever get married and I said yes of course! He gave me a tight hug whispering " I wish I have a ring right now". Few days later in the couch he asked me to close my eyes and there he gave me a box to open and it was the most beautiful 1 carat diamong ring I've seen that it made me say yes again! Kidding.. it took me few minutes to answer when he asked will you marry me? He said those few seconds scared him. It was one of the best night ever! We are getting married 125 days from today!

Fiancé(e) Friday - who brought up marriage first? 2

Fiancé(e) Friday - who brought up marriage first? 3
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think he did. When he gave me my promise ring he told me that the ring is his promise to marry me. We were 6 months into our relationship at the time. I think that's when it was first brought up.
  • Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He did actually.. he made a comment one day saying "I cant wait to call you mrs mora" we were talking about what "pet" names we like ex) baby, hun, babe. And after he said that I never really shut up about it and always telling him that someday i'll be his wife. We both knew right away that we would get married. after dating for 3 months he left for 6 months on a military course and I knew that if we made it through that we could make it through anything. and here we are! Smiley smile yay

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It was definitely me. I wanted to make sure that we were on the same page about our future. I was sure fairly early on that we were going to get married

• Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance brought it up first. He brought it up shortly after saying that he loved me. We started dating in July 2017 and he proposed June 2018.

• Donna Yeung
    Devoted August 2018 British Columbia
    Donna Yeung ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My husband brought it up first during our first month together and it was the running joke for us for the entire year because I always said he was joking. Until it actually happened lol

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I probably did? Maybe more as a joking things like "Oh when we get married one day...." But the serious talk I think we brought up together once and it was really nice! Warmed my heart haha!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it was me, it was more wondering if he was considering marriage/kids since my ex was every against both and I didn't want to get too invested to find out I was never gonna be a bride. However, it was my parents that put the bug in my FH's ear to ask eventually lol.

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it was my fiancé as he mentioned something about asking me to marry him now (back during our first year of dating) if he could afford an engagement ring.

• Marissa
    Expert August 2019 Ontario
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Pretty certain it was me, although I held my tongue for a long time. We were long distance from the start, so we didn't want marriage to facilitate the means of being able to live in the same country. We wanted marriage to mean something, not just our ticket to seeing each other. Thankfully, he was eligible for a two-year holiday visa, and I was able to sponsor him for permanent residency after that. I knew I wanted to marry him much earlier than that, but I wanted him to be sure about it too, so I waited to be proposed to. I started hinting about two years ago though Smiley tongue
  • Marissa
    Expert August 2019 Ontario
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Pretty certain it was me, although I held my tongue for a long time. We were long distance from the start, so we didn't want marriage to facilitate the means of being able to live in the same country. We wanted marriage to mean something, not just our ticket to seeing each other. Thankfully, he was eligible for a two-year holiday visa, and I was able to sponsor him for perm
  • K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely him. He used to gaze at me early in the relationship and murmur "I'm going to marry you". Funny thing is, as the relationship progressed, we both decided that we did NOT need a wedding. Oh, we never doubted our love or commitment to each other, but we had the same thoughts about it being too big an expense, we weren't really into being the focus of a huge crowd at a big party, and we weren't having kids anyway.

Fast forward 17 years and we started talking about it again - I wanted to be husband and wife, and not just by common law default anymore, and for some reason it became important to me to marry while his mother and my grandmother were still around to see it. He quickly agreed, and we had a small wedding in September with about 40 family members there, which was perfect for us, and we can't be happier that we finally decided to do it!

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He did! We went to Mexico six months into our relationship, and went to this very swanky jewelry store on the resort to get gifts for our moms. The salesmen, who were these hilarious, suave guys in their early 50s, were teasing him about buying me something sparkly too, and he said "she'll get a ring in a year, at least now I know what she likes." My face was literally 。◕‿‿◕。

BUT I had to wait a year and 3 months for that ring... not that I was counting or anything lol

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For sure me. Prior to dating me, FH had written off marriage (based on his families experiences) but I do recall a few months into dating he asked if I had a dream wedding. And then 7 months into dating we had brunch at what will be our venue, and after leaving brunch we both kind of sheepishly talked about how cute and amazing this place was and how it would be good for a wedding EXCEPT at that time, FH would only be ok with calling it "a fancy dinner". The W word scared him up until we were officially engaged. I think alot of that was just teasing though, I always felt like he wanted to have me as his wife and now we are on that path and could not be more excited!

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I honestly don't even remember. He did give me a promise ring 6 months in. So he was thinking about it before I was.

But once it became a serious topic I was most likely the one to bring it up and start planning. We started dating in 2013, and I think around 2016 I would start saying "oh start planning for a wedding next fall". I was too excited!

• Shla
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Shla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He did. He knew I never wanted to get married again. Heck, I never wanted to the first time I was married, haha. And then he proposed and I said no - 6 times.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I honestly don’t remember. I’m sure at first one of us probably brought it up as a joke.

It became more and more talked about probably 6 months in though. After that, it became a much much more serious conversation.

He said he realized he wanted to propose immediately when I helped him get through his bar exams to become a lawyer. Funny enough, he found out he had passed both exams on the first try (YAY!) the day he was picking up my ring. So we had lots to celebrate!
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He brought it up first. He started making occasional comments like, "I can't wait to marry you" after we'd be living together for about a year, but I wanted to get through school first. So 5 months after he finished, bam.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh boy, I have no idea who brought up marriage first - it was just so mutual that I really couldn't say. I said the L word first - but he felt that way first and stands by that. As for the M word - all I know is that we started talking about it on our first vacation together to Edmonton and we decided we were done looking and it was just a matter of when I was going to pop the question to him!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He was the first to say I love you and then I was the first to bring up marriage I think! We had talked about getting a place together as we both lived far distances, instead of renting he suggested buying so we did. I said if we were there wasn't any going back and this is what I wanted in the future. He agreed and had same thoughts

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics