Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

#Fiance(e)Friday! How did you know they were "the one"?

Joey, on January 11, 2019 at 08:12 Posted in WeddingWire 0 10

When did you know your partner was the one for you? Was it love at first sight? Did they make a grand gesture that won you over? Did it seem like they were always reading your mind? Was it how they stuck by your side through a low point? Was it how they treated your family, your friends, or your pets? Or did you look across the table one day and realize "the one" had snuck up on you?

How did you know they were "the one"?

#Fiance(e)Friday! How did you know they were "the one"? 1

Photo by Tris White Photography in Surrey BC

10 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on January 20, 2019 at 18:15
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I honestly can't even remember lol. It was probably sometime within the first year of dating when I realized that this could definitely be the real thing Smiley smile

• ValĂ©rie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was definitely smitten when we first met. I wasn't looking for love and he just came into my life at a good time, I guess - I know, super cliché!

I don't think it was a specific moment, but more of an accumulation of things that made me realize he was the one. I think talking about our future was a big one Smiley smile

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I got that first flutter of utter smitten-ness the first night we were out at the same place. We'd been out with mutual friends, and we'd gone back to one friend's house. I was standing outside (in November) in just my dress I'd warn out, and I was huddled with my arms crossed. He was in the middle of a conversation with someone else, and without even stopping, mid-sentence, took of his sweater and put it on me.

*BAM*. Heart swelled, and I was hooked. Haha. Smiley heart

• Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We met on Tinder. Had the best first date ever honestly. He took me for a walk through some trails near the river, then we went for a couple drinks. It was easy to talk to him. We have been inseperable since that day. I have always been quite an independent person in relationships, but I never want him to leave my side. We have been together a bit more than a year and a half and I can count on one hand the amount of nights we have not slept in the same bed. Our souls match in such an amazing way and we long for each others contact.

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FH and I met on a dating app.. haha we went for coffee about a week after we started texting with each other - I made all of the first moves (messaging him first, giving him my phone number, asking him out for coffee, and then our next "date") haha! Our first time meeting in person we went for coffee, by the end of the nigh they had to ask us to leave because they were closing, we must have been there for about 3 hours.. the 2nd time we made plans, we went for a walk by the river, it went so well I asked him to come over the next night and I would cook supper for him.. little did he know I SUCK at cooking haha! I was so nervous ( i don't even know why I offered) anyway, that night was amazing.. he said the food was great (even though it was awful) and he was so helpful around the house - offering to do the dishes and clean up after supper, and we shared our first kiss that night.. Honestly there wasn't one specific moment where I said I knew he was the one but over the next couple of weeks my heart just grew so much and I knew that I loved him & wanted to make our relationship work. He left for 7 months after we had only been seeing each other for 3 months, he's in the military and I knew that if we could survive long distance for that long - we are absolutely meant to be together. Here we are Smiley smile

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I met my FH while in another relationship - there was no cheating or anything like that but it just happened to be when we met.

We instantly clicked and I felt more myself around him than my boyfriend at the time. It took my awhile to realize it, but my ex was really manipulative/emotionally abusive at times so I was a different version of myself that I didn't really like. Once we broke up, I took some time for myself and get back to who I was more like before dating my ex.

One day out of the blue, my FH messaged me asking if I wanted to hang out, something casual. We ended up at a coffee shop and just talked for HOURS (literally until they closed lol). My ex never wanted to talk for hours, but this guy listened to how I was healing emotionally and that I didn't think I was quite ready for a relationship yet - that didn't stop him from being my friend and he didn't try to push me into it.

Eventually one day we went to dinner and I told him that I liked him a lot and wanting to give dating another try. He responded, "I'd rather just be girlfriend and boyfriend already" and in that moment, I was so ecstatic I realized this is what love is supposed to be like and that he could be the one!

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My FH and I met through a dating app at a weird time because he had just returned from completing his law degree in England and was heading back to graduate.

So we were texting only for weeks. Then we met but I had planned a girls trip to Vegas for my birthday shortly after.

Despite being in Vegas, I missed being away from him - even for 5 days. So I think that’s probably when I knew. To know someone for such a short period and feel so strongly was really special to me!

He picked me up from the airport after Vegas and we went from “dating” to exclusive!
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I knew when he just fit into my family seamlessly.

We’d known each other for years, but it took sometime for me to develop feelings for him but I didn’t need to be convinced I just had to allow myself to realign my standards/priorities.

It also took some icky relationships to know unequivocally what I wanted in a relationship and to see that he checked off all of the boxes on the list of what I wanted in a partner that I wrote and put away.

I remember saying to myself that I only wanted to be with someone who wanted to be with me and made the effort to do so, and then realizing that that had been him all along, but I couldn’t see the forest for the trees.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think I knew without knowing - you know?

Like we went on our first date the day we met at a friends house, and then a couple days later went out again - and at the end of it he said we would be better off as friends... yet I couldn't accept that for some reason! (Don't worry - I got back at him by telling him he isn't attractive... just "aesthetically pleasing, you know, symmetrical".)

I ended up going inside and crying to my Mom and she couldn't understand why I was so upset, but I said it that night - I had already started picturing marrying him and growing old with him because he was so amazing.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were friends long before we started dating. We ran into each other after years of not seeing one another and started hanging out again. I heard he wanted to start dating me. I thought “if we start dating, we will be together forever, am I ready for that?” I don’t know why that was my inner monologue, but it was. I figured I didn’t want to pass up being with such a great guy so I went for it. 10 years later and we are finally becoming husband and wife in 103 days!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics