Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Frequent user October 2019 Ontario

Fiancé afraid of flying?

Sarah, on July 6, 2018 at 23:10 Posted in Honeymoon 0 7
Is anyone else having a hard time considering a destination for their honeymoon because their fiancé is afraid of flying?
Did anyone manage to convince them to get on a plane?
Suggestions are really appreciated!

7 Comments

Latest activity by Amber, on July 14, 2018 at 13:12
  • Amber
    Newbie August 2019 British Columbia
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m the partner who HATES to fly in our relationship. I’ve always been terrified of planes, but over the years I’ve learned what works for me. The last plane I was on flew through a lightning storm while I cried 🙃

When I fly I make sure to bring plenty of distractions. My fiancé loads up the laptop or tablet with movies, tv shows, and games. I bring a good book or two. Always have plenty of snacks and water because if I get hungry it’s harder to deal with my intense fear lol. I also started taking gravol before flying because if I can knock myself out that’s even better. My new favourite must have while flying is noise canceling headphones. Not being able to hear the engines and little bumps has made such a huge difference in the experience. I don’t think I could fly without them anymore.
  • Gabbie
    Frequent user June 2019 Nova Scotia
    Gabbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A destination inside Canada is what I am hoping for, a good roadtrip. There's one that my FH wants to do that takes you to Alaska, and it's supposed to be only doable in the summer. We haven't discussed honeymoon plans though haha

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think a cruise or a road trip is a great alternative if he refuses to fly. If he just hates it, but is willing to anyways, an Ativan will do the trick lol. There is so many beautiful places within Canada and the US that are drive worthy. And tons of cruises that board here and go pretty far.
  • Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My DH hates to fly, he'll do it but he really doesn't like it. He gets stressed and irritable for days before we fly, and is uncomfortable the entire time on the plane. All that is to say, I don't know how much your fiance hates it, but I avoid it as much as I can for him so he can really enjoy the vacation. Are there any places you could drive to? Or take a train or bus?

• E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wanted to add my fiancé hates to fly. He can’t stand take off and gets anxious each time. But he pushes through it. But seeing how anxious he gets I would never try and convince him to fly if he wasn’t ok with it.
  • E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If he’s set in his mind against flying I wouldn’t try and convince him. You could suggest he get an anti anxiety medication from the doctor, but if he’s still refusing I would just drop it.

You could look into doing a cruise. There are ones that leave out of New York, or Baltimore. You could drive to those. I know royal Caribbean has southern carribean cruises that leave out of baltimore that are two weeks long.

Fear of flying can be a real serious phobia that some people can’t get past. Talk to him see if he’s willing to try but if not I would find something that works for both of you. You don’t want to start your honeymoon with the groom refusing to get on the plane.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not my fiance, but my older sister was/is scared of flying... honestly it's not the most compassionate answer, but I would tell him to think about the destination, get him really excited for it... then drug him with a sleeping pill or nyquil... Haha. My sister used to take an adavan every time she flew... now she's gotten way better over time... just doesn't like turbulence.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics