Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Elizabeth
Newbie June 2022 Ontario

Feeling Sad About Turnout

Elizabeth, on February 20, 2022 at 20:10 Posted in Before the wedding 0 6

Hi!!

I'm getting married in June and I'm feeling a bit sad about our guest count.

My fiance is from England and because of that a lot of his family cannot attend our wedding. We initially had a lot of interest in coming (both domestically and abroad) but as of now we have had quite a few turndowns and I'm feeling like the venue we got will look kind of sad and empty since we booked it based on quite a bit more interest than we currently have.

I was looking for some general words of support or experiences that could help.

Appreciate itx!

6 Comments

Latest activity by Allison, on March 8, 2022 at 18:01
  • Allison
    Frequent user October 2022 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm so glad to hear that! I'm sure your day will be magical regardless of the turnout - the most important thing is that you get to marry your love! 🤗
  • Elizabeth
    Newbie June 2022 Ontario
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for all the support and advice! I am feeling better about things, and we have made some adjustments to the seating to make the space feel a bit fuller. I'm so grateful for all of your kind words -- thank you so much!

• Allison
    Frequent user October 2022 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Elizabeth, I'm so sorry you are feeling sad about the guest count, although, the Elora Mill Hotel is a STUNNING venue so I cannot imagine that it will feel sad or empty. Think of it this way - less guests = more room to dance!

We booked a venue that holds up to 140 with the intention of only having 90 guests (our venue has a 100 guest minimum but we are putting the equivalent of those 10 extra guests into additional catering items like a sparkling wine toast and late-night menu items). I figured that everyone will still be super aware of personal space after 2+ years of covid, so I like that our guests will have extra room to relax and stretch out, and we can allow for extra space between tables. Plus, because of our numbers, the dance floor can be set up in the middle of the room instead of in a corner. I'm sure if you reach out to your venue coordinator they can find ways to adapt the venue space to your reduced guest count. Good luck Smiley heart

• G
    Curious October 2022 Ontario
    Giuseppina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am so sorry you feel this way. Just remember, at the end of the day it is all about marrying your special someone and that's what matters most!!

With respect to the venue, maybe see if they can add in a partition wall to make the room smaller? If the venue can't add in a partition wall, maybe see if a decor company can add in a drapery panel across the room to make it appear smaller, so there is not as much empty space?

You could always arrange the tables differently as well!

Whatever you decide, I am sure your wedding day will be nothing short of wonderful!!

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Can the venue be partitioned so the room is split into multiple different rooms? That would make the space look more filled.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry that you're feeling this way. You're not alone when it comes to having a few guests not being able to make it because of travel. Lots of couples are having to deal with it too. My fiance and I included. We just found out that half of my fiance's dad side of the family will not be able to make it because of the cost since we're getting married in a different province and the city that we're getting married in is very expensive in the summer months. But we totally understand that money is tight for some people these days.

Just remember, whoever you do have attend your big day, you guys will have a great time no matter what! Smiley heart

In regards to your venue, you can always talk to the venue and see what they suggest in regards to having not as many guests being able to attend. They know of ways to fill up the space or even just the way you have things set up like the layout of how the tables with be set and angled to make the space feel like it's not so empty.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics