Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Casey
Master October 2019 Ontario

Favours!

Casey, on March 6, 2019 at 09:25 Posted in Wedding reception 0 29

Have you ever been to a wedding where people have not done favours? Were they missed by guests?

I am contemplating not doing favours because nothing is really jumping out at me that I think guests will like/ will fit our theme etc. and we do not want to spend money on favours and have people leave them behind.

I have a friend who has Cystic Fibrosis, and she does a fundraising walk every May. We have thought of doing a donation ($2 a guest) towards her walk in May, and then writing a little card for every guest that says we donated instead of favours.

If you were a guest at a wedding that did this, what would you think?

29 Comments

Latest activity by Andrea, on January 13, 2020 at 17:02
  • Andrea
    Devoted January 2021 Ontario
    Andrea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're doing mason jars because I think they are a good favour that will have meaning following the wedding. We got them from webstaurant.com and they are awesome.

• Carly
    Frequent user May 2022 British Columbia
    Carly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think supporting your friend is a beautiful thing to do, and guests will totally understand
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you! Amazing, love Thanksgiving! I saw quite a few pumpkin-y ideas on pinterest! If you wanted to go that route Smiley smile

• Marcy
    Frequent user October 2020 Saskatchewan
    Marcy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love the idea of pumpkin pie tarts - we're getting married Thanksgiving weekend as well and I've been struggling with what to do for favours! Good call Smiley smile

• Tracy
    Beginner July 2021 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I love that idea
    I'm considering human society . They provide place cards with donation as a thank you to guests
  • Sheena
    Beginner March 2022 British Columbia
    Sheena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I got flower seeds at a wedding once with a cute little note about "helping our love to grow". I have whatever the opposite of a green thumb is, and our flowers died. I felt terrible, because now the marriage is going to fail and it's all my fault, lol! (luckily they are still together).

I love the idea of a donation to something as meaningful as that. Otherwise, I do think it is perfectly acceptable to not do favours at all.

My finace and I are huge tea drinkers, so we've been thrift shopping for old tea cups and will be giving those away as favours, with a bag of tea in them. We're finding great deals, so not spending a lot of money on them. I hope people will like them, but if they end up back at the thrift shop eventually, it won't break my heart.

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

100% between edible option or a donation. We got a candle from one wedding, it came home with us and sat in the car until the car got cleaned out!

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Right! Its good to know that some people wouldn't mind it. We are still debating what to do, I just hate wasting money!

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I like the donation idea for sure, that is very personal and touching!

I also agree with edible favors as the way to go, or some kind of consumable. We are doing mini pumpkin pie tarts as its Thanksgiving Sunday, and pumpkin pie is my favorite ever ever. I expect guests to consume them on the spot. Any favor I have ever had that is not edible, has either been given away or collecting dust. I think its hard to cater to everyone taste. But if I went to a wedding with a donation as the favor I would love that and think it was special!!!!!

I have also seen a few suggestions for a donation box as the kissing game. I like that idea as well.

• Alissa
    Newbie February 2020 Ontario
    Alissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was thinking of doing a donation too, but I wasn't sure whether it would seem odd to guests or not. I'm glad people seem on board with this concept!

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's so cute, I love it !!
  • Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have only been to a few weddings but I don't think any of them had favours. I think it's okay if there are no favours. I think all we are doing is putting mints out with a sign that says mint to be on it.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Its a great idea to support someone by putting some amount from every amount given. I have seen donations given to a charity of their choice. A Thank You card saying portion of the donation is going to ______ for $2.

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is true! Saves a lot more money when you just do one sign! or have someone announce it!

Thank's Leah! This will for sure be done if we decide to go the donation route

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

In a free flowing budget world, I'd give mini local gin favours.

Our coordinator has reminded me though that in reality, most favours are left behind, so we're not having any at all.

I like the idea of a donation, but maybe you don't need to spend the money on little cards, just place a sign at your welcome table, or at each guest table., or have your MC announce it.

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Valerie! Thats exactly what I do when I am at weddings. If it does not fit into my little clutch or a pocket chances are I will forget about it lol

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have left a lot of favours behind, either because we forgot them or because we couldn't travel with them.

IMO, the best favours are the ones that can be consumed on the spot, or ones that guests don't have to handle. So your idea of a donation would fit the bill perfectly and I think it's a nice gesture!

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    For sure!! I find food/drink is usually the best received (we are giving 350ml bottles of home made wine) but yeah trinkets and things like that are just so hit or miss...
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think a donation favour would be a great idea!! That way the money is being put towards a good cause!

Personally, I like edible favours, but as a guest, I don't care too much if there were favours or not.

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is exactly my thinking. My sister did salt and pepper shakers, they are just sitting in my cupboard. Another family member did a candle, that got thrown out. My cousin did honey/hot sauce and that got eaten at dinner by my FH and we left the package there.

I just don't want to spend all this money on something small and have it go to waste..

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We aren't doing favours! my uncle got married last summer and as we were leaving I picked up soooo many favours. everyone left them on the tables! they were cute heart shaped containers with candy in them.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve been to a wedding without favours and I only noticed once I started thinking about how we weren’t going to do favours!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have seen no favours as destination wedding was to be simple and just the time with all family and friends surrounding the couple for fun times.

Favour wise, some have gone none and one did donations to a charity of their choice. It all depends on how you two go based on choosing about it and edible over keepsakes.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve seen all sorts of favours at weddings!

At FH’s cousins wedding, the favours were vintage handkerchiefs. There was no indicator that these were the favours until the end of the wedding when there were no additional favours. I personally missed the favour, especially since we travelled from Toronto to Winnipeg for this wedding!

I like the idea of doing a small donation to your friend as your favours tho! At least people will know it’s going to a good cause.
  • K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've been to weddings without favours and didnt miss them at all. I'm not a fan of favours personally... unless its edible. Were also doing a donation in lieu as we have a cause that is very dear to our hearts and anyone who is attending our wedding will completely understand our decision to do so. I dont anticipate any complaints. Go with whatever feels right to you both Smiley smile
  • Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As a guest I wouldn't leave your wedding and be like argh we didn't even get a favour, so I think it's fine not to have one. Donations in lieu of is nice and it's a personal cause for you.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not going to lie - as much as favours don't really matter to me, as a guest if I saw that you did a donation I wouldn't care for it but I also wouldn't remember it down the road either.

No matter what you choose to do you will have people who will say they would have done something else so just go with what you want!

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think a donation in lieu of a favour is a fantastic idea!!! I would not be upset at all if I went to a wedding and saw that! Better the money go to something good than a favour that people might not even like or use...
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't been to weddings without favors. I always take them regardless and love them. I just think its a little tocken of thank you after we have attended all functions- buck and doe, bridal shower, bachelor parties and wedding. A lot is spent towards couple and its a cute keepsake. I personally think there should be wedding favors as they aren't much money. I know sometimes they are left behind it all depends on where they are placed. I went to wedding were no one seen them because set up. When they are at the table more people tend to see and take or if they are near the exit at end of night. I know the DJ has announced it middle of night as reminder too!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics