Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

N
Beginner June 2019 Alberta

Favour ideas

Nadia, on February 24, 2019 at 02:50 Posted in DIY 0 21
Hi all!

We are getting married on June 28th of this year and I am stumped on ideas for favours! I would like to have something that we can make as my mother in-law has volunteered to make them. In the past, she made homemade jam for my brother in-law’s wedding and I would love to do the same idea or something similar. Just don’t want them to think I am copying them Smiley smile any ideas would help!

Thanks in advance!

21 Comments

Latest activity by Rachel, on March 5, 2019 at 18:24
  • Rachel
    Frequent user July 2019 Ontario
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are giving hand poured candles in small mason jars. They were very simple and cost effective. It cost about $2 per candle after buying all the jars and supplies. Its as simple as melting the wax, adding colour and scent of your choice (both optional) and pouring into your jars. We then ordered custom canning labels to put on top of the jars and that was it! They turned out fantastic.

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I love the honey idea and jam wow! So cute. I think either would go well with your rustic theme. Even if your brother in law did that for his wedding, another flavor would be fine. It doesn't seem like a major thing to copy.

We are doing mini pumpkin pie tarts for our favors. Wedding is on Thanksgiving Sunday, my favorite holiday, and my fav dessert! The venue is very specific with their menu, so this is the only way I am getting pumpkin pie haha. I am super lucky that my FH Nanna is a baker, and she offered to take care of this for me without me asking! Smiley heart

Edible favors rock!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We were going to do honey- cute meant to bee thing lol we can get it locally made and cheaper as for bulk. Jars aren't too much as we found a site to order off of in bulk too.

• Hélène
    Devoted September 2019 Alberta
    Hélène ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'll chime in with something I had to think about. If you have guests flying in for your wedding, remember the restrictions for carry-ons. A friend had her jar of maple butter confiscated by security...it was not a pretty sight! We're going with honey from a local honey farm. We'd love to do the larger specialty jars, but due to pretty much everyone flying in and the cost of checking bags these days, we're going with the smaller, carry-on-friendly size of wildflower honey.

• Marissa
    Expert August 2019 Ontario
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    If making homemade items falls through for any reason, it's a really quick and fairly cheap backup plan. You can buy the Lindor in bulk in almost any colour and the bags can be bought online or at party supply stores. Good luck with your favours!
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I believe they did half and half. It looked pretty much even to me! So we took one honey and one hot sauce and I believe my brother and his gf did the same! It was a great choice
  • Alycia
    Expert March 2020 Ontario
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah we definitely have other songs, first coming to mind though is perfect by ed sheeran so popular and overplayed though!!! SO we are still thinking about it. The mutual artist idea is a super great one! We’ll need to do some brainstorming. Got some time still, thank god lol.

I don’t know, pickling hadn’t popped in my mind until i started listing things, and I personally love pickles lol pickled beets are awesome too lol you could always do a variety of options with cute little labels. If you hav extra they’ll keep in storage for some time Smiley smile

• N
    Nadia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Love lindor and this idea!! Thanks!! Smiley smile
  • N
    Nadia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks! Smiley smile
  • N
    Nadia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think so too Smiley smile and omg we had a similar issue! I knew our relationship was heading to an engagement and marriage so I had started looking at ideas of what to do. My cousin got married last fall and his wife pretty much did 90% of the ideas I had :/ so, I had to tweak things haha sorry to hear about your first dance song though!! Any other songs that are special/significant for the both of you that you can use now? Or do you have a mutual favourite artist? That’s how we chose our first dance song, mutual fave artist Smiley smile

Pickilng is a great idea! As is the infused olive oil. I think most of the guests would use either. Thanks for the ideas and understanding the pain of trying to avoid replicating family member’s weddings 😂
  • N
    Nadia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Love the idea of giving guests a choice! Did your cousin do half honey and half hot sauce? Or did they make more jars of one type of favour? Thanks for the idea Smiley smile
  • N
    Nadia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes!! I saw some soap ideas on Pinterest I liked. We are having a rustic theme Smiley smile
  • N
    Nadia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree! I would love to do something in a jar but I’m open to anything! I think the guests love food items as well because it’s almost 90% guaranteed they’ll use/like it lol great ideas with the wine and honey! Thanks Smiley smile
  • N
    Nadia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I am open to anything but I love the idea of salsa! I never thought of that. I’m sure my MIL would be able to whip up a tasty batch! Thanks for the idea Smiley smile
  • Marissa
    Expert August 2019 Ontario
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're doing Lindor chocolates in our colours. Just going to throw them in organza bags with a tag, and call it a day Smiley tongue

The tag will be gold paper. This is just a test tag.Favour ideas 1

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Alycia that you're on the right track with an edible favour!

• Alycia
    Expert March 2020 Ontario
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think food related items are ideal for sure! So you’re on the right track already in my opinion. I know what you mean about not copying though, my FH’s cousin used our song as their first dance a few years ago and we both looked at each other like crap! WE have no clue to this day what to do about that. A problem for another day I guess lol

I like the idea of jam (i know she did it for your brother-in law) you could do a different flavour, infused olive oil is super fun! I grey my own herbs, dried them and infused some olive oil I purchased on my trip in Italy it’s delicious and simple to make plus super easy to make it look really pretty and elegant (love cooking with it), we drink a lot of wine so I’ve been thinking about making wine personally, it represents us well and if we have extra we can keep them for us Smiley winking My dad used to make some with his buddy when I was little lol, so it’s something fun we can do together too, also pickles or pickling something! I personally love them, they’re easy to make and jar so you can store them forever.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Infused olive oils are super amazing and easy to make!
    my cousin also did “sweet and spicy” so they had jars of honey and jars of hot sauce. Each guest could pick which one they wanted
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Something good related. I like the idea of infused honey, or tea.
    Alternatively - handmade soaps.
    Do you have a wedding theme? It should be something that ties in with that.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Jared items are awesome!! I have seen things like honey or infused olive oils you can do too!!!! Food items are the best in my opinion! We are giving out homemade wine that my FH and I made last year!
  • Jenn
    Frequent user April 2019 Saskatchewan
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Do you want it to be food related? Salsa? Tea and biscotti?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics