Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

Faux Pas or Nah: Bringing a large gift to the wedding?

Lynnie, on April 15, 2019 at 12:18 Posted in Wedding reception 0 33

How do you feel about bringing a large gift with you to the wedding? Do you think it’s annoying and just another thing the couple has to worry about at the end of the night (especially when you could have just shipped the gift directly to their home)? Or are you on the side of “at least I brought a gift!”?

What do you think? Is bringing a large gift to a wedding a faux pas or nah?

Faux Pas or Nah: Bringing a large gift to the wedding? 1

Image from Love Wed Bliss

Next Question: Taking pictures during the ceremony?

Back to the Beginning: Faux Pas or Nah?

33 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on April 23, 2019 at 11:20
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Why not, especially if it's something the couple has registered for.

• Donna Yeung
    Devoted August 2018 British Columbia
    Donna Yeung ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think if it's something the bride/groom has listed on their registry, try to send it directly to their house so they don't have to worry about storing it or bringing it home the night of their wedding. If you're extremely close to the bride/groom and know it's what they want, I think they will really appreciate the gift. If you're not sure if you're doubling up on something, make sure to include the gift receipt if possible.

At my wedding, I received 2 sous vide machines... I wasn't able to exchange them for something else and I couldn't bring them both with me as husband and I moved to the united states for work. So depends on the situation.

• T
    Curious September 2019 British Columbia
    Tianna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Be appreciative for what you receive, big or small. Not that I'm expecting a lot of gifts or big gifts but I have already put someone in charge of collecting all the gifts/cards sometime after dinner.

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Faux pas. Not everyone will have the space for it.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with this! I get it can be a hassle to put away safely/securely but it's a gift! If you're going to be angry about a gift shame on you!

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You know what, if people bring me present, I ain't gonna be mad about it! Gifts always welcome!!

• Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would prefer no large gifts as its just an additional thing I have to bring home after the night is over, but we also have no control over this & I am thankful with whatever we receive.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Any gift is welcomed at a wedding. So not a faux pas at all.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nah. Big gifts are expensive and yet put aside for the most part as it rarely used. Wedding gifts that are already given and having at home, just get puts away in storage for giving away to someone else who could possibly use it or to family.
    I personally don't see gifts much these days given as much as cash is useful for what can be used or put towards a goal start (project) in the years to come or down payment on a house/apartment.

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes a gift is a gift but you do have to consider how the couple would get that gift home. If you are buying off the registry there is always an option for shipping to an address that was provided or pick up at the store.
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    A gift is a gift.
    Not a faux pas!
  • Maegan
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Gotta go with Nah on this one. A gift is a gift! Beggers cannot be choosers!
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Faux pas for sure. There is already so much to be taken care of, I don't think guests should bring massive presents and make extra work.

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Any gift is a plus! wouldn’t bother me at all
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Normally nah. For us 100% faux pas since we made a request for absolutely no gifts, as we are flying from BC to Ontario.
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nah! Honestly if they brought a gift be thankful!

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nope, a gift is always nice to get!

• K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I dont think this is a faux pas at all... while it may be more convenient to have it shipped to your house why would anyone be ungrateful that someone purchased them a gift.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wouldn’t be upset for receiving a gift. I’m sure we can get it home someway. It’s the thought that counts!
  • Jenna
    Frequent user February 2021 Nova Scotia
    Jenna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would never be upset for someone gifting me something.. big or small. I wouldn’t make a huge fuss over trying to transport it. I would make sure it got home somehow haha
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Faux pas!
    Assuming that the bride and groom have room to haul the gift back is just terrible. If your gifts take up your whole back seat, it'll be the same for them LOL.

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say get the large gift sent to their home/ drop it off at their place before the wedding instead of bring it to the wedding, but it's not a big deal if they bring it.

• Monique
    Devoted August 2020 Saskatchewan
    Monique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it’s okay. It seems kinda ungrateful if someone was complaining about getting a gift. At the last wedding I went to, the bride and groom had a designated person collect the cards and gifts at the end of the night and drop off the gifts the day or two after.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it's a faux pas personally, although I didn't know about the etiquette rule until I got engaged.

It's less work for the guest and the bride/groom if they just ship to the couple's house! No one's lugging the gift around!

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Depends on how many guests/large gifts. I wouldn't want to make multiple trips or fill multiple cars with gifts. Shipping is so much easier. But cash is easiest Smiley winking

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If everyone is bringing large gifts then it would get chaotic but if it is a couple of people it is fine!

• Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I guess it really depends. If you have 200 guests and everyone brings gifts.....dear lord no. Just ship it.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would never be upset for anyone bringing me a gift whether it’s big or small or just a card. I don’t have a registry and the last thing I would do is be upset if someone brought a big gift. Maybe someone didn’t want to give cash. Maybe they thought it would be a perfect gift for the couple.
  • Meghan
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say faux pas....it would be more courteous to have it shipped directly to the couples house in that case.

Though now a days its usually cash gifts at weddings anyway...I honestly don't think I have ever been to a wedding where there were actual gifts...

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For us, I will say faux pas. Only because we do not have a registry, and I would really hope people just give us a card and money instead of bringing some random huge gift to our wedding. If you have a registry, its fair game

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say Faux Pas, it's not the end of the world - but it's one more thing that the Bride & Groom will have to find room for and pack up to take home. Just, send it to their home address or bring it to the wedding shower.

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nah - but etiquette rules say otherwise. But I'm sticking with 'nah'.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics