Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Natasha
Newbie February 2022 Ontario

Father Daughter Dance dilemma

Natasha, on July 16, 2019 at 10:06 Posted in Wedding reception 0 7
Hi everyone- I’m super new here but I love the community! I was just wondering if anyone has ever experienced this dilemma...
so my father and I don’t speak at all and he’s not close with family so I won’t be inviting him to the wedding.
my fiancé and his dad also are on bad terms.. so we have that in common.
but I kinda feel a pain in my heart to think I’ll be missing my father-daughter dance.
Has anyone else been in this situation? And if so who did you dance with / did you have a dance at all?

7 Comments

Latest activity by Sarah, on July 17, 2019 at 00:32
  • S
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I haven’t seen or spoken to my father since I was 3 so I know what you mean. I’m totally fine with it myself. My mom is walking me down the aisle and my fiancé is going to dance with her as well as with his mom. I haven’t asked my FIL to be if he will dance with me but I’m pretty sure he would be honoured. If you have a brother, uncle or grandfather that can also be quite special. My mom was never married so I will have a special dance for my grandfather and I.

Dont feel bad. You are not missing out. Forget the father-daughter dance and make it a you and someone special dance
  • Amanda
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Skip the dances all together, OR do a mother daughter dance instead.

Mama's Song - Carrie Underwood is literally the perfect song for that
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Even though I'm not in your situation, my FH and his mom are not on good terms, so for the mother/son dance, she'll dance with my FH.

Are you on good terms with your mom? Why not honour her with a mother/daughter dance instead? Or dance with your brother/sister (if you have one)

• K
    Frequent user September 2024 Nova Scotia
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't been in this situation, but I have several friends who are. One of them had her dance with her mum, and another did with her brother, which I thought was very sweet.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Welcome to the Wedding Wire Community!

I have not been in this situation, but I actually just had a chat with my girlfriend about this and she was in this situation for her wedding. She had her mom walk her down the isle and actually did a dance with her Mom instead. Maybe this is something you can look into?

You could also do a sibling, uncle, someone who you are close to.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Natasha!

Welcome to WeddingWire!

unfortunately, your situation sounds identical to mine! I am not close at all with my biological father and although we have been trying to form a relationship in the last two years, my mother and him do not get along at all. I won’t be inviting him to my wedding - as it would entail so much drama.

My my mom remarried almost 10 years ago and my stepfather has been in my life daily. He will walk me down the aisle with my mom and I will be dancing with him.

My thoughts are i know it must hurt my biological father that he wont be there but it’s not my fault - he could have changed this outcome long ago.

So I am doing a dance - is there another male family member you are close to that you could do a dance with?
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't been in this situation - but I do know that I have seen the Father&Daughter Dance done by the Daughter and a Grandparent? I've also seen online that Brothers have stepped in as well. If you have somebody in your life that fills that role I would ask them - whether it's a grandparent, Mom, Brother, Sister, etc. As long as it's who you look up to and has been there for you.

At the same time, don't feel bad if you skip it completely. Tons of us on here are skipping the dance, cake cutting, bouquet toss, garter toss, etc.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics