Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Anna
Newbie September 2019 Saskatchewan

Father Daughter Dance

Anna, on February 13, 2018 at 16:56 Posted in Wedding reception 0 4

Hi Ladies!

My dad passed away in the summer of 2016 and I have been curious as to what others in the same situation have done? Any cool father daughter dances or tribute ideas? Who did you have walk you down the aisle? He and I were super close, and I'd love to incorporate him somehow in the day, even though he's already in everyone's hearts!

4 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on February 19, 2018 at 19:11
  • Amanda
    Frequent user September 2018 New Brunswick
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My father passed away in 2014.
    I'm having my brother walk my down the aisle. So far we're just having a get together at the house afterward so I don't need to cross the "father daughter dance" bridge. But I DO love the suggestion that someone else came up with of having your fiance's father dance with you in his place.
    I'm doing some small things to make sure my father is involved in my day, but I'm not going too overboard because his death is still quite troublesome for some members of my family/wedding guests.
    I'm playing a number of instrumental versions of his favourite songs as music prior to the ceremony, I think I'm going down the aisle to an instrumental version of "my girl" (which used to be "our song" when I was younger. And I'm thinkong of dropping by the graveyard on the way to the reception and putting my bouquet on his grave.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So sorry to hear about your dad!

My dad and I aren't close (he wasn't even invited to the wedding). I am however SUPER close with my mum so I had her walk me down the aisle and we did a mother/daughter dance instead of father/daughter. It was really great and no one seemed that surprised.

I think you could incorporate your dad in your day by having a small photo of him in your bouquet and then a framed photo of the 2 of you at your head table. Subtle but significant.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Are you close with your fiance's father? Maybe he would like to dance with you? As for walking down the aisle maybe you mother and brother, or brother and grandfather can both. There are tons of ways to incorporate your dad. Have your officiant mention him during the ceremony. Ours has a whole section of our ceremony dedicated to those that have passed. Hope this helps!
  • Tradingabyss
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Tradingabyss ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So sorry to hear. I would suggest any other family member you’re close with could take his place. Some women who have distant relationships with their fathers choose to fill in their place with their mother or brother or grandfather. I hope you don’t have too hard of a time!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics