Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Stéphanie
Newbie August 2019 New Brunswick

Father and daughter dance / Mother and groom dance

Stéphanie, on July 4, 2019 at 15:29 Posted in Before the wedding 0 19

Hi everyone!

What do you think of the fact that me and my fiance wouldn't dance at the same time when it's Father and daughter dance / Mother and groom dance because we would have two different song. I want ''my little girl'' but another version than Tim McGraw. Can we agree that it wouldn't make sense for my fiance to dance with his mother on that song? So he would have the song ''Simple man'' when he dance with his mother.

Do you guys just have one song that you dance at the same time or a song for the bride to dance with his father and a song for the groom to dance with his mother?

19 Comments

Latest activity by Kelly, on July 29, 2019 at 00:30
  • Kelly
    Devoted May 2020 Ontario
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing two dances so he and his mom can have a special moment.

• L
    Beginner September 2019 Ontario
    Linnae ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing 2 songs, its nice to each have a special moment with our parents

My Little Girl- Tim Mcgraw and Boy-Lee Brice

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're definitetly doing 2 songs and having 2 dances. I honestly wouldnt' want to share that special moment/steal that special moment. It's a special time between a parent and their child getting married; it's fine to have it separately.

• Tammy
    Beginner December 2022 Ontario
    Tammy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Mother by Sugarland is a good neutral song. (I just found it yesterday when I was looking for mother/daughter sons).

• Tammy
    Beginner December 2022 Ontario
    Tammy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Mother by Sugarland is a good neutral song for anyone looking to do a combo dance.

• Stéphanie
    Newbie August 2019 New Brunswick
    Stéphanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks everyone! We're gonna stick with two different songs.😊
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Dances for both ways are becoming a norm and if you like your song choices, stick with them.

Alternative song choice are optional to go with:

Father/Daughter dance: The Climb - Miley Cyrus

Mother/Groom dance: Mother like Mine-The Band Perry

• Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Stephanie,

That is very normal, or at least normal to the wedding's I have been too!

I am also doing two separate songs, the songs I have chosen are below -->

Father Daughter Dance: Butterfly Kisses - Bob Carlisle (This is a very special song to my Dad as we sang it together since I was 5!!)

Mother Son Dance: My Wish - Holly Tucker

I hope this helps if anyone needed any ideas or suggestions ! Smiley winking

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thats pretty normal from what weddings I have been to each of those dances has their own song.

• Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That's pretty normal, at least for the weddings I've been to. We're likely going to do something similar but just with different people. My fiancé was raised by his grandma but we dont think she'll be able to fly over, and I stopped talking to my dad about 6 years ago, so we're coming up with some kind of modification to the traditional father-daughter/mother-groom dances. Keeping them as 2 different dances but we might both be dancing with my mom.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Slow Down by Nichole Nordeman

Father and daughter dance / Mother and groom dance

This is the one. It does mention barbie dolls, but also lightsaber wars.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    2 songs is pretty standard. It gives you that one on one time with your dad/mom. If you were short on time you could do one, but most people are prepared for 2!
  • Kristen
    Beginner September 2019 Ontario
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have separate songs chosen. I’ve also never seen the bride and groom dance with their parents at the same time.
  • Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What song did you pick? i've been looking for something nice that doesn't specifically say son or daughter in it! I would love to hear your thoughts or any suggestions!

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have separate songs and I’ve always seen it done separately.
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've actually never seen those dances done at the same time. It's usually different songs for each so the dances are one after the other.
  • Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re doing two! i want that moment with my
    dad to be mine, and my FH should have that moment with his mom.
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Like Tori said, having 2 songs is usually the norm.

Personally, we'll be doing just 1 song, as we don't want our guests to look at us slow dance for more than 5 minutes!

I've also been to a wedding where the middle of the first song faded out and the second song started... and near the middle of the second song, it also faded and the MC invited all couples to come and dance to another slow tune.

The one wedding I was in, the bridesmaids/groomsmen had to get an aunt/uncle/cousin/friend and go slow dance. I thought it was quite sweet, and got to dance with a pretty cool uncle hahaha.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's pretty standard I would say - it's actually sharing the song that would be more uncommon (at least as far as I'm aware).

I have a song in mind for the father/daughter dance but haven't run it by my Dad yet. I did however tell my FH that he can use it too seeing as how it doesn't say anything along the lines of little girl or little boy or mom/dad.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics