Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Rekramer
Expert November 2018 Ontario

Family style dining

Rekramer, on May 1, 2017 at 16:51 Posted in Wedding reception 0 16

Hi All,

Anyone attended or considering a wedding that had/will have family style dining? We are considering it because it is much cheaper and also because it is much frendlier and less fussy seeming than plated meals.

The downside in our minds is the trying to pass it around for the guests. I was already thinking about ditching centrepieces, but looking for some practical experience to help me flesh out the idea.

16 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 10, 2018 at 12:35
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Keep your centerpeice simple so that the food can be served around.

I have been to a weddonf with family style and its nice to have a change.
  • Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
  • Rekramer
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Interesting, what made you decide not to do it?

• Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am not doing family style but I did consider it. At the venue we're using, they use it a lot. There aren't a lot of dishes on the table at once because everything is served in courses so course one would have buns and salads, then that's all cleared away and then another 2-3 items are served. If they do it all the time, they should know how much room you need and it's probably not as much as you think.

• Rekramer
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks for your thoughts! Our #1 choice is venue (on paper, still have to go see it in person) has it as an option and it seems to be about $30 a head cheaper. I imagine it would be hard for caterers not associated with a specific venue to make sure they have enough table space, etc. I also went to a family style wedding at a winery last summer and I thought it went pretty well, but the tables were fairly sizeable for 8 people. I agree that it helps create a more social atmosphere.

• Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We wanted to have family style service, round tables of 8... Larger wedding 160 people... None of the caterers we talked to were keen on doing it... Reasons cited were lack of serving bowls, not enough space on tables ect... The quotes we received for it were higher than plated service and buffet, due to the extra food... If you can find a caterer who will do it for a reasonable price, I'd say go for it, passing food is very social and forces people who might not know each other well to interact.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think smaller tables would be best. Cozier and easier when passing food around.

• Rekramer
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The FH is NOT going to go for that, but I appreciate the thought. He's scared of lines. I'm wondering if smaller tables so the passing is less aggresive, or longer tables might solve the passing issue for the most part.

• Rekramer
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks Tina! Very helpful!

• Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I kinda like the idea of family style! People serve themselves, and it's less expensive usually Smiley winking

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you're worried about passing around dishes you could opt for buffet style. People still serve themselves as much or as little as they like. It also tends to be cheaper than plated dinner.
  • Tina
    Devoted February 2018 Ontario
    Tina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are going with family style. At our venue it is the same price as a sit down meal. But with the family style we get more food and more variety. Our guest also get to eat as much or as little as they want.

• Rekramer
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

well, you're paying more for the food itself, but less for the service. and most all-inclusives seem to list it as being less expensive. i do understand that you'd be paying more for the sheer produce.

• Katherine
    Frequent user August 2017 Quebec
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It's more expensive because you're paying for more food than what quests would regularly eat. Donations depend on the venue, you may have to collect the left over food yourself and deliver it (or have someone do it for you) and you'll need large trays with lids to pack the food. Not all venues will provide them
  • Rekramer
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks for the heads up. Do you if that makes it more expensive and/or if people dislike it? Can't the food be donated?

• Katherine
    Frequent user August 2017 Quebec
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have a friend who works at a venue that does family style meals and one thing she says is that there is always a lot of food left over. Because venues try to make enough food to make sure each guest can get their fill, they often make far too much and a lot of food goes to waste. It also means you're paying for all the uneaten food also.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics