Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emily
Newbie August 2020 Ontario

Fake vs Real Flowers

Emily, on July 25, 2019 at 17:54 Posted in DIY 0 25
Just wondering who else is debating between ordering real flowers for their wedding day, buying fake flowers instead, or a mix of both. I really love flowers and feel like going fake will look cheap and not have the same feel. At the same time I'm having a hard time justifying the cost when I am only enjoying them for one day.

What are others doing? Have you used fake flowers? How did they turn out?

25 Comments

Latest activity by Adriana, on October 8, 2019 at 20:24
  • Adriana
    Frequent user August 2020 Alberta
    Adriana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm going the silk flower route for sure ✌️I wanna be able to keep my flowers later and that's the main motivation mostly
  • Kelly
    Devoted May 2020 Ontario
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    REAL OR SILK!!! You don’t want to cheap out on these kinds of things it’s a huge thing and people will notice
  • Chere-Lee
    Frequent user October 2020 Ontario
    Chere-Lee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is my second wedding. For my first wedding we did silk and although they were nice, I feel like I missed out with the real ones. The smell, the feel and the look. I questioned whether my flowers "looked" fake in the photos.

This second wedding, there wasn't a question as to which - we decided real flowers was the way to go!

• J
    Beginner August 2019 Alberta
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am doing real flowers with a few fake trailing Flowers , I originally planned to do fake flowers but then found a lady that does them real cheap by just buying them from Costco
  • L
    Beginner September 2019 Ontario
    Linnae ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am doing both. My bouquet is real flowers from a florist and I bought greenery swags from Costco. For my table centerpieces I have purchased silk flowers and put them all in different antique vases. The color of flower I was wanting cost $5 per rose and I was able to purchase all my table center flowers for $160 and they look beautiful!

• Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing real. It’s a big expense yes but so is everything else I’m finding lol. I just prefer real anyway. Actually there wil be some fake such as the garland along the string lights and on the mantle at the reception.
    Ive been very fortunate in that both florists I’ve talked to we’re willing to stay in or around our budget. I was surprised because I thought it would cost more than what I wanted to spend. Definitely go and talk to some first before you decide!
  • Miav
    Devoted September 2020 Alberta
    Miav ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes! But's it's all of my dream flowers (loads of sunflowers) including delivery and setup Smiley smile

• Jackie
    Beginner May 2020 Ontario
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh myyy! It’s insane how it’s so expensive... I’m so thankful for you! Costco will be the best option and I would love to set up my own flowers !
  • Jackie
    Beginner May 2020 Ontario
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    4000cad ? You mean $4,000 just for the flowers?
  • Miav
    Miav ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We just received a 4000cad quote today from one of the florists we talked to..

• Karine
    Curious October 2019 Quebec
    Karine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My family and I LOVE real flowers, their feel and smell. For us it was evident, especially on a garden feel theme. I decided to invest more on flowers and save on decor for everything else (DIY all the way, and I love doing it). However, i did decide to use artificial greenery vines for the backdrops Smiley smile
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Fake flowers seem the best choice since I like the idea of renting white floral balls placed on top of vases at every table. Simple and nothing to take home at the end.

Fake vs Real Flowers 1

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I decided to do fake flowers. I found this floral designer who exclusively works with fake flowers and she was able to make all of our arrangements for half the price I was quoted for real flowers.

Flowers are currently stored in my parent's computer room and I can't wait to unbox them!

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you go with real flowers, i would recommend DIY and buy them from costco!! our florist quoted us almost $3,000 for what we wanted.. i went to costco instead and ordered everything for just over $100. the only "downside" is I have to put everything together myself.

• Missa
    Frequent user August 2019 New Brunswick
    Missa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am having my flowers done by a wonderful woman who does silk bouquets and they look amazing. I just couldn't justify the cost and honestly, this way i dont need to worry about putting hthemin the fridge etc. However, we will have babies breath on every table during the reception!

• Marissa
    Expert August 2019 Ontario
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're doing sola flowers, which are fake and made of wood but look like real dried flowers. They include real dried greenery. Below is an example. They were half the price of real flowers, and I get to keep them afterwards! Mine will be in blush, ivory and burgundy, and I'm picking them up tomorrow.

Fake vs Real Flowers 2
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have bought faux as was at few friends weddings and couldn't tell till got pretty close. I couldn't justify the one day expense.. My friend chose to do real and it was her biggest expense at her wedding- the flowers welted from how hot it was outside. She forgot to throw her throw bouquet. They were gorgeous, but its honestly personal preference.

• Sam
    Curious October 2020 Ontario
    Sam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not 100% sure yet but I was thinking of doing real for my bouquet and then probably fake for bridesmaids/groomsmen/decor. That being said if my bouquet is going to be very expensive I may just go fake. I haven't looked into prices for that yet..

• Miav
    Miav ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are thinking of mixing it. Fake for arches and probably on the cake and some reception decor. Real ones (bulk that we will arrange ourselves) on the small centrepieces. And probably real bouquets too

• K Kimanne
    Beginner September 2019 Ontario
    K Kimanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m going all fake for my wedding. I got the real touch ones and they look beautiful! I just couldn’t justify spending so much money on real flowers that’s gonna die the same day! Plus i’m not a huge flower person.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Never questioned going with fake. I don't have to worry about my hay fever, I can get bouquets done with plenty of time and the cost of real is not worth it to me. I've been to many wedding with fake flowers that were awesome. I still have 2 bouquets from weddings I was in.
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    At this point I’ve received one quote from a florist and it scared the bejeezus out of me. So now I’m leaning toward getting fake for most of our decor (ceremony arch, signage, centerpieces...) - particularly the ones that guests won’t be super up close and personal with.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm using fake ones - I also have a steamer to steam them too! I have my wedding in October so I'm not sure how they will look just yet but at the store they looked fine to me! Plus my Baba is a florist so she was able to help cost wise.

• Caitlin
    Newbie August 2020 Ontario
    Caitlin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was trying to decide this as well. I was leaning more towards fake flowers, this way it is one less thing I have to worry about making sure they are ready and looking good the day of. I was at Michaels the other day and they had all of their spring and summer flowers 60% off. I ended up buying some small pre-made bouquets, each one slightly different. I haven't decided if I'm going to use them as-is or mix them up or add to them, or maybe put together something different for mine and just use them for the bridesmaids, but I like the look of them, so unless I think of something else that I am really drawn to then that is what I will be using.

I don't have a strong opinion one way or another towards flowers, and I think the fake flowers (as long as they are not faded or fraying, etc.) can be just as nice looking. Plus there is the added bonus of less cost, less stress of not having them ready in advance, and not having to worry about them being damaged or wilting throughout the day. You can also get real-touch flowers, so that is another option, they cost a bit more but can look very real even up close.

I am also thinking about using potted flowers as part of my centrepieces, and possibly as ceremony decor. I purchased some small cube shaped pots and I'm looking for flowers that I can plant in them, I am hoping that some people will take these home at the end of the night. I am looking for something bigger to place at the ends of the aisle that won't be too heavy to move so that I an use potted flowers for the ceremony.

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m doing paper flowers! flowers just aren’t that important for me and they’re SO EXPENSIVE. this way i get them forever

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics