Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Leah
Frequent user April 2017 Quebec

Extra meal requests

Leah, on March 21, 2017 at 14:25 Posted in Wedding reception 0 4

We are doing a BBQ potluck reception so we are providing all the meat (Pork loin, burgers and hot dogs). We asked guests to bring a bottle of wine or a side dish to share instead of gifts and so far we've had a lot of volunteers for both wine and food.

We asked people to choose one of the meat options. My FH's cousin sent her rsvp by a message to my FH with no food details so on Sunday we messaged her to ask what they'll be eating. She responded 'what are the options? and with three teenagers, they eat a lot'. I sent her the meat options and said there will be a potluck (she had no idea what a potluck is so I had to explain that to her) and then 2 days later responded that her and her 3 teens will take 4 hamburgers and 6 hot dogs. How would you react to this? My reaction was shock that they would be demanding of so much food when we will have so many side dishes to add to their plate. If they go get a burger and two hot dogs and other people see that, then I don't want other people going back to get more food and then not everyone would get the food they requested and I have zero intentions of having second servings of the meat for everyone who is there. As it is we budgeted 1 burger for people requesting burgers, for hot dog people 2 hot dogs each and for pork loin well we are buying packages of pork loin that will each feed 4 people.

I kind of feel it's rude to request extra main dish food at a wedding. Our wedding is inexpensive compared to most but we still have to feed 130 people!

4 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 10, 2018 at 23:33
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If your meals are being served by others, inform them the limitations of meat portions per person. No exemptions for family or friends. I agree with the statemsnt of byof if any guest will be hungry. You shouldn't have to fork out more meat from your budget.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with what's been said. It is a delicate situation that might be better handled in person and letting people know there are limits to orders is not a bad thing since you are provided the most expensive portion of the dinner. As Katherine said, if they feel like it's not enough, they can bring an extra side dish they love and have that with their meat.

• Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would tell he the limits on the main course and mention that they can have unlimited sides... I would also suggest that if that is not enough for them they are welcome to bring their own as it is pot luck... Good luck
  • Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hm... yeh I can definitely see the issue! Seems like she doesn't quite understand the concept; perhaps a discussion by phone or in person would clear things up? Although I am sure your invite was clear, but perhaps if you or your FH explain in person/phone rather than by message that each person selects *one* main dish (like when you go to a resto), ex. 1 hamburger or 2 hotdogs or pork loin, and then everyone brings a side dish so that there will be enough food/selection (like a salad bar at a resto!) to go around for everyone to feel nice and full Smiley smile let us know how it goes!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics