Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner July 2023 Ontario

Evening reception

Allison, on September 28, 2022 at 12:30 Posted in Wedding reception 0 6
We have been playing with the idea of having an evening reception with hors d'oeuvres and a midnight snack. We would have a small ceremony with just immediate family members and dinner with them.
We don’t want anything fancy or traditional, we just want everyone together and to have fun. Wedding will be in July so still lots of time for pictures before the sun sets.

Thinking of starting reception around 7-7:30pm. Opinions? Would this give guests enough time to eat dinner beforehand?

6 Comments

Latest activity by Allison, on September 29, 2022 at 12:28
  • A
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Good point, we don’t want people to rush. Not many people will be traveling so that helps as well.
    We will make it very clear on the invites as well.
    Thanks for the response!
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

OK, then that's fine. Unless you're serving a substantial amount of appetizers though, I personally would start the evening at 8pm. When you lump in getting ready and travel time, a 7pm start means people would have to eat by 5pm. I personally don't eat dinner that early but if I know there's a good sizable amount of appetizers at the wedding at 7pm, then I can have a light dinner and attend accordingly.

It'll help if you keep the dress code fairly casual but a lot of people do like to dress up, even if it's business casual.

Just make sure you're crystal clear in all of your communications and invitation that there is no dinner served at the wedding.

• A
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No they will only be attending the reception.
    Ceremony will be very intimate with only parents, siblings, and grandparents and we will have a dinner with them before reception.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Are you expecting guests to attend a ceremony then leave to make their own dinner arrangements outside of the wedding, and then come back to a reception with hors d'oeuvres?

• A
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    So good to hear! Thanks for the response Smiley smile
  • Brittany
    Featured August 2023 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey! So I went to 2 weddings like that this year and they were a BLAST! Both of them started at 7pm and they both had toonie bar ($2) and tons of snacks. One of the two I went to had a variety of sliders to build, so like pork, chicken, etc. with a side of mac and cheese and it was delicious. I only had that at about 8 pm and I did not have an other snack later in the evening. I would just go back for more mac and cheese lol. The second one I went to had a variety of finger foods available, charcuterie, sushi, pinwheel wraps and finger sandwiches. Later in the evening they pulled out a candy bar and it was awesome!

This timing gave more than enough time for my fiancé and I to go out for dinner (had something light) and travel about 30 minutes to get there and was still there by 6:55pm each time! I think it is a wonderful idea and if this was more popular when we first got engaged I would 100% do this instead. Have a later ceremony and go right to dinner with the family and wedding party, clean that up and have the party start for 7:30 pm! When everyone comes you can even do the cake cutting at this time so they also get some dessert which would make them even more full and less likely for a late night snack on top of the appys you will be serving to them.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics