Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Vanessa
Frequent user September 2019 Ontario

Engagement shoot outfit ideas

Vanessa, on January 3, 2019 at 13:35 Posted in Before the wedding 0 5

Hi!

We're doing our engagement shoot next week and I'm wondering what to wear/colours that will look nice on camera outside. We will be going ice skating for part of the shoot and doing some cozy/romantic photos with a blanket as well. Post pics!

5 Comments

Latest activity by Tori, on January 3, 2019 at 22:33
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

To be quite honest I went into my photo shoot thinking that I would have two outfits and whatnot - but I ended up wearing my jacket the ENTIRE shoot... to be fair I don't plan on looking back on these pictures nearly are much as my wedding pictures so keep that in mind so you don't stress too much about it Smiley smile

• Alie
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Alie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Josh and i wore jeans. I had a sweater and he had a button up. My only advice is dress for the weather. Colors dont really matter... And have fun! We love our candid shots just as much as our posed ones

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would maybe have your FH in plaid and you in a warm sweater! No matter what you pick, make sure it's warm, comfy and you feel good in it!

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had our engagement photos taken on July 22, so I will post a couple outfit photos so you know what I mean about colours/prints, but obviously you won't be wearing sandals and a short dress Smiley xd

I picked 2 outfits for the photos, a laid-back casual look, and a fancier look. The advice I received that worked great and I'll pass on to you is:

- One pattern at a time. One of you can be in a pattern, preferably something larger/simple. The other should be in solids.

- Wear complimentary colours, not matching. My FH had a plaid shirt that had teal stripes in it, so I wore a teal shirt... For our 'formal' look, he wore black, so I had free range to play with colour.

- Do not wear logos, neons, or big accessories (ex, hats). They are distracting, and neon reflects on the skin.

- Do not wear something brand new. I bought a romper for our fancy look, and I wore it to work one day so I could "break it in" and get used to wearing it.

- The best colours I find are ones that compliment your surroundings, but don't blend in. We had fresh, bright greenery and the river, so the teal wasn't a colour that occured naturally, but it complimented the environment. If it's going to be winter weather (snow/brown trees), perhaps lean towards some burgundies, dark blues, dark greens, and more seasonal prints (plaids, tweed, etc).

One piece of advice I'll give you, don't wear flimsy clothing. I felt more comfortable in my casual look, but in photos, it looked very soft and not as flattering. The romper was much more structured, and that gave it a more polished/slimming look. I would still recommend including a casual look, but maybe look for a nice button up plaid top, or blouse... it will be more structured for photos. The cotton t-shirts kind of crumple/ruffle when you're moving around, and you're not going to adjust it all the time.

I included our 2 looks and a few poses for you to see for reference.

Have tons of fun! Skating & cozying up sounds so picturesque!!

Dressy LookEngagement shoot outfit ideas 1Casual LookEngagement shoot outfit ideas 2

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did 2 summer shoots so I wont pist my outfits (cute little dresses) the main thing is to be COMFY! Especially out in the cold dress as you usually would do so you dont look out of place! Maybe avoid all black as colours would pop really well against the snow! Depending doing how "Canadian" you want to go you and you FH could rock some red flannel or plaid! If you have decided on any wedding colours play with those too! I would avoid too much pastels, that's a very spring color!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics