Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Meghan
Devoted September 2022 Ontario

Engagement rings during ceremony

Meghan, on April 17, 2022 at 07:48 Posted in Wedding ceremony 1 21

Okay serious question cause I truly don't know, whats the general rule of thumb? Are you supposed to wear your engagement ring during the ceremony or put it on after? or is it personal preference? TIA

21 Comments

Latest activity by Rebecca, on June 10, 2022 at 10:58
  • Rebecca
    Expert October 2023 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I love how choice is more important than tradition here Smiley heart

i was also genuinely curious and am glad ultimately it is up to me Smiley smile

• Darbi
    Frequent user August 2022 Alberta
    Darbi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Such a good question, thanks for asking! I think I'll wear mine on my right hand and then switch it over during the signing.

• Danielle
    Frequent user April 2022 Ontario
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wore my engagement ring as I normally do - I prefer my wedding band on top of it anyways, regardless of tradition! Although, to be honest, we didn't do many "traditional" things at our wedding all around Smiley smile I say, do what makes you happiest! I hate being apart from my engagement ring so I wouldn't have felt right without it for even part of the day. I had a scary accident with my ring finger a couple days before the wedding so I was just happy to be able to get both on for the day.

Engagement rings during ceremony 1

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    At my wedding this past weekend I wore my engagement ring as normal, then when our witnesses were signing the license (my husband and I were a few feet away from the signing table looking away from the guests at the river) I switched my rings so the wedding band was closer to my heart. I hadn't planned swapping them at that point but in the moment it seemed like the perfect time!
  • C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

According to google there's no wrong way, whatever you choose to do is your decision.

As far as how to stack them, tradition holds that you'll wear the wedding band inside the engagement ring so that it's closer to your heart.

Customarily, brides-to-be switch their engagement ring to their alternate hand just before walking down the aisle. This allows their partner to easily slide the wedding band onto their ring finger during the ceremony. The bride can then move the engagement ring back to the left hand, topping off the new wedding band, after the processional.

I was planning on just keeping my engagement ring on and he can slide the wedding band on. I feel like I won't have time to switch and my engagement ring is loose on me.

But I'm glad someone asked this question, very good question, I had never thought of this until now.

• Pamela
    Curious September 2022 Ontario
    Pamela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Mine is a matched set that I’ve worn for years. Now that we are making it official I’ll probably just put my engagement ring on my right hand for the ceremony with my anniversary band. Pop them over afterwards. Engagement rings during ceremony 2

• Maggnard-Smanta
    Devoted July 2022 Quebec
    Maggnard-Smanta ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is such a good question. I was wondering the same thing...
  • D
    Devoted September 2022 Alberta
    Derek ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My fiancee's wedding ring does this (it's part of a set). I expect we will be doing this too.
  • Hailey
    Expert June 2022 British Columbia
    Hailey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I planned on wearing it on my left finger and having my FH add wedding band infront of it. It is a match to my engagement ring without the diamond in the middle and I think 1. Will help my engagement ring not spin 2. I like the thought of my FH putting the engagement ring on my left finger first and adding the wedding band to symbolize forever with him.
    3. My engagement ring has also made a forever imprint (literally a ring indent around my wedding band finger that it hides the imprint LOL its so weird because it fits perfectly like its not even tight!)
    for photos I may just switch my engagement to my right hand but I haven't decided yet. I would like to avoid seeing the small imprint during the ceremony 😅

• KELLY
    Super October 2023 Ontario
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My engagement ring fits inside my wedding band, I am going to give it to my FH the night before the wedding and during the ceremony he can put it on my finger

• Meghan
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I also agree with Nelly and will be doing the same!

• Meghan
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Okay yeah i think i'm going to do this as well! I definitely prefer my wedding band under my engagement as well! thanks for your response

• Meghan
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think i'm going to do the same!

• Meghan
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thats a cute idea!

• Dessa
    Frequent user September 2023 British Columbia
    Dessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Carmel, That's my plan too! My ring spins and hoping the band in front will hold it in place! Enjoy your special day!!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Your engagement ring may fit your wedding band if choosing the style to go with it or alone if not planning to wear the engagement ring. It can be taken off before the ceremony if chosen to.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will be wearing mine on my right hand until after the ceremony

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I like idea of wearing it on the other hand...though I think I'll probably forget so it will end up being under the wedding band until I switch it.
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I will be doing what Nelly said!
    My friend who recently got married put her engagement ring on her right hand for the ceremony then put it back on her left hand after the ceremony.
    Ultimately I think it is whatever you want!
  • C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    In certain cultures or religions there are rules for this but I didn't follow ours. I just wore mine and my wedding band was placed above. Didn't switch it either, I prefer this order as it keeps my engagement ring from spinning and I like the look...but I'm often be told it's "wrong" lol. I'm a big supporter of you do you!
  • N
    Curious June 2023 Ontario
    Nelly+Raquel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m planning to wear my engagement ring during the ceremony with my wedding ring above it. On our way to take pictures I will flip it as I prefer to wear my wedding band first and then my engagement ring above it

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics