Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kate
Featured August 2022 Ontario

Engagement Ring : complete surprise or previously picked out?

Kate, on November 29, 2022 at 13:23 Posted in Before the wedding 0 29

Hello all!

Let's talk rings!

I feel like it is becoming more and more common to pick out your own ring and have your sweetheart go pick up or drop lots of hints as to what you love!

So my question is - did you give your partner total control and freedom over the selection and in turn it was a total surprise or did you have a large say and/or actually pick the exact ring??

I personally let my fiance at the time pick because I wanted it to be what he thought would be great BUT between us all... I didn't love it, tried to love it but really was not crazy about it so I wore it and then later he could kind of tell and we ended up reselecting and now it's a win because I am happy with it and he is happy I am happy haha - the new choice was also less expensive so win win!

29 Comments

Latest activity by I'm, on March 17, 2023 at 18:30
  • Dayle
    Newbie October 2024 Ontario
    Dayle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I picked my ring! My partner spontaneously proposed while we were at a wedding (we had stepped out and were alone) so he didn't have the ring yet!
  • Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm the same, don't wear much jewelry and picky.

Haha I was in that boat, I wanted him to 100% pick it out so everytime I looked at it I would think of him bla bla but.........then I did not really like what he picked and reality set in LOL - I need to love it if it's going on my hand, period.

• Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sounds like a win/win!

• Natasha
    Curious April 2023 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We designed the engagement ring together but I didn't see it in person until he proposed.
  • C
    Beginner October 2024 Ontario
    Cassidy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I picked! I know my finace doesnt know much about jewelry and honestly, I am so picky because I don't wear jewelry much myself! He told me is budget (we decided to keep it very low as we have a new home, etc) and I found one I like in that range. I told him moissanite was a good option but he insisted it had to be diamond...so at least he had some say? Hahah so now I have a small diamond and the ring I love! Dainty but nice Smiley smile I will say though, sometimes I regret choosing and wish he had more say!

• D
    Devoted September 2022 Alberta
    Derek ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My wife and I shopped for rings together. We found a bridal set (combined wedding & engagement rings) that were stunning and affordable. When looking for my ring we found it quite quickly, in the same store as we bought hers.
  • Brittney
    Beginner May 2023 Ontario
    Brittney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I made a 4 ring list on the Notes app and sent it to him 😂. He made the final choice but they were all ones I loved.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I surprised her.

• Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Aw happy to hear it! Smiley heart

• Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Aw sounds like it all worked out. I can appreciate his realistic thinking and I agree the one who wears it should love it lol. Sounds like you still got the surprise factor with when he asked Smiley heart

• Jenn
    Devoted August 2025 Ontario
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I tried to have my BFF show him a top 3 rings, and have him ultimately choose, but he was like "nope, you pick the one you absolutely want - you are the one who has to wear it!" Plus, he wanted to make sure it fit from the get-go.

My BFF and I went to look at LOTS of rings, and I also went on my own to a few places... but when the salesperson showed me the ring that she would choose if she were getting married again, I fell in love instantly with it - my BFF said she saw it in my face, and when I tried it on, I didn't want to take it off.

We bought the ring, band, and his ring all in one shot... I just didn't know when he would pop the question - so that part was a huge surprise.

• P
    Curious September 2023 Alberta
    Pam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The ring and the engagement were complete surprises. I mentioned in passing that I wanted an aquamarine centre stone but he chose the ring, with feedback from my bff, and I absolutely love it!
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Im really glad to we went outside of the top 3 to surprise me! The ring he picked fits in very well with the top 3
  • Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Aw love that. I totally think if the moment presents itself one should go for it! It clearly felt right and genuine and that is what is most important ring at the time or no ring Smiley heart

• Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's the best when it is a surprise and you love it! Sounds like you lucked out Smiley smile

• Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Love that so it definitely was a big surprise! Sounds like he knows your style well and love that he was confident enough to go outside your top 3!

• Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hahaha this is so funny and cute, and true!

• Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree! I think it's super sweet the idea of your partner picking your ring all out on their own but you also have to be realistic and if it is something you do not like are you going to be okay with that?? I think everyone should love their ring and your partner should want you to love your ring Smiley smile Happy you ended up with one you love!!

• Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Custom, love it and love that he picked the colour - so sweet!

• A
    Beginner July 2023 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My partner popped the question without the ring. It was still a complete surprise, for both of us lol! He wasn’t planning on asking when he did but the perfect moment came and that’s when he did it.
    We went ring shopping together and I picked out the one I liked. I wouldn’t change anything about the way he did it. I like how it wasn’t planned so I was caught completely off guard.
  • Julie
    Featured May 2023 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A complete surprise. He picked it out himself and I absolutely LOVE IT!!! The boy has good taste Smiley sexy

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We went shopping together to see what style I liked. After shopping I gave him a top 3 but gave him full control on picking whatever he wanted. I knew he'd only get something if he was confident I'd love it. He picked a bridal set that wasn't from my top 3 and it was sooo much nicer and I love it!
  • C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We both picked something we both liked. He regrets it because it’s sharp and I sometimes scratch him. Lol
  • Brittany
    Featured August 2023 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I showed my FH a bunch of different styles that I liked (mostly pear and oval shape rings). Because I had such differing opinions, he decided to take me ring shopping on Valentine's day of 2021.

My top favorite was the Vera Wang pear shape ring, a solitaire heart shaped ring and my current cluster diamond pear shaped ring.

I had a very strong reaction to my ring and it was definitely easy to tell which one was my favorite LOL and I ended up with it. I am super happy we did it this way because I would hate to not like my ring.

• Malyssa
    Expert October 2022 Alberta
    Malyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had showed my husband some styles I liked and mostly that I wanted a colored gem rather than a diamond. He actually ended up custom making my engagement ring so it's completely personal to me, using some gold and diamonds he got from his late grandmother. And it's perfect, exactly what I was after and even picked my favorite color for the gem, purple amethyst. 💜
  • Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Omgsh even better - it was a super surprise all around; love that!

• Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love that you kind of had a say but still gave him options so he could be apart of the decision and super cute that he picked your favourite! Smiley heart

• Lisa
    Curious June 2023 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had no idea that an engagement was coming, let alone any input into a ring. But he did amazing - I love my ring! It's absolutely perfect for my personal style and preference!

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My husband and I had talked about rings before hand and I had given him 5 different rings that I loved and he went from there. I never told him which one I loved the most. He really does know me because he picked the one I realllllly wanted haha

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics