Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Newbie September 2024 Ontario

Engagement party or Bridal shower

Julie, on July 3, 2023 at 22:26 Posted in Before the wedding 0 6

Hi friends, I have been thinking of which one to have (i do not want both). We have to plan each one ourselves given our families live far away but i believe that if I get the help of my FH that he should be involved too. I guess I have a couple questions. Is there a difference and how far out should we do it? We are getting married September 21st 2024.

Thank you in advance!!!

6 Comments

Latest activity by Julie, on July 23, 2023 at 20:08
  • J
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone for your advice! I think engagement party will be the best option!!

• J
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you! I think that’s going to be the plan!!

• Kelli
    Frequent user September 2024 Alberta
    Kelli ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re having an engagement party and a bridal shower. so it’s more intimate/family experience together. Me and my FH decided we would just like to have a nice get together with each other. We
  • Brittany
    Featured August 2023 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would do an engagement party! We chose an engagement party over just me having a bridal shower and it was so much more fun!

We invited guests from both of our sides and booked a room in the restaurant, it was so much fun. I would do it again 10 times over than doing a bridal shower.

In your case, I would plan the party to be this fall - give people a few months to get travel situated. It would be like a kick off to wedding planning for the next year.

• Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would probably choose an engagement party and as mentioned by Hank, of course invite everyone you plan to invite to the wedding. Also, since your families are far away, it brings everyone in from your side and your fiancé's side at the same time to celebrate. I also like the idea that people do not need to bring gifts and they are just to come to genuinely celebrate.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

They're different events. A bridal shower's purpose is to get gifts for the bride, usually at a party attended by the bride's friends and family. If you want to bring in the groom's family and friends, you can have a Jack and Jill (same idea, but with both sides present). These are usually held around 4-8 weeks before the wedding.

An engagement party is like a birthday party except the cause of celebration is the couple's engagement and no gifts are expected. It's usually held within the month of engagement.

Not sure how big your wedding is planned to be, but it is good etiquette for those invited to a bridal shower/Jack and Jill to also be invited to the wedding. Otherwise, you're treating those guests as a gift grab. So if you're planning to keep your wedding party and guest list small, a shower might not be the best option. And since your family lives far away and it may be cumbersome for them to attend multiple events, I would just host a casual engagement party attended by friends who are local to you.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics