Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Carmela
Devoted April 2019 Ontario

Engagement Party

Carmela, on January 25, 2018 at 20:17 Posted in Before the wedding 0 9

So my FH really wants an engagement party since he won't be having a stag, while I am good to NOT have one. But after going back and forth on the decision I agreed, we looked at different location, then the menu and finally coming up with the guest list (we are at 72 people!) I don't know how I feel about all this, 72 people is a huge number and our location isn't that big but it fits our budget. I don't know, maybe I'm just nervous of people complaining about how squished they will be but my FH and I looked everywhere for a location that wasn't going to cost us an arm and a leg. I told my FH that since I am planning the wedding, he's doing all the planning for the engagement party.

Guys, what do you do to calm your nervous when you feel like this?

9 Comments

Latest activity by Jessica, on January 31, 2018 at 15:12
  • Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had around 50 people at our engagement party. I initially didn't want any parties besides the bachelor/bachelorette parties, but I'm having the wedding far from my family's hometown, so decided it would be good to see people from that side of the family who probably would say no at the wedding due to travel concerns.

My parents hosted and took care of all the planning. We had it in my parent's backyard and they did a "bring a dish" type of thing, but provided all the drinks and made lasagnas for everyone. Do you have a family member who would be willing to do it or someone from your wedding party willing to help out? It sounds like your fiance has it covered, but to help ease your nerves, it may help.

• R
    Beginner June 2018 Nova Scotia
    Raylene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Traditionally someone else hosts the engagement party not the couple, but you could simplify it by just doing a cocktail and hors d’oeuvres with some entertainment
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had about 90 people at our engagement party. We hosted a brunch instead of a dinner. We basically broke even with the event. Coming from a Portuguese family , I get the whole "need alot of space" challenge! We have a 225 at our wedding which is small by my Portuguese family standards lol so we had to go a banquet hall route. It was a lovely day! I think you should put some thought I not the space. If it's tight you don't want yourselves or your family to be uncomfortable. Can you rethink the venue at all? Are they providing food?
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Engagement party! A cost no one wants. Your FH should consider what the cost is for your end and how much is going into it.
    If he feels this is his wanting of celebration, has he thought if all the guests will be able to attend from long distance?
    Personally a lot of indians have engagement parties and it's not easy keep it low key. Its always about everyone you know to come out to celebrate.

Keep kt simple and pot luck at a family members home or friends bbq style.
  • Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We went super casual with our engagement party - we had a BBQ in our backyard and no set guest list - we just invited everyone! We had a bonfire and drinks and it was very relaxing. Maybe looking at a more casual place to have it may help ease some of the anxiety?

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say you should talk to your FH and tell him how you feel. Maybe a smaller guest list will be better or have a backyard bbq that is more casual.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Is their a pavilion at a park nearby or a beach you could have it at? Then it’s outdoors so plenty of room and possinly free? We are having ours at my FH’s rugby club because they have the indoor and outdoor for everything, but we also checked out a local park pavilion and it was super cheap!
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

72 people is the number of people I'm having at my wedding!

Maybe see if you can cut the guest list number down a bit, typically its meant for immediate family and bridal party or close friends to celebrate with you, so don't stress out!

Definitely talk to your FH to let him know how you're feeling.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you're feeling stressed or anxious about it, you should definitely sit down with your FH and let him know. He might be planning it, but that doesn't mean that he can't take into consideration your feelings or ideas.

I've had friends host BBQs, brunches and pot lucks. They made it as casual or formal as they wanted. Most of them kept the guest list pretty small though : close family and friends only, which could help with the room and budget part.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics