Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kate
Featured August 2022 Ontario

Engagement : How long is too long?

Kate, on January 23, 2023 at 22:11 Posted in Before the wedding 0 24
Brides/wives/grooms/husbands!

How long was your engagement? Do you prefer a longer engagement (more time to plan!) Or shorter - let's get to it! I know Covid probably impacted a lot of the engagements out there as well.
For us it was shorter, we decided we wanted to marry in October 2021 and by August 2022 we we had our day ❤ It honestly was the right amount of time for me to plan everything, mind you it was a smaller affair but too much time and I think it would have drove me crazy going back and forth on decisions! Engagement : How long is too long? 1

24 Comments

Latest activity by Irene, on January 23, 2024 at 14:56
  • Irene
    Newbie June 2024 Ontario
    Irene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are planned for 8 months from the time of the proposal October 2023-June 2024. Which in the area I live in actually a longer than average time. I live in a small religious town so weddings usually happen between 3-6 months after the proposal.

• Cahaya
    Newbie May 2025 British Columbia
    Cahaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    About 2 years - so we plan to marry in May 2025. We wanted to wrap up some renovation work on the home first. I also work full-time in addition to taking an evening class each quarter toward my MBA, which I hope to complete by then! We didn’t want things to feel too chaotic. 2 years seemed right.
  • Matilda
    Featured June 2025 Ontario
    Matilda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having a 2 year engagement, we will be working for 2 years in our career field before we are married and also our house closing is 3 months before we are married
  • Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh I know - so many people got screwed around and the right thing was not done by so many venues I heard.

Our wedding in August and this year, I feel like Covid is less in the spotlight so it makes event planning fun again! Smiley heart

• Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm so sorry to hear Smiley heart and yes, pretty magical how timing works out that way. Your day is almost here!!

• E
    Newbie June 2023 Ontario
    Elle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got engaged in October 2021 and are getting married in June 2023, so just over a year and a half engagement. To be honest, I just couldn’t bring myself to attempt planning a wedding during Covid with so many horror stories of brides losing their deposits, venues closing, vendors drastically changing their prices, gathering restrictions kept changing, etc. There was just too much uncertainty for me to feel confident planning during that time, which meant we had a longer engagement.
  • Carrie
    Newbie May 2023 Ontario
    Carrie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got engaged Dec 24th 2021 and we’re getting married May 12th 2023. I think it’s been perfect timing for us. My Mom passed in June which rocked my world and halted my planning for awhile. If we were planning earlier I would not have been prepared mentally at all!!
  • C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm already worst case scenario, but have my MC taking care of that. Also it's a small wedding so nothing drastic can really happened.

But I can see it flying by, Hello January where did you go?

• L
    Frequent user August 2023 Ontario
    Lily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Got engaged Sept 2021 and would've loved to have gotten married in summer of 2022; however, the vendors we wanted were completely booked. I also wasn't too keen on planning a wedding in under a year.

We'll be getting married this August! So we'll have been engaged just shy of two years. Time really has flown by!

• Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Totally get that - good for you for rolling with the curves of life! Smiley heart

• Jenn
    Devoted August 2025 Ontario
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Currently going on 5 years engaged - Life and covid have put a wrench in things (and hits keep coming lol), but it is what it is! Just don't know at this point when we can officially start planning (putting money down) again.

My folks are both older (mid-80s/late 70s) tho, so we are debating doing a family-only JOP ceremony in the coming year, just in case - not something I necessarily want to think about, but I have to... FH and I would have our "dream" wedding with all of our other loved ones in a few years

• Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wait until it's like a month before. Every night I went to bed thinking about it, it felt like the longest time yet it was the quickest lol - such a mind screw lol.

ALSO prepare to have grace because that can also be when things suddenly go not as planned I mean hopefully not for you but on the Tuesday before our Saturday wedding, we had our original magician cancel due to him getting Covid.... not the best news but luckily he had a back up who totally rocked it so we would not have even known the different anyway - everything somehow works out! Smiley heart

• Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's not bad considering this was right in the peak of Covid times! And I would totally wait longer if it meant getting our top vendors - well worth it!

• C
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

When I started tracking it was like 600 days now it's 250 and I'm excited but at the same time can it please slow down. I could use the time to be as slow as my work days. lol

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My preference was 8-12 months but when we got engaged I knew that wouldn't be possible. We got engaged at the end of 2020 and I was pretty confident it wouldn't be that easy to get married in 2021 so we went with 17 months and I think it was perfect! Gave me lots of time to DIY things which saved us sooo much money and we got our top choices for all vendors since we booked them shortly after we got engaged.
  • Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think totally normal! It's weird to think because a year sounds long if you break it down by days but somehow it can fly by!

For me, at the beginning I was so excited and feeling confident then closer to like 2 months ish, it hit me and I started to feel so nervous! haha then fast forward to the day of, it all just goes away and it is filled with such happiness and love and the nerves disappear. I'm sure you will find yourself wanting to relive the day over and over again Smiley heart

• C
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Engaged a little over a year and getting married at the end of September, he wanted October 14 as the 14th would have been our anniversary date, but the venue was booked so we booked the one Saturday they were available. I sometimes wish it was a longer engagement save more money and also, I'm getting the wedding nerves. Smiley atonished I'm stressing there's not enough time, we are running out of time.

I hope this is normal.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It really was!

• Julie
    Featured May 2023 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You know that, I know that, but HE/THEY don't see that LOL He slowly came around though

• Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think that's a great amount of time. I can definitely see how lots of venues would be booked so most people are probably looking at least a year away I feel like that's typically minimum.

• Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Worth the wait I'm sure Smiley heart

• Julie
    Featured May 2023 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have been engaged since May 14, 2022. FH wanted to get married October 2022 but there was no way that was happening Smiley sexy Places were booked solid until the end of 2022. So we agreed May 6, 2023. He thought it was too far away. In reality, the time has flown by.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ours was 4 years and 8 months!

It would've been 2 and half years but thanks to covid for pushing it another 2 years! Even if we did get married in 2020 so the 2 and a half year mark of our engagement it would've been perfect. We were able to save tones of money that way! Plus our venue we had to wait a whole year before we could book our date since they were booked solid for a whole year.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics