Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Amelia
Master October 2020 New Brunswick

Engagement Announcements

Amelia, on January 4, 2021 at 19:23 Posted in Before the wedding 0 16
Who was the first to know about your engagement?

*Technically* the first person I told was a stranger. We got engaged on a Saturday night and the next morning I had plans to meet someone for a marketplace deal. She commented on how beautiful my ring was and I got to refer to Taylor as "my fiance" for the first time! I have the image of that woman's front porch burned into my memory.
Later that day we told my parents in person and his parents over Skype, but I will always remember that a stranger technically knew before my mom (maybe don't tell mom that...)

16 Comments

Latest activity by Amelia, on January 8, 2021 at 15:03
  • Amelia
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    His knew before mine, if they lived closer we might have told them at the same time.

We asked all the parents not to post anything on Facebook and his mother misunderstood, instead of waiting for our ok she posted after a week when we hadn't told everyone else. I was at the grocery store and my phone would not stop vibrating from all the notifications.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

And that's exactly why I didn't ask her parents for permission (in addition to the whole weirdness of asking for "permission" in 2019).

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

So the question is, which set of parents found out first? lol Smiley tongue

• Darren
    Frequent user May 2021 Ontario
    Darren ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiancé proposed & I didn’t see it coming. We did an evening after work of going to the CN Tower & then dinner at The Keg. Once the “Will you marry me?” dessert came out I said yes & called my aunt right away who balled her eyes out. The next morning I told my parents, a few friends who wouldn’t forgive me if the found out via social media. Then we posted our proposal moment & my ring on FB to make the announcement & that blew up.
  • Jess
    Newbie June 2023 Alberta
    Jess ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I called my mom after & his family already knew it was gonna happen so they sent me texts and messages! my mom urged me to come over that day for dinner (my brother still lives with my parents and my sister was also gonna be over for dinner) to tell my siblings and dad.

and then after that we changed our relationship status on facebook so everryyybody knew (it blew up lol)
  • Kim
    Devoted June 2022 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiancé proposed with our two best friends present taking pictures, so I guess they knew first! But after it had happened, we drove straight to my parents house to talk to them. He had actually spoken to my parents before doing it, but only the day before! I guess he couldn't keep the secret from me for very long.

Later that night we went for dinner with our friends that were present, and they couldn't contain themselves and excitedly told our server so she was also one of the first!

• Cindy
    Frequent user May 2021 Alberta
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I called my Mom first so her, my Step-dad and Aunt as they were all together at my moms. He called his mom, then his dad and Step-mom. After that he was on the phone with his brother and I called my sister and my brother. Our closest friends came after that then the good ole Facebook about 2 weeks later. I am sure there were a lot of texts and calls in between but we got the most important people out of the way the day of the proposal.

• Amelia
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I don't think my dad could have kept that a secret from my mom (who would totally blab)! Glad yours didn't spill the beans!
  • Sara
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance asked my dad's permission prior to popping the question, so I guess you could say him!

After it actually happened, it would be my fiance's brother and sister-in-law as they were travelling with us when it happened! Luckily so, because they are probably our two greatest friends on earth! There is no other two people I would rather have had share the moment with us

• Sharlene
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got engaged at Niagara Falls. My ring was made by a store in Mississauga so we went to pick it up. My father in law and step mother in law were in the area so it was a chance for me to meet them for the first time. They accompanied us on the trip, so technically they were the first people to know about our engagement plus a few people that saw my husband down on one knee asking me to marry him 🙂

Try not to get hung up on details and just enjoy the ride!
  • Christina
    Curious August 2022 Ontario
    Christina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got engaged at midnight on my birthday which is also Christmas Eve/Christmas. I called my parents right after and they already knew! He had asked my dad for permission. Who knew my family could keep a damn secret!? Best bday ever Smiley smile
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Since we got engaged at home by ourselves Christmas morning, my fiance and I first called both of our parents and immediate family first. Then our very close friends and then we had posted it on social media.

• Amelia
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Aw! I love that they had your friends in on the surprise!
  • Amelia
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    A few of our friends didn't notice either! We had made plans to tell everyone as a group on Friday and I had cooking class with 2 of them on Wednesday. We sat together for about an hour before one of them noticed! I was mostly shocked at this because a coworker took 3.7 seconds to see the ring and went straight to bouncy squealing cheerleader mode.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I guess for us it's the two lovely ladies who are strangers that walked by us on the bridge that I asked to take the photo of the engagement. We didn't technically tell them "we got engaged" but they were right there when it happened and we talked because I asked them to take a photo.

I called my mom and told her after the proposal, as she knew it was coming. I didn't ask her parents for permission before hand so we were excited to go back to her place and tell them. Her sister found out first, then her brother. Then they told us how if we don't say anything, her parents will never notice despite the ring on her finger. So we spent the next THREE HOURS (!) not saying a thing, eating dinner, waving her hand around their faces until her dad finally noticed and said "nice ring" before it clicked in his head and go "ohhhhh." The funny business kept going on for another 15 minutes before the father said something to her mom.

• Aimerance
    Curious April 2021 Ontario
    Aimerance ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I guess for me his friends and my friends knew first as they helped him the surprise which I had no clue because I thought it was just his birthday party. Then the next person would be my parents when I got home

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics