Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Newbie April 2021 Ontario

Engagement Announcement Help!

Crystal, on September 1, 2019 at 01:43 Posted in Before the wedding 0 10

Hey guys and gals!

Okay, so I haven't been engaged for very long, but I already told most of the "immediates" in my family about it, EXCEPT my father. Now, I'm on the younger end of the engaged women (18, but still an adult), and my FH is 20, so it isn't like its anything too extreme... but my father has been the number 1 man in my life since day 1, I've never felt scared to tell him ANYTHING... up until now. I already told my mother (my parents are just recently separated) and she was calm about it.

What I'm asking here is... HOW SHOULD I TELL MY FATHER?! I want it to be in person, and I want to tell him on the Saturday coming up (Sept. 7). PLEASE HELP!

10 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on September 12, 2019 at 15:33
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Has to be in person for sure!! invite him over make dinner and be like dad i have some exciting news!!!

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It sounds like it'll be a positive experience overall, even if emotional! Sometimes those responses are the sweetest, even if it turns into a cryfest, haha.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with the others when they say to tell him with your FH and to do it in person if possible. Only thing I would change is perhaps getting your FH to ask him for permission first? I proposed to my FH Dec. 2017 when I was 20 and he was 27 and although we got engaged Dec. 30th we didn't tell anybody until he asked my Dad for permission (even our FB announcement says January 5th 2018).

Other than that I would say that as young as I am my parents were super sportive and are now just wondering when they will get grand kids Smiley tongue

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    And make sure you do it soon since others know..... hearing it from someone else will be horrible for both of you.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm sure once you tell him it'll be a great story. It's nice that your dad is invested enough to have an emotional response....its a good thing. Yes it may change your relationship a bit. Yes you are an adult but still his baby girl. Good luck to you.
  • C
    Crystal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Just the emotional part of it all. He still looks at me as his baby girl, and seeing him get emotional is a very far and few between event.
  • C
    Crystal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That was the plan - in person. It only scares me, because I’m the oldest of my siblings, and my father is an emotional person when it comes to certain things. I just want him to be excepting of it all. Plus... seeing my father emotional makes me emotional.
  • Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He'd probably appreciate it more if you tell him in-person, but you'd know this best! Is there any particular reason why you're worried other than your age?

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Will FH be with you? Tell him together. What is it about telling your dad that scares you?
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’d just ask to meet up at a restaurant or coffee shop and let him know.

Im not close with my dad but I called him on the phone after I had gotten engaged that night. My dad doesn’t live close by or I would’ve let him know in person.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics