Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alexandria
Curious August 2021 Ontario

Emailing Invitations

Alexandria, on August 10, 2018 at 07:05 Posted in Before the wedding 0 20

Hello everyone!

I had a discussion with my mom this summer about what to splurge on and what to spend little/no money on...haha. One of the things that she voted for me to be thrifty with is invitations, to the extent that she recommended, "Send email invitations. No one is going to keep them, it is a total waste of time and money, and not worth the effort or expense." She said even she wouldn't keep it; that she'd kept a lot of her friends' ones over the years and now they were just gathering dust! I suggested that I make them myself and she said, "Well, would the time be well-spent?"

I feel that she has a point, and I spent a day hand-painting a Save-the-Date and thought, "WHY do you need a paper one? Just email!"

The only reason I feel that I want a physical invitation for the wedding is a) I want a photo of the invite in the photo album we'd get with all the wedding photos... b) Our family in France might like to receive something since many of them won't be able to make it anyways; it could be like a keepsake?

I found a great website that makes email invitations for what I think is a reasonable price.

www.greenvelope.com

But in the back of my mind I just hear, "YOU ARE GOING TO REGRET THIS" and "EMAIL INVITES = TACKY + GOING AGAINST ETIQUETTE"...

What are your thoughts?

20 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on August 13, 2018 at 12:53
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I personally don't like the idea of emailed invitations, however, I also hate the idea of spending too much money on invitations too! I know people say that the invitation "sets the tone" for the wedding, but I think there has to be a healthy medium to things.

• Christine
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Christine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're also doing electronic save the dates and invitations with the exception of printing off a couple for grandparents or people without emails. It saves a lot of money but it's also better for the environment. We're using a program called Canva because my FH has a subscription through work. I think they also have a free version of the program too.

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re totally doing electronic save the dates and invitations. I’ve got one aunt who doesn’t have an email address and tbh, we’ll just tell her in person.

We’re using AppyCouple, and I’m really pleased with the design, since it was hard to decide on one that both me and my FH could agree on (he hates the floral ones).
  • Jacinta
    Newbie September 2018 British Columbia
    Jacinta ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hey Isabel! I did my Save the Date with Paperless Post and Invitations with Vistaprint
  • Isabel
    Curious June 2019 Quebec
    Isabel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Jacinta,

Did you do your invitations eith Vistaprint or just the save the date? Thanks!
  • A
    Devoted October 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh I really like that idea...
  • Jacinta
    Newbie September 2018 British Columbia
    Jacinta ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had the same dilemma and ended up sending our Save the Date via email and invitations by mail. It was kind of nice to see them up on my family and friends’ fridges Smiley smile I did mine through Vistaprint during one of their many sales (they have sales ALL the time) and spent about $50 total!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Emailing Invitations 1

I opted to go paper because its something that done in our family. I do find going email to those being computer savvy is a great for them. For others that are the opposite, paper does allow them to know what to expect and the information to follow for hotel reservations. The formal feeling of sending paper over email is to let your guest know how much your going out to invite them. I see your moms point of view. You and your fiancé should make that final decision together knowing he's got a say in this aw well.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Maybe do both?

Send out email invites to some close friends and family who will understand the cost savings but for people who are older or across seas you can still send them an invite and then have the extras for yourself!

I don't think email is tacky at all! In this day of age with technology and people generally being more cost conscious no one would look down on it!

I just beg you.... do not send an invite over Facebook... THAT IS TACKY.

It happened to me and I didn't go because I was so offended I got a facebook invite to a wedding...

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think it is tacky but a physical invitation is certainly a reminder for people to RSVP and that they have an upcoming event. I had a friend send her invitations by e-mail and things turned out fine for her so I think it is up to you.

• M
    Newbie October 2019 Ontario
    Melanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree, the paper invitation helps people remember to RSVP. i'm worried with email people will open it and forget to RSVP.
  • M
    Newbie October 2019 Ontario
    Melanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm currently struggling with the same thing!

I love the eco-friendly, budget conscious idea of digital invitations but I recently read the below article on the Knot which now has me wanting to send traditional invitations.

"2. Sending Paper Invitations

When it comes to wedding invites, you’ll to want to mail real, formal stationery. In this fast-paced, digital world, paper invites are simply more special. You want to elicit emotion about your wedding, so a sense of touch is important. No need to go crazy with tissues, laser-cut borders and multiple envelopes. Save money and paper with a simple white card stock with laser printing. And for all other prewedding events, like engagement parties, showers and the bachelor/bachelorette, evites are 100 percent okay." https://www.theknot.com/content/wedding-traditions-we-still-love

I like the idea of doing a bit of both - Digital Save the Dates, a simple traditional invitation and a digital RSVP but I think people will just throw out the paper invitation eventually.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I dont know how many invites you need (remember it's per household not per person)...
    I needed 65 for my 108 person guest list. I got 70 invites, plus envelopes, 70 details inserts, plus envelopes, 10 RSVP cards, plus envelopes, and 68 return address labels, with tax, and shipping, for $80.04... during a 50% off sale at Vistaprint.
    We just got our invited this week and they are awesome!! We are saving money by doing e-RSVP, aside from a select few older guests, and one uncle without internet.
    It is totally up to you, but don't cut anything YOU will regret not having... its your and your finances wedding, not your moms... there are very budget friendly option out there.
    And your mailed, formal invitations aren't for all your guests to save, you're right, most won't. it's the most formal way of inviting someone to your WEDDING.
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with being thrifty on invitations. but I personally think an email invite is tacky. but you can find so many happy mediums.

for us. we aren't doing a save the date. we emailed/messaged our family/friends that lived far away/out of country. I think save the dates are sooo pointless.

we are doing paper invitations. and doing a website/email rsvp. doing it this way saves you on stamps for the RSVP cards. and invite wise...it can be simple. we are going to have 2 cards in it. one that is the wedding invite (which will include ceremony and reception details) and the 2nd card will say "rsvp to this website" and include the hotel details and our wedding email.

printing them wise...vista print has so many awesome affordable options (check out marketing materials over invitations because its usually cheaper) and they always are having promos of some sort.

• Melissa
    Frequent user September 2018 Quebec
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is a hard one! Personally, I opted for paper invitations and did splurge on them. I don't regret it, but if you're trying to save money, I think you can find ways to do that with invitations. If you have the time, you can make your own and I think there are some sites where you can download or purchase templates (like Etsy?), but then you'd be responsible for the paper and envelopes. Postage is another factor that can drive up the cost of invitations. Additionally, if you do decide on paper invitations, you can opt to have guests RSVP online. In my opinion, I would explore the cost per invite for doing it yourself vs. online based on the number of people/families you're inviting. If there isn't a huge difference between paper and online, I'd personally do paper for the reasons others have outlined below.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My thoughts: so basically I complete agree with the whole email thing but I too got stuck at the wanting my own physical copy! I decided that I would do email Save the Dates - through weddingwire actually! And then basically copy it from the email I sent myself and print it off for me and a few older people in our family and on our guest list. As for the invitations, we decided that we would go with physical invitations for the main reason being that we don't mind spending a couple hundred dollars when most of our guests would be older and more appreciative for it. On the same hand we will not be sending RSVP cards in the invitations as we don't want to be paying for not only more paper but more postage! Instead we will have our wedding website with a how to rsvp and our phone number and email that they can rsvp to as well (and we will rsvp them on weddingwire ourselves).

Long story short: Evite Save the Dates - Physical Invitations - RSVP's done online or by phone

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I originally was going to order amazing invitations for our wedding, but we changed our plans and decided to do a destination wedding. Because the guest list was smaller but I still wanted to do physical invitations, I went to Michaels and I had a 55% off coupon. I got a box of 30 invitations for under $18. They had some really gorgeous ones, I was pretty impressed. We went with these ones because the blue goes with our decor. Anyways, you just go on the website, choose your font etc. And print at home. It took an hour. Not to bad. And I’m super happy with them.

Emailing Invitations 2

Emailing Invitations 3
  • Julie
    Expert March 2019 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    P.S the samples set from vistaprint.ca is free.
  • Julie
    Expert March 2019 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am one of those people who rarely checks my email. My Mom and I just met with a Lady who makes invitations a week ago. I know it's her running her business but she really explained to us that the Wedding Invitation sets the tone for your Wedding. You could order a sample Wedding invitation from vistaprint.ca. They are very inexpensive. Personally I save invitations so I'd prefer one in the mail.
  • S
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m cheap and love to save money whenever possible but I’m a little hesitant about that as a money saver. I know life gets really busy and if something is out of sight, it’s out of mind. If it’s an email I need to think about, I might forget about it because I don’t have a physical reminder.
    Thats me-maybe I’m alone on that but I feel like paper invitations (no matter how simple-plain cardstock) can be put on your fridge, kept on a desk, etc. That would help remind people to rsvp and be instructions for where to go.
    Also, older guests might not have email. I have a lot of seniors in my family and even though they can open an email...they won’t know what to do with it.
    Hope that helps.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics