Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Leah
Curious April 2022 Ontario

Eloping but want to do something special for our guests at our reception

Leah, on July 7, 2021 at 15:04 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 6
Hi everyone! My fiancé and I are toying with the idea of eloping this fall and keeping our wedding date as a reception only for our 130-ish guests. When we elope we will just have our MOH and best man with us, our photographer and videographer. We still want to do one or two things with our guests at our reception. Ideas we had were to have someone give a reading and a bridesmaid sing a song. Have any of you done this and how did it go? Do you have any regrets doing this? Also does anyone have any other ideas that we could incorporate for our ‘mock ceremony’ for our guests? Thanks in advance!!

6 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on July 18, 2021 at 11:40
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We had a small wedding itself after husband approved of going ahead.
  • Leah
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Vinod! And did you elope as well? How did you guys plan that?
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Nothing wrong with what you planning to do for your guests for an anniversary party or reception. I know one of my in laws and his common law partner eloped one year after us the day before our anniversary and held a small reception later on in November of 2018. It was nice and simple.
  • Leah
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Olivia! Yes it’s been a time trying to sort this out. I like both yours and Hanks ideas and agree that a reenactment of our vows or the ceremony would be overkill. I was thinking of having a videographer as well for the elopement, for the same reason you mentioned!! Thanks for your input, and good luck with all your wedding/elopement plans!
  • Olivia
    Curious August 2021 Ontario
    Olivia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are eloping in a few weeks and having our reception next year. Our plan right now for the reception next year is to still have speeches/toasts and first dance. I think we will frame it as more of an anniversary party, so we will probably play 'the newlywed game' and have some family members play along as other couples. We are having a videographer this year for the ceremony. We figured we could use the video of our elopement during the reception next year. We didn't like the idea of a vow renewal or re-enact either. Same reason for what Hank said, seems inauthentic to us. I think with Covid, people are very understanding and a lot of the traditional wedding 'rules' are kind of out the window. You do what you feel comfortable with and want to do.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Live stream the ceremony this Fall, postpone the party until Spring next year, Done!

Some people are planning to re-enact their ceremony or make it a vow renewal but personally it's not my thing. Feels inauthentic to me.

For the reception, you can still have the typical reception type segments that are very much part of a typical wedding like speeches and couple's dance. Religious readings are also appropriate. Performances are fine too if that's what you want. There's no right or wrong answer and you know your crowd best.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics