Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hank
Featured September 2021 Ontario

Eloping

Hank, on October 27, 2020 at 22:08 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 18

For those who originally planned a traditional wedding ceremony but are choosing to elope in the true sense of the word where it's just you + officiant with two witnesses, how much of the frills associated with a typical ceremony are you keeping vs axing? Will the bride still walk down an "aisle?" Do you so speeches or just go straight to signing papers?

18 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on November 3, 2020 at 13:45
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Couples eloping during this time can have their special day happen. The celebration is a choice of the venue allowing for some of the reception to take place or not depending on their basis. Its a tough call to make though its a memorable time for the couple itself. Reception celebrations are to wait until we know the provinces allow full restrictions to apply for guests to be present.

• Vanessa
    Devoted December 2021 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes! We are still having our ceremony and reception at our original venue, Ancaster Mill. It will be like a 1 year anniversary Smiley smile

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nice! Are you still going to your venue for the elopement for pictures sake?

• Vanessa
    Devoted December 2021 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So for us we are going with simple and easy. As we are still planning to keep our ceremony and reception next year, we are just doing something extra simple on December 4 this year.

The two of us, our wedding planner & photographer as our witnesses and the officiant. No family, no friends, no rings, no vows. Just us and signing the papers Smiley smile

Back in April we were supposed to get our engagement photos done however they were cancelled due to Covid so we asked if our photographer could use our engagement photo shoot as our micro wedding and he said yes so that was awesome!

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thats too bad for the couples but hopefully they will be able to stay in business so other couples can get married there in the future....
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The Fairmont in Toronto was offering a package for five people (the couple, two witnesses, and officiant) where they could get married in one of their fancy rooms and spend a day taking pictures around the hotel grounds, which was virtually empty since this was at the start of the pandemic. But then they cancelled a bunch of booked couples when they became the NHL hotel.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The wineries around here seem to be offering these as well with around 20 people.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ah yes, we definitely have a bunch of those in the Toronto area but the guest count is usually tiny, like 10-20 people. It's definitely a good alternative to the city hall chapel.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Plus they only usually cost between $2000-$3000.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No not at all. My venue even has one now. You can have up to the 50 people. They have an officiant, they decorate, you get a photographer for an hour 100 pictures you can print yourself and cocktail reception. Its only for a couple hours but they just look so nice. Since everyone for us are pretty local (within a hour and a half) it actually wouldn't be horrible. So pretty much bring yourselves dressed up, rings and your licence. Everything else is taken care of. I guess you could call it a pop up wedding too. Most of those you can have up to 20 people. Short but really much nicer than your average city hall type of thing.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You mean like ten people in a backyard kind of thing?

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't think that I would want to elope but the microweddings look amazing. I kind of wish I wasn't locked into doing the big party....
  • Arexy
    Devoted October 2020 Ontario
    Arexy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ugh I messaged them about it like 5 times 😅
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Awesome!

PS I think you can message tech support to fix your account issues with private messages.

• Arexy
    Arexy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey hank! I just got your message, and I’ve been experiencing a problem with my app where I can’t send other people a private message. I am not a religious official. I work for a municipality in the clerks department. I am a municipal clerk delegate.
  • Arexy
    Arexy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I was a little picky! You cannot officiate your own wedding hahaha. Most couples who elope still do vows, but I’ve hardly officiated an elopement where the ceremony was longer than 5-10 minutes.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow! I'd imagine you were very picky on who you picked to officiate your wedding. Just curious, are you allowed to officiate your own wedding if you had the proper witnesses? lol

So most of the eloping couples don't even do vows? Just the simple "I do" and sign papers?

• Arexy
    Arexy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m an officiant (surprise) and what I usually see from couples eloping is a short but sweet ceremony, two witnesses, signing, and then off they go to dinner or drinks. No speeches. No walking down the aisil.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics