Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kathryn
Beginner October 2021 Alberta

Elopement - to wear my wedding dress or find something more simple?

Kathryn, on March 24, 2021 at 12:02 Posted in Just married 0 8

Hello current and past brides!

I have an indecisive dilemma! We decided to go with the current restrictions for our May 15 wedding this year and keep it simple, small and to just our parents and siblings. With that being said, I dont know if i want to wear my wedding dress for that day. We plan to have a party + vow renewal this fall with our wedding party and intended guests... So I wanted to surprise my fiance (will be husband by that point) with the whole "thing" in the fall with my proper wedding dress, veil, make up, hair etc... some of my family thinks I should just wear it twice since it was $1800... but I just feel that for such a simple, cute special day where we legally get married... I dont know if i want to wear my wedding dress until we have the big day down the road because I dont feel like it will be as special if i wear it for our elopement and then the bigger day down the road here.

Did any brides choose to go with just a simple 'elopement' dress or just plan to wear your dress twice? Im having a hard time deciding what to do........

8 Comments

Latest activity by Sarah, on April 3, 2021 at 18:26
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am wearing a short white lace dress for our elopement with a veil, it’ll be kind of 1960s looking.
    For our big wedding I am wearing a normal wedding gown without the veil.
    I want the two occasions to be different so they can each be special in their own way. We want the big wedding to feel like the real deal, not just for us but for our guests too since we’re eloping just the two of us. Think about what is important to you and go with that feels right
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You can wear your wedding dress twice to make it as special to its fullest purpose. There isn't anything wrong given you can add an accessory to the Vow Renewal/Reception in the fall to add that touch. Your husband will be surprised and maybe shed a tear.
  • C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding had to be postponed just 10 days out in December and we chose to get "elopment" outfits for our little legal ceremony (yay for fast shipping!!!). We wanted to save our special wedding attire for our actual planned ceremony and reception - for the same reasons you said (for me anyway as I'd seen/picked out my husband's suit 🤣) and to just emphasize it was still special even though we were already married. We did get nervous about it not happening and started to regret that decision as the lockdown continued, but it was so special to have that for our "bigger" day two weeks ago!!! That being said, if you love your dress, why not wear it twice?? Go with your gut!!! It's such an expensive piece to only get to wear once!!!! I did not want to take my dress off and sat in it until 4:30 am 🤣. I don't regret our decision now ☺️☺️
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you want to wear your dress for the elopement and then again for the vow renewal, go for it! Who gets to wear their wedding dress twice?!

• Colleen
    Curious April 2022 Ontario
    Colleen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having a 10 person (including our photographer) wedding in May as well as a giant first year anniversary party in 2022. I’m wearing my dress twice but I think the big deciding factor for me was the photography part. I am so looking forward to the amazing memories of such a small wedding and all the cool photos that will result because of that. Like the idea of a picture of the 8 of us all dressed up in a very empty church seems so unique to me! Then in a year’s time I can wear it again and get all the party photos of me and all my family and friends.

I think ultimately you need to do what you’re the most comfortable with, but I definitely will be wearing mine twice.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Where are you eloping? That will determine your mood for the ceremony. If we're eloping, we're doing it at our venue so my fiancee will be wearing her dress.

• Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wore mine for our very tiny covid wedding ceremony (6 guests, photographer, officiant, and us) and plan to wear it for our reception at some point in the future.

To me, the most important and special part of my wedding was actually getting married to my husband. Sure the rest will be great, but if I could only choose one part of it it would be the ceremony because that's why we're doing this whole thing! It sounds like you might feel similarly given that you're choosing to proceed with your ceremony, even though you need to postpone your reception. So for that reason I think it makes sense to wear your dress twice.

But I also think it's just fun (and economical) to wear it twice. How many people get to say they had two full days to wear their wedding dress? I bet a lot of people would have loved the opportunity to do so and it's one of the silver linings us covid brides get to take advantage of.

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It all comes down to what you want and portability of the dress. I don’t know how large your gown is, but if you’d be fine going down to the court/city hall in it and you want to, go for it! When we were discussing potentially eloping, I wanted to wear my dress twice just because I really loved it and knew it wouldn’t be too cumbersome the day of.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics