Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Newbie May 2021 New Brunswick

Elope, now what?

Carly, on May 7, 2021 at 10:05 Posted in Just married 0 8
We had our wedding for late May. However due to an abundance of family drama, my husband and I ended up eloping just with our immediate family. I told just one uncle, however we are not sure what next. Please give me your advice and choose an option below!
1. Keep it a surprise until the day, do a vow renewal and surprise them with the elopement.
2. Send out a “we eloped” card but still invite them for a reception.
We just don’t want to hurt people.
Thanks.

8 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on May 27, 2021 at 13:25
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congratulations on your wedding! Option 2 would be best since I know we had to attend a family reception for in laws after they eloped and told the family except us though we couldn't travel. They did send the invite the phrase used We Eloped. Its great you two still went ahead with getting married overcoming the family occurrences. They will still have a good time to celebrate with you at the latter reception.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congratulations!

I think option 2 as well. People will be a lot more accepting if they know they're coming to a reception and not having it sprung on them. Plus covid is a great excuse! We had a tiny wedding and couldn't be happier, it wouldn't have been as easy to pull off without the pandemic as an "excuse".
  • Megan
    Frequent user July 2023 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had some friends actually do this pre-covid, they wanted to get married sooner rather than later due to immigration. They sent a cute card that said "we couldn't wait, can't wait to celebrate with you all soon". To my knowledge most people thought it was cute and didn't take it personally! However they did send the cards during covid so maybe people just assumed that was the reason.

• Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congratulations 🥳 to you and your husband Carly!!
    Yes, I agree with everyone else — option #2 is good to go. Also, yes, you can blame Covid. 😂 Sorry that you’re going through little family drama, but it’s all about you and your husband’s happiness. 🥂
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It really depends on what the family drama is but whatever decision you make, do it for your sake, not for others' feelings.
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with everyone else, send them a “we eloped!” Card so they have time to process and nobody acts poorly out of confusion/surprise. I don’t know the source of your family drama, but if you get pushback, blame covid! All our decisions we made to avoid family drama at our wedding was blamed on covid and people didn’t kick up because it was an outside factor.
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congrats!
    I would do #2. If you’re eventually telling people you eloped anyway I wouldn’t surprise them. I personally don’t think it’s something anyone should get upset over but some people probably will. The card will give people some time to get over it so they can properly enjoy your reception.
  • Brittany
    Devoted December 2022 Yucatán
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congratulations!!

I think option 2 is a great idea, it doesn't blind side people who were expecting a ceremony (like extended family) and everyone is informed that it is just a reception. If you want to do something a little more person for extended family on letting them know it happened that is up to you. But I think its best! I would probably do the exact same.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics