Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Chanel
Beginner July 2021 Ontario

Dyeing veil ivory at home (easy!!)

Chanel, on March 30, 2020 at 16:21 Posted in DIY 0 18
Hi everyone! I was in a panic to find the right veil for my gown since everything has closed due to Coronavirus, but I’m also aware the our wedding in July might be postponed because of this virus spreading so badly. I wanted to be ready if our wedding does happen on time, so I ordered a veil online and it turned out to be way more of a bright white than ivory. Looked up a couple ways to dye a veil and I have what is needed in my house already (two black tea bags and a large pot) and voila!! It turned out PERFECTLY! I totally recommend this to any other brides who are in the same boat.

18 Comments

Latest activity by Ambria, on February 6, 2024 at 21:33
  • Ambria
    Newbie March 2024 Arizona
    Ambria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    PLEAAAASE tell me there's a way to reverse this if I mess up. 😅😅 because here's my dress. Dyeing veil ivory at home (easy!!) 1
    The veil is obviously much too white. And to be fair I thought my dress was white as well. But. Yanno.

I definitely want to attempt this as my wedding is next month but I'm so nervous about ruining my veil.
  • Chanel
    Chanel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hey Melissa! So basically start out with a large pot of boiling hot water, add one regular (orange pekoe) tea bag, maybe two depending on how dark you need your veil to go. Steep the tea for a few minutes, remove the tea bags, allow it to cool a little, and then place your veil in the warm tea for as long as you need. Start out with a couple minutes, as it depends how dark you’re trying to go so do a minute or two if you only need a slight tint. Then rinse with cold water, hang to dry and see if it’s the right colour for you Smiley smile
    Let me know if you have any other questions!
    -Chanel
  • M
    Newbie October 2022 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi there,
    Maybe I don't see it, but can you provide a step by step process of how you dyed your veil? Smiley smile
    Melissa
  • Chanel
    Chanel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yaaaay!! That looks so beautiful and matches so well, great job! And no one needs to know unless you tell them lol
    You’re officially ready for your big day 🤩
  • Sami
    Newbie October 2022 Virginia
    Sami ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Dyeing veil ivory at home (easy!!) 2
    It worked!!! Omg I can relax and breathe now!! I did 2 bags, steeped for 5 minutes and I only did 1 minute for the soak. Took your advice and wanted to go slow on this. Looks like a perfect match to me! Tea dye for the win! Thank you so much!!
  • Sami
    Sami ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow soooo beautiful!!! Smiley love Thank you so much for your response and for the advice on the tea dye! I'm 100% going to move forward and do this. So encouraging to see how well it turned out in your pics! I told some family including my mom whose eyes got so big hearing I'm going to soak my custom veil in tea as if I'm digging a grave for it. I know it sounds bizarre but I really want my veil and dress to compliment each other so its worth it to me! Happy bride makes for a happy day! Also, happy anniversary!!!

Smiley smile

• Chanel
    Chanel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Dyeing veil ivory at home (easy!!) 3
    Tea dyeing for the win!
    Sending veil magic your way Sami ✨

• Chanel
    Chanel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Also I’ll attach a photo of the wedding! I chose to use the veil I did the tea dyeing, literally nobody knew I even did that other than my husband because I told him lol I also trimmed it down a little to make it lay the way I liked! DIY success is always even better than purchasing!! Ps today is our one year anniversary! So random that you messaged today of all days. 💗Dyeing veil ivory at home (easy!!) 4

• Chanel
    Chanel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Sami!
    Because your gown is so light I’d start with one or two tea bags in a large bowl of boiling water, let that steep for five minutes, remove the bags and put the veil for a couple minutes to start. Rinse with cool water and let it dry then take a look at it against your gown. I had used like four or five tea bags for mine and let it steep extra dark, then left my veil for about ten minutes. Got the perfect colour I wanted on the first try, but at least you can re-dip it if it’s too light. Better to go slowly due to the slight off white tone. Best of luck! Let me know how it goesSmiley smile
  • Sami
    Sami ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm looking to tea dye my veil as well! Do you recommend how long to steep it for, how many bags? My dress is a soft white so I don't want to risk making the veil too dark.

Dyeing veil ivory at home (easy!!) 5

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hopefully you wont have to cancel your wedding!!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Excellent tip for dying veils and it looks great to match your dress. Smart technique.
  • Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow that new shade looks perfect!!

• Chanel
    Chanel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s great to know there are places that actually match the advertised colour!! So wonderful that it matches yours perfectly☺️
    Never thought I’d resort to dyeing anything with tea let alone my wedding veil loll 😂 (it’s crazy how well it turned out though, you could never tell)
  • A
    Frequent user August 2020 Ontario
    Anna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I ordered the "ivory" (not light ivory) from Blanca Veils and it's a perfect match to my champagne dress. My dress is ivory over champagne.

• Chanel
    Chanel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Dyeing veil ivory at home (easy!!) 6

I don’t know why the after photo won’t load but it looks perfect with the gown! So lovely. I’ll keep trying to upload it. The dress is more of a champagne pink undertone but the bright white veil completely takes away from it, and it only took me like 45 minutes from start to finish to do this. I was going to buy another veil online but then decided why not try this since I’m going to be stuck with this veil anyways. Lol worth the gamble! Some places also mention that swatches may vary from actual dye batch you receive, I feel like this tea method is my saving grace to be able to modify the tone. (Ps the veil only looks darker in certain spots because it’s bunched)Dyeing veil ivory at home (easy!!) 7

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So glad it worked out!

My dress is a champagne tone and I'm worried if I buy online it won't match, but a few places I've looked at have swatches available.
  • Chanel
    Chanel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Dye before & after

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics