Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Feiya
Beginner May 2023 Ontario

Durham Area - Budget Venues

Feiya, on January 18, 2021 at 21:55 Posted in Ontario 1 21
Hello! H

Hope everyone is keeping safe!

My fiancé and I just got engaged in 2020! I was hoping to get some of your insights on affordable venue options in the Durham area. Anywhere between Scarborough to Bowmanville. We are hoping to have a open bar and meal and keep the budget to under $100 per person, including the venue rental.
Do you have any suggestion? We are hoping for something by the lake or a body of water if at all possible but open to downsizing that dream if other type of venues are more realistic.
I tried to look at the venue options here to filter my options but it doesn’t provide this choice.
Thank you all in advance!

21 Comments

Latest activity by Eric, on February 22, 2021 at 22:52
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Keep in mind the final total given with taxes and gratuity.
    Kempenfelt Conference Centre in Innisfil now closed since October 31 2017.
    Best search the internet to see what venues are around you as i know family there though o haven't been to any halls myself.
  • Feiya
    Feiya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you, Linda!
  • Feiya
    Feiya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Vinod, where was your venue? Or do you have recommendations on affordable venue?
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We paid around 11.5K
  • Feiya
    Feiya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Do you have any suggestions on the price point you paid?
  • L
    Frequent user April 2021 Ontario
    Linda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The guild Inn Estate is in Scarborough. Kingston Rd and guildwood. You can find their page on wedding wire.
  • Feiya
    Feiya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Elly,
    Thank you for the suggestion. I couldn’t open the link but will message them.

Thanks!
  • Feiya
    Feiya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Linda,

Can you tell me where your venue was? Thanks!
  • Elly
    Beginner October 2022 Ontario
    Elly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'd check out Ajax Convention Centre! They're pretty reasonable and they have pretty good food and open bar is included for as low as $99 incl HST(this is a Sunday price though and this is 2021 pricing not 2023). Here's the link to their 2021 wedding package if you wanted to take a look. ACC Wedding Package

• L
    Frequent user April 2021 Ontario
    Linda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My venue isn't in Durham but I'm only paying 110$ per person. Food, alcohol, venue are all included. We did upgrade our bar package though. Our day is a Friday and it's the last day for off season wedding days. We got 20$ off because if the Friday and a discount because of it being off season. Maybe see if a venue has the same kinda deals.
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You’ll have to look it up and it’s slightly out of Durham, but The Briars was about $100 for food and open bar for winter weddings. Again you’ll have to check their website or email them
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

$100 is not sufficient for a venue to feed your guests as they may provide food and alcohol. We paid $115 per person whereas Saturday was $125 price range.

Your better off choosing 3 top venues to pick from your choices of prices and services suiting your budget. I had to look out for what we could afford and guest count.

• Jenn
    Devoted August 2025 Ontario
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey there!

Check out Herongate Barn Dinner Theatre (North Pickering). For 2020, I was quoted $75/person for a Saturday wedding, for 150ppl. It included their country buffet (4 course meal -­ soup, large salad bar, main course, dessert, coffee, and tea), and $39/person for open bar (5 hrs with wine on tables)

Others that I found which could possibly fit in and around your budget (or did when I got pricing), depending on day/time of year, are:

Pathways on Pleasure Valley (Uxbridge)
    Trillium Trails (Oshawa)
    Columbus Event Centre (East Scarborough)
    Golden Beach Resort (Peterborough)
    Also check out the Whitby Yacht Club, The Jubilee, etc.

As Hank mentioned, finding everything you want in a venue, for 13K inclusive, is not likely, but if you have some wiggle room, or can save $$ elsewhere (decor, etc)., you can get pretty close.

Hope this helps!

• Feiya
    Feiya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Britney, yes please. This sounds great! Thank you so much. Please PM me or if it’s easier my email is *****@*******.***.

Thanks so much again!
  • Brittany
    Beginner June 2022 Ontario
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey,

Not sure if you are willing to go past Bowmanville to Port hope, it would be another 20 min drive.

We are using Penryn Park on the Port hope golf course, its stunning we fell in love right away and knew it was my venue. Its a water front venue, tented and has an old historic mansion. You can get married under their willow tree or at a gazebo facing the water.

With everything going on right now, the management team has been so wonderful working with their customers. With the venues we looked at they were the best price, now the pricing could of changed as our quote was from 2019.

Their wedding season opens mothers day, they have a site rental fee (this includes the ceremony, most places we looked at the cost was extra), they have a five hour host bar, day of coordinator, the tips and then they have three preferred catering which we picked the cheaper one (had a tasting pre-covid and highly recommend her food).

If you would like I can send you a private message with average price we were quoted.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You might get closer to your price if you are willing to move the date to off season but I'm not sure what prices in your area are.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Also, you're going to find it very difficult to find a banquet hall on a Saturday night during wedding season for only $13K total spend. I can't imagine any space would give up such a lucrative night without a minimum of $20K spending. You're probably better off exploring other options like restaurants, or switch to a daytime event like a wedding brunch/lunch.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's negligible because $100 all in per person is just ridiculously cheap even by today's standards, let alone any pricing post-covid. Once you take out taxes and gratuity, your per person budget is roughly $75. An open bar is typically $40 + tax and gratuity. That leaves you with <$35 per person for a meal because there's usually a room rental fee of some kind. You might be able to get a chicken entree for that but no cocktail hour, no appetizer, and dessert course.

At your budget, I would explore options without an open bar.

• Feiya
    Feiya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We are still flexible on dates/year. Do you think 2022 will be a better bet on the price?
  • Feiya
    Feiya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    About 130 guests!
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

How many people? Even if you find something within your price per head, venues might have a minimum total spend. And $100 per person all in with an open bar will be very hard to find in the GTA, especially in 2023 when all the venues jack up the price after a bad two years and inflation.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics