Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Cynthia
Curious August 2018 Ontario

Dress help!

Cynthia, on October 24, 2017 at 10:45 Posted in Ontario 0 12

Hello ladies,

I'm getting married August 25, 2018 and I still don't have a dress. I know it takes a while for the dress to come in once it's ordered and will most likely have to be altered a bit. The problem is I still haven't found a dress I like, I am going to try on this one dress that I completely fell in love with in picture but I'm not sure how I will feel about it once I have it on.

How long did it take for you to find your dress and when are you excepting it to arrive? I know I'm pushing it but I honestly just can't decide. Realistically when should I absolutely have to order my dress to avoid a rush fee?

12 Comments

Latest activity by Fewster, on February 13, 2018 at 13:40
  • Fewster
    Beginner July 2020 Ontario
    Fewster ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    As a bridal consultant at a bridal store in St Catharines Ontario I know that most dresses are coming in from anywhere to beginning of June to Mid July there's plenty of off the rack options to ease your stress I would order right now if you want to get your gown if not you're really risking it even at this point it's a tad scary.
  • Janine
    Curious June 2018 Ontario
    Janine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I started my search in February 2018 before we even confirmed our wedding date (was intending August but got moved up to June), I finally decided on a dress and put my deposit down at the end of October 2018. I am ordering from Sophie's Gown Shoppe in Windsor and they told me the dress I am ordering comes quite quickly and do not have to be sized and ordered until next month (December 2018). I double checked around online before taking their word for it, dress usually comes in 12-16 weeks if my size is not on hand. I think 8-6 months depending on the dress is the safe zone for no rush fees.

• Cynthia
    Cynthia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow that is really fast! I heard a lot of stories that dresses can take up to 6 months to come in and if you wait too long they charge you for a rush delivery. Bought my dress Oct 28 and I got a call from the store that it's suppose to be here by mid December!? that's not even 2 months! I'm happy that I didn't stress out too much about it or else I might of settled for a dress that I didn't even love that much. This dress is literally THE ONE and I am so happy with it.

• Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Glad you found your dress. With me I fell in love with a specific dress and I phoned for over a month to different bridal salons from Winnipeg, MB all the way down to Minneapolis, MN and no one had it or could tell me the price but they could order it in for me if I knew my size. So I booked an appointment with David's Bridal as there was a promotion at a Wedding Show and went online looking at stock they may have and went for a dress fitting. I found THE dress the 1st appointment on the 6th try with my mom, daughter, grandmother and maid of honour present. I made them all cry. And that was on October 15th which I bought and paid for my dress. I received a call today November 3rd my dress is in and needs to be picked up in 7 days or they can ship it out for 15.00. They said it could take a few months to come in. I was shocked at how fast that happened. I go on Thursday to try it on again and then alterations start. That was quick and I'm not getting married until August 4th next year. Smiley smile

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Congrats! Big thing off the list.

• Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It depends if the dress is in stock or has to be made. But your bridal salon will be able to give you a timeline when you find the one. But definitely keep looking for that perfect dress. Good luck !!

• Cynthia
    Cynthia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

As soon as I put it on I loved it! Said yes to it and will have it by December!! Eeeek I'm so excited!!

• Katherine
    Curious August 2017 Ontario
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ordering the dress in isn't your only option. I found mine at a blowout sale at Amanda Lina Sposa in Vaughan and took the dress home that day and got it altered closer to the wedding. There's plenty of stores where you can go try dresses on and take it home that day if you decide. Hope this helps.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I got married September 2017 and I ordered my dress in January 2017. The dress was in store by June 2017. I think you have enough time right now that you do not have to start really panicking or stressing. I'm sure you'll find the right one soon! Good luck this weekend!

• Sydney
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Sydney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're getting married the same day!

I got lucky and found my dress at the first store we went to. There's still lots of time, but I would start making appointments at a bunch of different places - you can always cancel them if you find your dress! I was told that my dress wouldn't come into the store for about 9 months, but that could also change if they don't have to order different sizes

• Cynthia
    Cynthia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Lynnie,

I've tried on a couple of dresses but none that I loved and that was back in July. I think it was because I had that one dress in mind and nothing could come close to it but of course, no store in my area carried it. Luckily I found a boutique about 3 hours away that has it in stock and going to try it on this weekend, crossing my fingers that I love it as much on me as in the pictures! If so, I am locking that baby down and not have to stress about running out of time.

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Cynthia! Have you been trying dresses on and not liking anything? Or having a hard time finding exactly the dress you want? Or are you still browsing online?

I'd definitely recommend booking some appointments and trying dresses on in person!! Even if you don't find "the dress", those appointments are really helpful for narrowing down what you do like and identifying what you don't!

You still have time but I would try to order your dress by the end of this year! You'll want to order your dress at least 8-9 months before your wedding date so there's enough time for the order to come in and for you to get alterations done!

Why You Should Shop For Your Wedding Dress Early

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics