Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kayla
Newbie October 2021 Ontario

Do i need appetizers?

Kayla, on March 12, 2020 at 13:41 Posted in Wedding reception 0 9

We are having our ceremony at 4:00 (same location as the reception) which will lead right into cocktail hour. Cocktail hour will be 5:00-6:00, while some family members join us for photos. We expect everyone will be seated and dinner served by 6:30. So, do I need to serve appetizers during the cocktail hour? If so, do they have to be hot?

9 Comments

Latest activity by Catherine, on March 18, 2020 at 09:41
  • C
    Curious October 2021 Ontario
    Catherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Like Hank? Said some people have issues with liquor and empty stomachs.
    I'd suggest cold and a stationary table to save on costs. It doesn't have to be much a veggie tray with a meat and cheese tray too can do the trick. your caterer can suggest the most cost effective thing ( even compare at the different caterers you get quotes from to get the best idea of cost and ideas)
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As many have stated, usually it comes with a meal package and if that's the case, definitely go for it. If you're on a budget, my recommendation is to limit the appetizers instead of eliminating them altogether. The reason is some people have trouble with alcohol unless they have some food.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Great planning on time for pictures and cocktail hour to have guests enjoy their time mingling and drinking. The package the venue offered can include appetizers based on what you chose. The extra cost is worthwhile if you can afford to add into your food cost based on the guest list. The dinner otherwise is enough to wait and eat when they serve to your guests at the time given. Budget yourselves to fit the best choices if possible or just leave it as it is.
  • K
    Beginner August 2020 New Brunswick
    Karly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We plan on having the same timeline as you and won’t be serving appetizers. The amount of extra cost to do that just isn’t worth it for us. Our guests are all family or people who know each other, the bar will be serving, and there will be lawn games so I’m hopeful they can manage for one hour 😂
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have the same timeline roughly. 4:30pm ceremony. 5-6pm cocktail hour. Then dinner starts at 6:30pm. We are doing passed hors d'oeuvres, because it sounded fun and they are delicious! I am a little concerned that we have WAY to much food (hors d'oeuvres, 4 course dinner and late night snack all from 5:00pm-10:30pm) however its part of our venue package so. I say do what you want! Even just a charcuterie board would be nice. I think its just nice to have snacks around.

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You don’t have to if you don’t want to but having food around is always nice/keeps people busy. You could do cold snacks so they can be prepped in advance. Otherwise it’s really up to you!
  • Karina
    Curious May 2021 Alberta
    Karina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Its honestly up to you! I don't think we will because folks will be arriving right before dinner anyways (cocktail hour). In between the ceremony and cocktail hour is when they can go grab a snack!

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If dinner is that close to the reception You should be fine. If I were a guest a 4 pm wedding would make me think the meal was later so I would snack before just in case.

If you do have apps something light and cold would be fine. A cheese plate, some charcuterie.
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's not a must have to have apps or hors d'oeuvres during cocktail hour and no they don't need to be hot either if you do decide to have them. With our caterer the passed hors d'oeuvres just came with the package we chose so that's really the only reason why we're having them.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics