Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Newbie August 2017 Ontario

Do i have to invite them if i implied i will?

Anna, on June 6, 2017 at 23:39 Posted in Before the wedding 0 4

I did not send save-the-dates to anyone. I work in a small office where most people I've known for over a year. I was talking to my coworkers about my wedding and mentioned I'll invite them all. Unfortunately, I wasn't being careful (obviously, big regrets now) and one of the newer employees (only working for about 4 months and not directly with me) overheard and assumed she will be invited as well. I barely know her, she is not in my age group, and most other co-workers find her annoying. I never directly told her I'll invite her.

Last week, she asked me when the wedding is. She told me she was very happy that it's on a certain day because otherwise she would have been out of town. I just smiled along and didn't know what to say.

Would you say I should invite this woman?

4 Comments

Latest activity by Laura, on June 8, 2017 at 14:15
  • Laura
    Super September 2017 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say that it is your wedding and you can invite who you like but I would also tell her that she isn't invited next time it comes up. At some point she is going to ask you where her invitation is.

• B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hahaha that is pretty awkward! I honestly would invite her since she seems psyched about your wedding, I love anyone who's supportive of my marriage, I don't care if everyone else would find them annoying lol. But if you really don't want to have her there then I would do what Erin said and just emphasize that you're on a budget. Say you were just joking and you can't actually afford to invite every single person in the company.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You do not have to invite her but seeing as you didn't really say no in the first place it might be difficult to avoid hurt feelings, especially if everyone else is invited from your work. You may want to speak with her privately and let her know that she is not invited. I would suggest having very solid arguments ready. If you grace a small venue or a limited budget I would emphasize these reasons and also extend your regrets.
  • Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would have said no right up to the last paragraph... It sucks disappointing people but you have kind of lead her on by not saying something when she asked about it... We are only inviting one of his coworkers and none of mine... Even though we have known these people 10+ years we don't socialize outside of work (except for the one invited).... If you have a cut off rule it makes it easier to say no to people.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics