Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Faith
Devoted October 2017 Ontario

dj friend totally under performance

Faith, on October 24, 2017 at 20:18 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 12
We are now married but a friend of ours was the DJ for our wedding and he totally botched some of our ceremony and most of our reception till his assistant, who was 4 hours late showed up and did an amazing job for the last one and a half. We are trying to be Christan about it but it was a really big sour spot for us. This said friend had asked before hand for us to pay him what we thought would be good. He said it was his gift to us. But he turned out to be an incredibly huge stress and disappointment. There were a ton of people who thought everything was beautiful but we had expectations that were severely under met.
I don't know where to go from here. We expressed our dissatisfaction to him at least two times during the reception and after he still asked if we could give him some compensation for his travels. He bought a train ticket here which was like $35 and his assistant still expecting said friend to pay him for travels of 2 hours here and 2 hours back.
Any ideas where to go from here?

12 Comments

Latest activity by Faith, on December 21, 2017 at 11:02
  • Faith
    Faith ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ya I ended up just paying him the travel and have been able to let it go. Not sure we'll ever be friends again but ya
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wouldn't pay his travel expenses or his assistant. Was it part if the cobtract? All vendors are responsible for their travel and anything else. I had an issue the day before about a payment with my dj. At the end of the day, he was fantastic and we put our differences aside.
  • Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's pretty good. We have extra stress because we're renovating the house and I haven't been able to move a lot of my things in yet. I just have to be patient. Hoping I'll be settled in 6 months or so.

• B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I was super anxious at first but every month the marriage actually gets better!! How's married life for you??!
  • Faith
    Faith ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We told him. I'll give him travel pay. But he didn't do anything really until his assistant (who was really the professional one) showed up at 3:30 when it started at 11am. But ya. I'll just remember the other things. My dad has the video recording which I feel will make me see it differently.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wouldn't dwell on it too much. As most people have said, you probably won't remember in a few years and everyone else didn't really notice anything was wrong. I think I would just sit him down and lay out what you think the issues are so that he doesn't do it again.

• Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well said, Bethany. How's married life, anyway?

• B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree with Sonja. You won't remember details like that unless you make yourself. I had a friend who's florist forgot to make her bouquet so she walked down the aisle with feathers. Imperfect stuff happens. You're married to the man you wanted to marry and the rest is minor. Sorry to hear your DJ caused you stress tho. Vendors are suppose to take away the stress!
  • Ashleigh
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Ashleigh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Sorry to hear this didn't go well. I would pay him for his travel expense or an hourly rate (even if it's minimum wage). He was better than nothing, right? Maybe he was nervous, maybe he thought he was killin' it, there could be many factors here. He showed up, he committed to the service. You owe him some sort of payment.
  • Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think I would just pay for the travel expenses but not the service if you were unhappy. It must have been a huge disappointment, but in all honesty, in a few years you won't even remember that it was so bad. New experiences will give you new memories. Try to remember all the positives about your special day.

• Faith
    Faith ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks. I think we may not pay him at all. It was really a horrible DJ service. Wish it hadn't gone that way but as you said lesson learned. Thanks for the input
  • Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Is the friendship worth keeping or are you ok with burning that bridge? If the former, I’d say pay the travel as requested and chalk it up to lesson learned; don’t mix business with pleasure. If the latter, then pay him what you feel is fair for the level of service provided.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics