Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Felicia
Curious May 2022 Alberta

diy wine?

Felicia, on February 27, 2021 at 11:56 Posted in Alberta 0 20

Hello brides and grooms! Quick question for those who live in Calgary, AB! We are providing all the liquor for the wedding, but we are making homemade wine as well - based on the liquor license i've seen we're not able to "sell" (toonie bar) our own wine. Any thoughts and advice?! Thank you!

20 Comments

Latest activity by Rayanne, on March 2, 2021 at 09:10
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm not sure about in Alberta but I know in Ontario you were not even allowed to have alcohol (without the number they put on that matched your number on your licence) in the building. We had an alcohol agent come to a stag and doe we were throwing and made us put all alcohol in a vehicle and bring it to the car of the individual who won. I would be very careful even opening the wine at your reception it is a heavy fine here anyway...
  • Ebony
    Newbie August 2023 Alberta
    Ebony ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you have a liquor license, you’re good to sell alcohol with the exception of the homemade wine. Serve it at the table or use it as a favor instead.
  • L
    Curious August 2021 Alberta
    Lindsay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not to be a downer, but the special event liquor license for private functions does not allow homemade wines at all, to be served or sold, although you don’t need a license if it’s held at a private residence. Maybe just double check that you can even serve it for free as table wine, would hate for you to get in trouble over something so silly!
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My friend had a tag that said for everyone to save the wine and have a toast with them on their first anniversary wherever you may be....
  • Felicia
    Curious May 2022 Alberta
    Felicia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Haha or drink!
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is a really good idea since they can get around the no serving/selling homemade liquor rule. I would love to receive wine as a wedding favour!
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You could also use your homemade wine as your favour if that is something you wanted. (Not everyone does a favour these days). My friend had small bottles (they held approximately 1 and a half glasses of wine each) one white and one red put in a mesh bag for each guest to take home.
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I was just asking about the profit thing for personal reference. Don't want to accidentally do something illegal at my wedding
  • Liberty
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you. I didn't see that and wanted to make sure for my upcoming wedding as I know a few people who have said they made money off the bar at their wedding!
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    If you look up the SEL private resale policy, it states:
    "A Private Resale licence is not intended to be used to provide jobs or to profit any person or business. Proceeds must be used for the common benefit of a legitimate organization, or donated to a recognized charity of the licensee’s choice."
  • Christiana
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well if homemade alcohol can't even be served then this entire thing is a moot point.

And Felicia who asked the question is the one who said they couldn't sell the liquor. Maybe you can link her to the page you're looking at so she doesn't get too deep into wine making if it's not going to be allowed.

• Liberty
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Can you please show where it says you cannot profit? I see where it says you can't serve homemade alcohol. But I cant find anything on AGLC website stating anything about making a profit.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Pretty sure that's a special occasion permit (called a Special Event License in Alberta) and not an actual liquor license where you're operating a bar as a business. But anyway, my point still stands - OP can only serve alcohol acquired through the license and they cannot profit from the sale of alcohol.

• Liberty
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    In Alberta, a lot of venues don't have a liquor license and it's up to the event holder to get a license through AGLC.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Do you mean a special occasion permit? You can't bring a liquor license to a venue. Only a registered business operating a bar can have a liquor license.

If you are bringing a SOP, then you need to follow the rules. Also, most SOPs don't allow the permit holder to profit off alcohol. In my experience, most homemade wine costs less than $5 a bottle and if you're selling it for $2 a glass, you're not just cutting costs, you're making money.

Aside from the legality of the situation, I would be put off as a guest if I'm being charged $2 for a glass of homemade wine instead of something from a legit vineyard. I also come from a culture where cash bars are frowned upon so that's just me. But knowing that you're profiting while getting gifts on top would sit uneasy for some. Just my two cents.

• Christiana
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think you're just going to have to make it free all night in that case. If it's illegal to sell homemade liquor then there's not really anything you can do to get around it.

• Felicia
    Curious May 2022 Alberta
    Felicia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes we are providing everything including the liquor license
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If your venue has their own liquor license, all alcohol must go through them. If you have any particular requests, you have to ask them to acquire it. And pretty sure unless they have a distillery license, most establishments cannot serve alcohol not acquired through the liquor board. It's a liability thing because their servers will be responsible should any of your homemade stuff be problematic.

• Felicia
    Curious May 2022 Alberta
    Felicia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh yes we’re going to have table wine, but for after dinner service we want to continue serving the homemade wine - it cuts our costs by like 90% to serve our homemade wine
  • Christiana
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Maybe the wine can be free and just left on the tables? I feel like it's pretty standard to have free table wine at cash/toonie bars.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics