Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ashleigh
Devoted August 2018 Ontario

Diy wedding music- yay or nay

Ashleigh, on June 16, 2017 at 10:24 Posted in DIY 0 25
We are hosting an evening wedding next summer. Since we are paying for everything ourselves, we are being mindful that we are infact not a prince or princess on our wedding day. Haha. It is a formal event, but non traditional. We were thinking about renting sound equipment and making our own playlist and just letting it play. We would delegate someone to kind of pop by and change songs based on the energy level of the crowd. We dont really like typical wedding music, or top 40 hits. We like rock music, indie stuff and and those 90's sing-a-long rock/dance anthems, as do our friends. Our first dance is to an acoustic version of foo fighters, everlong. So has anyone attended a wedding that didn't have a big fancy DJ? Curious of your thoughts on this, fellow bride's! XO

25 Comments

Latest activity by BreddGar, on January 24, 2022 at 02:19
  • Tiffany
    Devoted October 2017 Ontario
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I went to a wedding where they played the music from their ipod/phone - it worked out great at the beginning - but later on once people were drinking and up dancing - the song never played through as there would be someone that wanted something else and would go and change the song part way through.

• Alanah
    Frequent user July 2018 British Columbia
    Alanah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have been to two weddings and neither had a professional DJ. I was planning on doing the music ourselves but I figured it would much more convenient to just hire a DJ (we found one that would cover everything for 600). I think it's a great way to save money, though it will require a lot of time to create a playlist for the whole event. I think creating your own playlist will also make your wedding more personal!
  • Ashleigh
    Ashleigh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    UPDATE: Thank you for your replies. I read over each and every one of them. I wish there was a "like" button!!! I hope other brides will find this thread useful. We were given a reasonable quote from a DJ (Pump it Entertainment) and he also offered to emcee/MC - so we ended up booking with him. We've been to many events that he has DJ'd. I just want that day to be as stress free as possible Smiley laugh
  • Kourtney
    Newbie June 2018 Nova Scotia
    Kourtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've never been to a wedding with out a DJ but I've only been to two. I saw on Pinterest if you request songs on your invitations from your guest you could download all those songs and your own playlist and have it on shuffle I'm sure that would work just fine and everyone hears what they like Smiley smile
  • Lisa
    Beginner July 2018 British Columbia
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Im using Spotify and have multiple playlists

Pre-Ceremony Instrumental

Cocktail Hour

Dance Party

Dinner Jazz

Im using the free version, and listening with the annoying half hour interruptions for now. We'll upgrade closer to the date and hopefully it all goes to plan!

• Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey, any way to save money is right up my alley! Sure, make your own playlist. That way the music will reflect your taste. We've decided to make it really simple; classical guitarist and wedding singer for the ceremony, then guitarist for cocktail hour and dinner. That's it. We're an older couple and our wedding is on a Sunday. It won't be a late night with dancing and drinking since a lot of our guests will have to work the next day.

• Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have professional speakers and the set up to dIY music. We are having a friend man the music and purchasing some kind of lights off of ebay or amazon to go with it. We will be sticking in some stuff to fill everyone's cup.

• Erin
    Expert September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have been to one wedding where they did DIY music, and it worked out ok. Something I would suggest is even though you dont like the Top 40s or typical wedding music, I would still have some of those songs throughout the playlist, so the guests who do enjoy that type of music will have something to dance to. Also, dont forget that you are going to need someone to be in charge of playing your first dance song, any parent dance songs, as well as turning down music during speeches, etc. The wedding I went to was a bit stressful for the bride and groom as the designated "DJ" was too busy talking to other guests and eating dinner to make sure the music was on track, and there were a few times when the music stopped or the wrong song came on and everyone noticed. Just make sure you have a responsible person manning the music. Also, sometimes a DJ is worth the extra cash simply due to the fact that they are professionals and can read a crowd.

• Laura
    Super September 2017 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have seen a DIY music set up go really well and I have heard a few stories where it has gone awry. We are getting a DJ because I just don't want to deal with the technology if things go wrong. We are paying for our wedding ourselves but it was somewhere I wanted to allocate part of the budget because not worrying about it was important to me. I think if you are super organized before hand it will go smoothly and you will have a great memory to keep!

• Stephanie
    Beginner September 2018 British Columbia
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have recently been to a wedding where they used a DIY playlist- it worked pretty well, but I think they picked the wrong kind of music for people to dance too. They kept trying to encourage people to come up and dance but although they picked some of their favourite songs, it felt like many people didn't know a lot of the songs, and I personally felt like I didn't know enough of the songs to really get into dancing (although I did try, it was a close family wedding and no one was on the dance floor so I felt bad!).

I do still plan on doing my own DIY music for my own wedding (we just can't afford a DJ) but my MOH suggested getting the bridal party together (or a group of friends if your bridal party is small) before the wedding to help put together a playlist. That way you can try to include some music that everyone likes as well as your own favourite songs!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our friends got married last October and did their own music. It was great!! No problems with flow or anything like that. We are lucky enough to have been given a copy of their 9 hour playlist which we have customized to our own likes. We will have more than enough music to please everyone as we have eclectic tastes. We will also have separate playlists for the arrival of guests, processional etc. It does take a bit of time to set up but it is really fun!

• Kate
    Expert July 2017 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We went with a playlist we made on Spotify and are using a Bose blue tooth wifi speaker for our music. It's the music you like. I asked People what they wanted to hear and added it to my playlist. My Minister is loaning me her Extra P.A system to use as well. way cheaper than hiring a DJ.

• Ashleigh
    Ashleigh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Awhhh..How sweet that you can re-live some of those moments! Smiley heart The gears are definitely turning. I like the idea of multiple playlists.
  • Ashleigh
    Ashleigh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is what I like to hear! Smiley xd Thanks for the reply! We are on the fence.
  • Kirsten
    Ontario
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My sisters wedding was set to a playlist and it went perfectly well! A friend changed songs to some requests a few times. We are going to do the same 😊
  • Natalie
    Curious June 2017 Quebec
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did our own playlist instead of hiring a DJ. We both had Google Play accounts and made the playlist and edited the order of the songs to allow a good flow.

We also separated our playlists according to the time of the day. So 1 list for the ceremony, another for during the reception and another for our first dance along with the dance music Smiley smile

The really nice part is that we get to re-listen to our playlists and re-live that wonderful day Smiley smile

• Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I definitely think it's a know your crowd kind of decision!
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My Fiances brother did his own music for their wedding and it was awesome. Best music ive ever had at a wedding. They used Rdio (same thing as spotify) and created a playlist. They picked all the songs and the order or songs ahead of time to avoid any weird transitions and to appeal to all ages throughout the night. It was a it of prep leading up to the wedding but it was totally worth it.
  • Ashleigh
    Ashleigh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We may end up getting a DJ after reading the comments Smiley sad Just wanted to get some feedback from you ladies and the feedback speaks for itself lol. Appreciate your reply.
  • Ashleigh
    Ashleigh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks for the reply! You can set-up songs to sort of overlap by 5-10 seconds to avoid those awkward pauses. We may end up getting a DJ though Smiley sad Just wanted to get some feedback from you ladies and the feedback speaks for itself, lol. Appreciate your reply.
  • Ashleigh
    Ashleigh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks for the reply! We've got a couple of people in mind that we may ask to MC/Announce a few things, I feel like we can manage the playlist but we are still figuring things out. Thx for the input, appreciate it! Totally know what you mean about drunk people handling music - lol.
  • Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've been to a wedding where they made their own playlists and it was awesome. It was a smaller wedding (private ceremony, cocktail reception as in no main meal just apps and late night poutine bar) . I think it worked because there wasn't the formality of a lot of things going on.
    I thought about it for a few minutes but I like how DJs manage the flow of the dance floor they usually know how to get people dancing and keep the night moving. They also announce a lot of things that you'd have to find someone else to do. Also, when my friends get drunk they tend to fight over the iPod and I didn't want to deal with that LOL
    It just depends on your crowd and what you want your night to look like.
  • Kate
    Expert July 2017 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing a DIY wedding. 90% of my decoration were made by me. Food is food trays from a local store, P.A system was loaned to us and Music will be on Spotify . We saved on our Hall which is 50$ and saved on Booze as we are not having any. many ways to save when it comes to Weddings. The Dollar store is a Brides best Friend.

• Laura
    Frequent user October 2017 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I went to a wedding that also had music played off of a laptop and it was a lot of repeated songs. Not a lot of people danced and the energy was a little off due to no one really there, MC wise, to entice the people at the wedding to get up and have fun. On the flip side, I think that this can still be accomplished well if you make tons of different music playlists that can be chosen from throughout the night. If you have a friend/family member that are great at talking in front of crowds you could persuade them to help out throughout the night to get people moving.

• Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have attended a wedding where they did their own music. They played it off of a laptop and they didn't really have anyone paying attention to it and so the flow of the night was off. Not a lot of people were dancing, the same songs played over and over again, there were awkward pauses in between. I didn't really care for it. I would definitely have someone sort of assigned to it and make sure the playlist is big enough, this way songs aren't repeating itself and the flow is better!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics