Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Charlotte
Frequent user July 2021 Ontario

diy wedding favours

Charlotte, on May 31, 2020 at 18:23 Posted in DIY 0 11
Hi everyone!

We are on the fence about wedding favours due to cost and waste. What unique, useful and inexpensive do you guys have? DIY ideas?

Has anyone done DIY wood coasters? What did you use to write on them? How did they turn out? Did people seem to take them and continue to use them?
Thanks guys 😊

11 Comments

Latest activity by Charlotte, on June 2, 2020 at 14:02
  • Charlotte
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Charlotte ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks everyone for the great ideas! A deck of playing cards we had discussed before, I think I’ll look into that more!
  • Haylee
    Frequent user July 2020 Ontario
    Haylee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I found some cute silver favour boxes with ribbon at Dollarama and will be putting a few Lindor chocolates in each box with a thank you tag. Lindor is my favourite, so it's a nice personal touch. Plus, just about everyone loves chocolate. Smiley shame

• Karley
    Curious September 2020 Nova Scotia
    Karley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're going to be doing mini hand sanitizer bottles with our wedding label on them for our few guests attending in-person.

For our guests attending virtually I'm going to be sending "plantable heart flowers"

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

What about getting some tea leaves and putting them in a little jar and write a tag saying thank you with your date? or maybe matches or playing cards? you can also do little herseys chocolates

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're skipping favors for all the reasons others mentioned above.

At one point I found a custom cookie stamp online so you can stamp your name, date, or hashtag onto sugar cookies for your guests! It was probably the most unique yet affordable favor I've seen. The stamp was $20, and the cost of making cookies would mainly be time and ingredients.
  • Vanessa
    Devoted December 2021 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So i've never seen wood coasters, only acrylic ones but I have seen the wood ones on etsy and they look very cute.

I attended a wedding where their thank you/wedding favors were pretty unique for sure. They purchased a ton of different candy and chocolates and had a snack bar at the end of the night. They purchased little reusable bags for their guests to fill them up with whatever they wanted. The bags had words like "thank you and their wedding date" on them but that's totally optional. It was inexpensive and everything that was left over, they took home to eat! We still use the reusable bag now for produce.

• K
    Devoted August 2021 Nova Scotia
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re foregoing traditional favours for the reasons you’ve mentioned (expense and waste). We do have a photobooth which I guess counts! Like others, I would also recommend something edible or something fun and interactive, like a photobooth.

The coasters you’ve described sound super cute in theory, but, personally speaking, I’m not sure I’d use one. For one, I definitely fall into the category of people who get too caught up in the party and forget about favours altogether! If I did remember it, Id probably tuck it away somewhere. I just can’t picture myself decorating my home with something bearing a couple’s name, wedding date, wedding hashtag, etc. But that’s just me! Others may very well put it to use.
  • A-W
    Frequent user May 2021 Ontario
    A-W ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We decided to do chocolates since I felt favors would end up in the trash but my FH wanted something. As cute as something useful is I have only ever kept and used one wedding favor and it is a white hand towel with my friends wedding date on it.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you're on the fence about favours but feel compelled to give them, I would go the food route, something that can be consumed right then and there, as they're less likely to be left behind and any that are left can be easily consumed by yourself or friends. You could get Smarties all in one colour (whichever one matches your wedding colours), you could get chocolates at factory sales, bake your own cookies that you wrap, etc.

I agree with you about waste because to be honest, more than half of the favours I've been given at weddings end up in the trash. Even "useful" things end up never being touched and collecting dust because it doesn't go with the stuff in our living space. The worst are plant-based trinkets or ornaments as they will eventually rot.

By the way, do you have a photo booth at your wedding? If you do, I would totally count that as your wedding favour and check that off your list.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I are deciding not to have any favors just to save on cost and since a lot of people forget to take them home at the end of the night.

• Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think chocolates/ cookies are a good idea as people can munch on it at the wedding.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics