Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Frances
Beginner February 2022 Ontario

diy - Was it stressful or worth it?

Frances, on November 6, 2017 at 01:20 Posted in DIY 0 6

Hello my lovely fellow WeddingWire users! This is my first post, and I am very new to the WW site. I am posting this to find out how you lovely brides (and grooms) found making your own centrepieces and decor. Did you find it really helped with costs and saved you some money instead of renting decorations and having a decorator come in and handle it? Or did you find it super stressful and rather of have spent the moola on someone doing it for you?

Looking forward to your feedback!

Xo

6 Comments

Latest activity by Candace, on December 27, 2017 at 19:59
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are making a lot of our decorations ourselves such as the archway and the centerpieces and we have mentioned to some people that we will are going to sell them afterwards and a lot of people have shown interest in buying them off of us. This made it super worth it to us because we are getting the money back for them vs renting and just putting the money out for them. Not sure if this would be an option for you or not.

• B
    Newbie January 2019 Ontario
    Bre ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi there,

I'm in the GTA. What wedding warehouse did you go to?

Thanks!

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We've made our own table numbers but that's about it. We didn't want to do too much DIY because we knew we wouldn't have the help to put it all together as pretty much all of our wedding party is out of the city and hours away. If you're planning DIY I'd start right away so that you're not leaving it until the last minute and stressing about it. Can't wait to see what you have planned!

• Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm doing diy and i have to make about 30 of them. So it may seem stressful at first, but the biggest thing is getting the idea set in stone as to what you want. I changed my mind about 5 times on what i wanted to do.

• Stacy
    Curious August 2019 Ontario
    Stacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi there!

My mother just got married and we made all her centerpieces and it was quite a lot of fun! You can lower costs by : Doing what Erin said - using recycled material, and if you find a warehouse that offers buying things in bulk and at lower prices you're set ! There are a few wedding warehouses in Mississauga we went to and purchased candle holders etc, in bulk at amazing prices! Be mindful when you DIY because it is very easy to go crazy! Erin is right you really do not need to pay for a decorator, make a plan and get some family together !

We are incorporating a lot of DIY projects into our own wedding, if you can start collecting things now or see things on sale that you are going to use BUY IT NOW! Look for coupons , and ask family to keep an eye out too!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Firstly, welcome Frances! Glad to have you in the community. We made our own centerpieces and some of our decor and we really enjoyed it. It was stressful planning when we could get people together to help us do it but otherwise it was a great cost saver and easy to make. We also used a lot of recyclable material so we can just recycle 90% of what we used. I personally don't think it is worth paying a decorator unless you really need to or have to. Get a crew of family and friends together to help you out. Makes them feel involved and saves you a bunch of time and money.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics