Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Amelia
Beginner September 2022 Ontario

diy or Etsy?

Amelia, on May 8, 2019 at 09:15 Posted in DIY 0 12

Hello,

I am planning on having a rustic wedding, and I love the idea of DIY. I did find many ideas on Esty, but see they always charge so much. I have heard from some that buying for etsy is worth it, but I know like most people it comes to the money we save for our wedding. What is the way that you have created your wedding? Did you have a DIY or buy from etsy or somewhere similar?

12 Comments

Latest activity by Kelly, on June 17, 2019 at 01:23
  • Kelly
    Devoted May 2020 Ontario
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing most things DIY that we can.. that being said we’ve been buying our centrepieces from micheals and using the 45-50% off coupons to save! As well as ordering some things on Wish (I know it’s cheap but it’s just for one day) and everything works well together.
  • Amelia
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you everyone for the thoughtful and helpful advice. I think I'm going to do what many of you have said and try the DIY route. I am also going to see if Etsy does have something things I am looking for and I hope to be able to start ordering them soon
  • Amelia
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks. I have been looking but the cost is a lot for something's I want to do. I did find lovely bridal party asking card and they are reasonable, but also cute.
  • Amelia
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I see. I am looking to use more mason jars for my centerpieces. I saw a few on Etsy, but they cost alot. I know know I can get some at Walmart or elsewhere for cheaper
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did a bit of both. We ordered all the lanterns for our centerpieces off etsy but spray painted them a nice gold colour after and then added some decorations to them.

Other than that we did it DIY most of decorations based on inspo pics and it saved us a lot of money! there are some things that we just couldn't replicate ourselves but also couldn't justify spending so much money on it so we scrapped those ideas all together. It totally depends on how much time you have available for DIY and also what your budget is.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Depends on the things you're looking for! Like what items did you want to DIY/Etsy?

I looked on etsy a lot and decided to DIY a lot myself or..... check to see if it was cheaper on amazon LOL! As much as I love and would rather give the money to individual artists... I couldn't justify spending $40 on a ring bearer pillow when Amazon had them for under $10...

• Sheena
    Curious August 2019 Ontario
    Sheena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it really depends on a number of things:

1) Where you get material/ cost - some etsy shops can get material in bulk for cheaper which in turn makes it cheaper to buy from them. If you can get material for free though go for it.

2) Your skill level - if you are comfortable doing it go for it. But if you end up not liking it it could cost you more to redo/ get someone else to make in after.

3) Quanity - Some things are easier to buy in bulk than others. Also a bigger scope can mean more of your time so that is something to weigh too.

My FH and I are pretty much DIY'ing everything for our wedding, the rings, dress, his bow tie, ceremony furniture, decor, invites... etc. Not regretting any of it and generally saving money. Probably the only thing that we spent more on by DIY'ing is the invites.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Like others mentioned, it definitely depends what you're looking for on Etsy - somethings (like our invitations/centerpieces) are manageable but other things (like silk flower petals, hair accessories) I found what I wanted on Etsy and didn't want to attempt the DIY.

I find DIY takes time, but you have more than 2 years until your wedding so you can definitely tackle some of these projects now while you have time!

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Depends on what you are looking at... some things are cheaper and some are not. A lot of the super crafty things are not HARD to make, they just take a lot of TIME. I made almost everything for my wedding and can definitely see the convenience of just buying it and being done with it if you do not have a lot of spare time. It was definitely a struggle to get everything done for me!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I realized Etsy was generally inexpensive but the shipping isn’t.

make sure you check off the box that searches for items in the city/province you live in. That really brings the shipping down.

i used Etsy for my MOH and BM gift and I’m also ordered lace cupcake wrappers which are amazing.
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As Becky has said, some things are cheaper, and some are not.

You really have to do your research and look into pricing. Keep in mind where the product is coming for and the shipping costs as well.

I wanted to get our guest book from Etsy (Wooden sign with our names and wedding date on it), Many of the ones that I found on Etsy were $100 plus depending on size, type of wood etc. I showed what I wanted to my FH and he goes " I can do that for you for cheaper" so he is going to get a nice piece of wood, stain it, and I am going to stencil or get my sister in law to help me design something for it!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

HI Amelia!

Welcome to the wedding wire community Smiley smile I did bit of both- There are somethings that are def cheaper- I bought 5 pack of hangers from home sense for 10 bucks and had someone with nice writing write the title, date, their name. It depends on what you want from Etsy. Honestly I wish I would have bought a circut board and I could have done soo much myself in regards to signs, shirts, even can use it to write nicely on invites. If your crafty I would highly recommend it!

What type of items are you thinking of buying off etsy?

There is a great person I have dealt with off Etsy- shes from Stoney Creek and does cligraphy workshops. This would be great if want to DIY yourself and learn all the tricks

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics