Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner October 2024 New Brunswick

Diy-ing from across the border- Help?

Justine, on July 10, 2022 at 00:04 Posted in DIY 0 6

This might be a little bit of a weird one for the community. I'm in the US, my fiance is in NB, and we're getting married on his side of the border. We're DIY-ing most of this because I'm stubborn and don't like foisting off responsibility onto third parties. The trick is, being a lowly southerner, I don't know where I should be looking for supplies that I can work on when I'm up visiting and planning this geeky-madness that will be our wedding. The most I've ever seen that I'm familiar with is Michaels, and running google searches is also kind of useless because my IP pings in the States, so even if I search for say "Fredericton" as an area, I still get answers for the US, or at best, Toronto. Any craft supply store suggestions for your (very lost & confused) southern sister?

6 Comments

Latest activity by Malyssa, on July 11, 2022 at 13:23
  • Malyssa
    Expert October 2022 Alberta
    Malyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Just did a quick search and I think Michaels would be your best bet. They do have some dollaramas, no Dollar tree.

Also, sometimes places like thrift stores can be great for finding items! looks like they have a value village and a few smaller shops. (i've found alot of items at thrift stores. )

• C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Michaels is great, I found a lot of wedding stuff at dollarama, but like Rayanne mentioned check Facebook marketplace for wedding stuff in his area, you'd be surprised how much people are trying to get rid of stuff from their wedding.

• J
    Beginner October 2024 New Brunswick
    Justine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I drive in (flying has been too unpredictable and expensive) so that was going to be most of what I'm doing, but I wanted to see if there's anything that I'd be missing when I'm up there. From experience, the less I have to truck through Border Patrol, the better.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you're personally flying in every now and then, I would buy stuff in the states and bring it in your luggage. Even if your stuff is triggered by customs, trinkets like that won't be taxed much. Fredericton is a smaller city compared to most Canadian major cities (there are less people in the whole province of NB than a suburb in Ontario) so whatever selection you find up there will be limited compared to where you are.

• Lissa
    Devoted October 2022 Ontario
    Lissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with what Rayanne said. I’m a big crafter and Michael’s is the only large scale store we have (no Joann or hobby lobby etc).
    Dollartree is in Canada and they get a lot of the same supplies as the US store. You’ll have to check if they’re in NB
    Dollarama is a Canadian dollar store and they have a decent craft isle as well
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would try the marketplace in his area. You'll get super cheap (already put together in some cases) decor that if you keep searching might work for you. Canada really doesn't have much besides Micheals as far as I know and I've lived here all my life.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics