Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Maya
Expert January 2019 Alberta

Diy flowers?

Maya, on October 17, 2018 at 05:34 Posted in DIY 0 12
So I am looking for some feedback on doing diy bouquets and boutonnières. I have decided that I want a cascading bouquet like this picture. I have watched a YouTube video and was wondering if it is worth it to try to make it myself. I’m wondering if anyone has any advice on doing diy bouquets and if there is any place to get nice silk flowers that is in Canada. I have found someone who will do the 5 bouquets, 5 boutonnières and 1 toss boquet for 525, with real touch flowers. Although the flowers look beautiful I still feel it is very expensive.

Diy flowers? 1

12 Comments

Latest activity by Rachel, on October 30, 2018 at 16:56
  • Rachel
    Frequent user July 2019 Ontario
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Of course!! Congratulations on your pregnancy too! So exciting!!

The first 2 videos are the easier, less tedious flowers that I used for most of my flowers. I also did a few of the 3rd one, but they take FOREVER (despite being easy!!).

https://pin.it/ccbzxocsia4rcw

https://pin.it/orxpuvtihl3vno

https://pin.it/itf53drmmyyyub
  • Maya
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Gree it sent before I was done typing

I would love to see the patterns. I think tho with the time frame and being 19 weeks pregnant I probably won’t have the time or the patients to make them lol. But I would love to learn Smiley smile thank you
  • Maya
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It would be interesting learning about how to do them, I would love to see the
  • Rachel
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Some of them were quite tedious haha and I was losing patience towards the end but ended up finding some simple flowers that were basically just rolling fabric and they worked well! I can share the patterns if you end up wanting to give it a try!!
  • Maya
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    😮 that’s very impressive 😊 you must be really talented. I do not think I would be able to have the patients to make the flowers from scratch.
  • Rachel
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I made my own satin flowers out of fabric I bought on sale at Fabricland. It cost me $118 (for fabric and supplies) to make 5 bouquets, 8 boutonnieres and a corsage for the mother's. The cost would vary depending on how complicated your flowers are (some use a lot more fabric than others).
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think so - but I haven't looked anywhere else and I know that buying the flowers would cost more money just based on having to get vases and whatnot. Here is a link to the rental page: https://houseofsilk.ca/wedding-rentals/

• Maya
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Are their prices readonable at The House of Silk?
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ahhh I see. I think you'd have to go out an look... Check out Michael's or something, see what you like/what you want, and see how much it would cost. If it is going to cost quite a bit to get the quality flowers you want, it may be worth the cost to have someone do it for you.

I've seen quite a few girls do DIY bouquets, and I'm always a little surprised by how good they turn out. I think it seems more daunting than it is... but it will take a good chunk of time to do them to a quality that you'd be happy with. If you have the time to dedicate to it, I would definitely lean towards DIY..

• Maya
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My fiancé is allergic unfortunately and that is the reason we are not going with fresh. I just wonder if it’s cheaper to diy bouquets and have them turn out decent or if it’s better to buy them.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have heard that quality faux flowers can actually be more expensive than just doing fresh ones... I'm not sure what to recommend, as I went with Valley Flowers (through Costco).... I got my bridal bouquet, 3 bridesmaids bouquets, 2 corsages, and 11 boutonnieres, for $425 (taxes in).

It's supposed to come with 1 bridal, 3 bridesmaid, 6 boutonnieres, 4 corsages, and a bag of rose petals, but I needed lots of boutonnieres so they let me do substitutions... It's fresh flowers... but they ship them for free, they'll get here on the Wednesday before the Saturday wedding, and apparently that's the perfect amount of time to let them bloom/open up.

I realize this is no help for your faux flower predicament... haha, but in case you consider going with fresh, I would look into Valley Flowers (Costco)... they may be able to do cascading bouquets...

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I myself will be using silk flowers but luckily we have The House of Silk in Winnipeg where we can rent them.

I did a quick google search and this site looks pretty good for Alberta: www.specialeventrentals.com

If you were for sure going to DIY them yourself though then I can't be of much help as I will be either getting them made at house of silk or having my baba who is a florist to put them together with me.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics