Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

V
Newbie June 2020 Ontario

diy decor and it’s execution on the day of

Vivian, on July 28, 2019 at 21:45 Posted in DIY 0 11
Hi everyone! I’m debating if I should do DIY for wedding decorations or hire someone. I like to do crafty stuff so DIY is very do-able for me. I enjoy it and it saves us money. However, I’m just not sure how to execute it on my wedding day, i.e. who to set them up. For example, I want to do simple mason jar wrapped with burlap, add some flowers, hang them on the chairs as aisle decor. And then move them to dining table as reception center piece later, together with some candles and lanterns. All simple and easy. All these pieces can be easily made prior. But on my wedding day, I need someone to hang them up on the chairs, collect them after ceremony and move them to dinning table and assemble the rest center piece. I won’t be able to do all these myself. I am not having a bridal party so I can’t ask bridesmaids either. I feel wrong to ask guests to do stuff for me. If I hire a florist, she/he will take care of all this. I’m also planning to do a lot of wedding signs myself, the same question: who is going to put them up? For brides out there who have or are planning to do DIY, what’s your plan to set up your DIY pieces on your wedding day? Or is it better off to hire someone so we are not stressed about where things should go? Thanks!

11 Comments

Latest activity by Tracy, on March 9, 2020 at 15:18
  • Tracy
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing a lot of DIY including setting everything up the day of the wedding. However, we are a 6pm ceremony. If it was earlier in the day, I'd be getting the hall the night before to do decorating. I don't like to ask for help, but eventually you have to. Lean on your closest friend/family member you trust with your vision. For the little things needing to be done when I leave to get ready it will be a close friend and I'm paying some acquaintances to set a few things up for us. Smiley smile

• R
    Devoted November 2019 Quebec
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Doing the exact same thing! (minus the going the day before). I have a friend who is very detailed oriented and good at organizing people so she's my go to. I know my family will help her but she is an unbiased person who will do it my way and not my moms lol. I would just ask a friend to help and I'm sure if other guests see them they will offer to help.

• Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have a friend and co-worker who I have hired as my day-of coordinator. She will handle all of the set up for me so I don't have to worry about it, but I also have a very flexible venue who are allowing us in a day or two early to set up (they don't have anything else going on and this will not always be the case). Some venues will set up the centrepieces for you, but it depends on the venue.

• Karine
    Curious October 2019 Quebec
    Karine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The majority of my decor is DIY. I decided to invest more in my flowers with a florist (garden feel wedding) she will create the centerpieces with my decor. She will also install the chair flowers and centerpieces in the hall. I also have a coordinator who will oversee the entire event and install everything else, the diy backdrops, all the other details (favours, card box, photo station, and rest of the decor on the other tables). The florist is styling the chair flowers in a way which we can reuse them on table surfaces along with the rest of the table decor (bar, dj, favour and sweet tables). My coordinator will be taking care of dismantling and installing them in the hall.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

DIY projects are great to do and save money as said. Flowers from the supermarket rather than florist saves you more money

Best thing I find within family is the help given wherever its needed. 1 hour ahead of the ceremony, family members can place the mason jars and signs where needed before guests arrive.

When done the ceremony, if you have siblings, they can help by bringing the mason jars into the reception area and place them on the table as centerpieces. This way you get the pictures taken with all your guests and husband alone separately.

We did this exact way to have a good time of the ceremony, pictures, cocktail hour and reception timing smoothly. Hope this helps.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It usually ranges from 500 to 1000 and that includes 12 hours day of and night before rehearsal with set up.

• V
    Newbie June 2020 Ontario
    Vivian ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Becky. I can definitely look into the day of coordinator. Do you know how much they typically charge?
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Glad to hear your place has an event coordinator ! was going to suggest day of wedding coordinator

• V
    Newbie June 2020 Ontario
    Vivian ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    @Holly, Yes the venue has a event coordinator. I forgot about that. I assume they would be able to support. Thanks!
  • Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m doing both! Some DIY, but i’ve hides a decorator for things like tablecloths and chair covers, etc, and she’ll be doing all the set up and take down
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Do you have a venue coordinator or day or coordinator? If so that is who would do it. If not then you can always assign a member of your wedding party or family to do that.
    We did a ton of DIY and our day of coordinator just did that I instructed her to do and it went without issue.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics