Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Melissa
Frequent user September 2018 Quebec

Ditching some traditions? Father-daughter dance, garter, etc.

Melissa, on August 23, 2018 at 12:25 Posted in Wedding reception 0 14
FH and I are not traditional and we’re finalizing timelines and activities. We are considering not doing the garter, parents toasts, father-daughter and mother-son dances. Is anyone else not doing these things? If so, were your parents okay with it?

14 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on September 26, 2018 at 14:06
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re skipping the garter toss and bouquet toss, although everyone is against me skipping the latter.
  • Colleen
    Curious October 2018 Alberta
    Colleen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are the same. We are having toasts but not the father - daughter dance... debating the garter still. We just explained to the parents that it is our wedding and we will do the things that are important to us. The day will be busy enough to try to fit in things we are not interested in

• Gabrielle
    Frequent user May 2019 Ontario
    Gabrielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiancés mother wasn’t really happy that we aren’t doing the father-daughter mother-son dance. Afterall, this is his second wedding and my father passed away and I wouldn’t want to just be sitting there and it be awkward. We will still do the garter and bouquet toss though.
  • A
    Devoted October 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are not some things, including speeches as both FH and I hate talking in crowds, if others want to than that is fine. I am doing the father/daughter dance. My FH doesnt dance so I'm not sure how we will deal with that as of yet.
  • Shelby
    Curious August 2019 Alberta
    Shelby ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiancé and I arent going to be doing the parent dance, I'm skeptical on the garter mainly because what it actually represents. And the bouquet I feel would be more appropriate to just give the girls a flower each. I dont have many friends coming to the wedding and they're all wonderful and deserve to find their loves. My mom is very open minded and encourages anything I do. As even my mother will be walking me down the aisle instead of my father.
  • K
    Newbie April 2019 Ontario
    Kenya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I went to a wedding where instead of the bouquet toss, the bride gave a flower to each one of the women of influence in her life.
  • Megann
    Frequent user September 2018 New Brunswick
    Megann ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re definetely NOT doing the garter, I’m not even putting that thing on -_-‘ I’m a daddy’s little girl...so we are doing the dance Smiley smile My MIL is not attending, so no mother/son dance...I’ll make a speech, because everyone else is shy lol
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiance doesn't want to do the mother son dance unless his mom really wants to. We haven't gone over that with her yet but probably will soon.
    We will ask our parents if they want to say a toast and if they do then they can, if not then they won't. We don't mind either way.
    We haven't really talked recently about the garter/bouquet toss. It's not a priority so if we don't to it we don't mind.
    Our parents aren't the people that seem to care much if they have all this special stuff at the wedding so I don't think they will mind if we cut them.
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am not doing the bouquet toss. but instead doing giving a bouquet and honoring a couple I am very close with (they are like parents to me. I call them momma and dad. so I wanted to do something to give them recognition.

we are doing the dances. and i'm giving the parents the option for the speech part. i'm sure they will do something.

as much as its your wedding. and I am a "do what you want" mentality. maybe feel your parents out on the speech and dance. they may want it because they are so excited and proud of you and this day.

• Cherry
    Devoted October 2019 Quebec
    Cherry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I also will cut lots of those things like garters, kissing games, parents dances etc. We desire more easy going wedding party with lots of social dancing instead of playing games on the couple. My Fiance and i won't be following any traditions and we won't be getting approval from anyone.

• Angel
    Frequent user June 2019 British Columbia
    Angel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am not doing any of the ones you mentioned either...I don't believe in doing tradition for the sake of sticking to traditions...My FH and I both don't care and neither does our parents. My mom was insistent on the tea ceremony so that's the only 'traditional' thing we are doing...

• Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have decided I am not doing a garter or bouquet toss, and we are not doing father/daughter and mother/son dances. We would just like to spend more time partying and visiting as our venue needs us out by 12am. I do not think that either of our parents will care much. We are both a bit awkward in front of crowds and just feel the dances will be more of a chore than a fun thing!

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My mom would say to do whatever I want, but I think once she starts really picturing certain traditional things not happening, she'd probably miss it.

Not really a problem though, as I want to do all the traditional stuff... I grew up on traditional weddings, and it's what I've personally always wanted.

I would say, if it's not something you or your FH want to do, leave it out. If your parents really want something in particular, they can make a request. But most likely you'll be able to for-go the traditions you don't want.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Although I will be doing all of those - my parents couldn't care less if we do them or not. They have yet to give any feedback really other than for the food and alcohol (they insist we have open bar - which we were already going to do, and they are even willing to pay a few hundred for the food so that we can add mac & cheese to the pulled pork buffet - there will be salads, chicken, buns, etc. but they really want mac & cheese... lol).

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics