Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Peggy
Super May 2019 Alberta

Disappointed with our ceremony planning - Venting

Peggy, on February 6, 2019 at 12:05 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 16

I just need a place to vent.

Last night, my FH and I had our last meeting with the Reverend at the church we're getting married at. We're getting married at a church because A ) it's one of the only locations we could find that was reasonable in cost that could fit all our guests and B ) it's important to our parents that it's in a church. I'm (low) Anglican, and he's Baptist.

Turns out, this is a high Anglican church. We knew that the ceremony would be religious from the get go, and were fine with that. But after last night, it's way more than we were expecting. Full on 30-45 minute service (so my FH, I and our wedding party actually sit down for part of the sermon).

The Anglican church is relatively modern - they no longer have the word 'Obey' in their vows (which is awesome), and our Reverend is a lady and super funny and chill. But it's more formal than the Baptist services he's used to.

What's most disappointing to me, and really making me sad though, is that there is no 'You may now kiss your bride' moment. I didn't realize how important that was until I was told it's not in there. I asked if we could add it, and was told no. I understand the Reverend's position - it's not part of the official service, and her faith doesn't allow her to change the service. But it's still disappointing.

We're thinking of recruiting one of the groomsmen (the rowdiest one who I know will be loud and rowdy the night before at the rehearsal, so will sort of set the tone) to call out "You may now kiss your bride!" at the appropriate point. Maybe gauche and rude, but...I think it's a moment people -expect- in a wedding. Or is it just me?

16 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on February 8, 2019 at 12:14
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Well I don't think you will feel bad after hearing what happens in the Indian wedding end.

Just as the service for a Christian wedding at a church can take is about the same for an Indian wedding 1 hour of the day. Though you can kiss without the words said isn't the same as us. As soon as the couple becomes husband and wife, the priest does allow the husband to say his wife's new name as they change once married.

You have that option to still kiss at the end without feeling the guilt. Indian weddings, there never is a kiss and the couple just carries on with group pictures and families at the end.

The only difference now is that the generations are changing where we can kiss if we want to as oppose to not.

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We're allowed to kiss; the ceremony just doesn't include the words.

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh wow! so they said you aren't allowed to kiss at the church? or she's just not allowed to say those words? if so - when they say you are now husband and wife I would just kiss. This would bother me so much and its your special day so do what you want!! kiss that hubby of yours! Smiley smile

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think if someone, anyone, says/yells/whispers loudly "Kiss her!" that would suffice. It's too bad it can't be included, but honestly, I think the split second to say "you may now kiss your bride" seems big now, but in the grand scheme, it doesn't stick out. I'm only married 2.5 weeks and I don't remember my officiant saying it... Just my excitement as we had our first kiss as husband and wife. I know she said it, but honestly, your minds going, your emotional, distracted... anyone starting off that moment still gets you to that moment of everyone cheering and hootin' & hollerin'... Have fun!!

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I would 100% just steal a kiss when you can in front of everyone!
  • Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It could be fun to make it part of your reception entrance! Have your DJ or MC announce the first kiss.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ditto this!

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow I didn’t know that some religions don’t have that in the ceremony.
    I agree with Stephanie. It could upset some people. Maybe if the groomsman whispers it or something?
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Unfortunately not. There's only one at this church.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh my gosh! I really feel for both you and your FH!

is it possible for you to use another reverend? At my FH’s church we get to choose our priest and some of them are much more relaxed on rules than others.

Is that at all an option?
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are getting married at a Lutheran Church and they asked us preferences of what we would like said as they believe times have changed. They confirmed who would be walking me down the isle and if it was okay to say does this person give you away, they asked if we wanted you may kiss the bride part, they had few other questions and if we wanted vows- which we do. I would be disappointed about it too! When they do the I now pronounce you husband and wife I would do it then.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's funny how the small things we didn't think we'd miss/notice not having end up being something we get disappointed over.

I agree with Stephanie and that I would grab a kiss at the declaration of husband and wife. While having a groomsman yell out: You may now kiss the bride would be hilarious, Stephanie make a valid point of the seriousness of wedding ceremonies in the church. It could be something he yells out at the reception after the grand entrance.

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Valid point. It's certainly tugging on the other side of me - not wanting to upset anyone.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Do they do an announcement of "I now pronounce you husband and wife"?

If they did I would just grab a kiss at that point! Being religious myself I think someone screaming something out during a church ceremony would be seen a highly inappropriate and could upset the Reverend and anyone there who is religious. A wedding is a sacred ceremony for almost all religions and churches and is a very serious event. It's okay to have fun but I wouldn't start asking people to scream out things.

Just my 2 cents!

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yeah - that's what we'll probably do. I'm surprised by how disappointed I am about it, honestly. In the grand scheme of things, it isn't that important but right now it seems to be. Does that make sense?

And it's too late in the game to change our location, and find a JP (we're less than 90 days out), and we wouldn't get the 750$ we've paid to use the church back!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Before I even finished reading your post my brain automatically thought "Get one of the groomsmen to yell it!!" Maybe something like "Kiss her already!", "Kiss her you pansy!", or something along those lines would work!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics